Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Default Aligning factory T56 Bellhousing

Ok, so I have been doing alot of reading, since i always have owned automatic lt1's. I see many many many recommend strongly with manual transmissions in general, especially T56 cars due to the roller bearing to align the bellhousing properly. But with these cars specifically, I dont see anyone really doing it UNLESS they have a mcleoud or quicktime bell.

How many of you guys actually did or do a proper bell alignment with your t56, or do you all just shove em on, and how concerned should i be if i do infact just shove it on. a magnetic base dial gauge is cheap on amazon, as are offset dowels to bring it in spec if its out.

just basically looking if you guys do it or say NAY!! and slap it together
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

LT's I've never aligned, LS's I only measured for throwout bearing clearance.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    LT's I've never aligned, LS's I only measured for throwout bearing clearance.
    I just don't wanna trash the input shaft with a roller bearing by not aligning it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle
    Silver 1996 Camaro Z28, Green 1996 Camaro Z28

Every time I've pulled one which is in total 4 twice on my daily and 1 for my dad and 1 on my other camaro we never aligned it, didn't know you were suppose to, they usually have a dowel pin on one side of the block or on the bell housing.
    96 Camaro Z28 Silver Mostly Stock, Full Exhaust
    96 Camaro Z28 Green Big Cam, Quick Performance 9 Inch Rear End, Full Exhuast

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by 96z28SideSwype View Post
    Every time I've pulled one which is in total 4 twice on my daily and 1 for my dad and 1 on my other camaro we never aligned it, didn't know you were suppose to, they usually have a dowel pin on one side of the block or on the bell housing.
    Those are standard dowel pins. They are not perfect, manufacturing tolerances vary and molds wear. Gm decided it was worth the warranty claims to not spend time on assembly line aligning them. There's some good articles online about 3 blocks from the same run that were outside the standard max deviation of .0025, from the same manufacturing time, hence this post. Could explain why so many people I've read toast roller pilot bearings and go to bushings, even though tremec says flat out not to.

Motor has standard dowels now. I think I'm gonna check it to be safe. I'm ocd and I can't afford problems.

2021 Charger Scat 392

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle
    Silver 1996 Camaro Z28, Green 1996 Camaro Z28

Yeah with doing 4 times I've only had 2 bearings go out on my camaro and one was the throw out bearing snapped on me lol, the other was a pilot bearing but that was before I had ever pulled the trans my self it got replaced with a bushing then I replaced the clutch and swapped it back out for a bearing and its been fine ever since so I dont know if i just had a freak bearing or what.
    96 Camaro Z28 Silver Mostly Stock, Full Exhaust
    96 Camaro Z28 Green Big Cam, Quick Performance 9 Inch Rear End, Full Exhuast

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 96z28SideSwype For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I pulled my trans/bell housing and reinstalled it (when the car was still a T56), helped LT1 friends at least 3 times, and all cases, in my ignorance, relied on the dowel pins.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

It's a total pain in the ass. I didn't do it when I initially put my Mcleod on my cam-only stock motor and had shifting issues up top. When I got the 383 from Karl, I decided to align it properly (especially because the motor had been line honed for new mains) but there is no centering bore in the Mcleod. I bolted the bellhousing on the motor, pulled the front plate from the T56, set the magnetic base on the back of the crank and bolted the front plate over it so a bit of the base was sticking out through the input shaft hole. Then I clamped the dial on the base from the outside and used the input shaft bearing bore as a reference while spinning the crank. The geometry isn't perfect measuring this way but it gets the job done and will allow you to adjust the dowels until everything is centered.

AFAIK, I never had problems with the stock bellhousing alignment but checking it isn't that hard if you already have everything out of the car.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Catmaigne For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catmaigne View Post
    It's a total pain in the ass. I didn't do it when I initially put my Mcleod on my cam-only stock motor and had shifting issues up top. When I got the 383 from Karl, I decided to align it properly (especially because the motor had been line honed for new mains) but there is no centering bore in the Mcleod. I bolted the bellhousing on the motor, pulled the front plate from the T56, set the magnetic base on the back of the crank and bolted the front plate over it so a bit of the base was sticking out through the input shaft hole. Then I clamped the dial on the base from the outside and used the input shaft bearing bore as a reference while spinning the crank. The geometry isn't perfect measuring this way but it gets the job done and will allow you to adjust the dowels until everything is centered.

AFAIK, I never had problems with the stock bellhousing alignment but checking it isn't that hard if you already have everything out of the car.
    I figure I can put the flywheel/clutch/bell on and align it on the k before sliding under the car

2021 Charger Scat 392

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Catmaigne View Post

I had the McLeod SFI housing and I actually called McLeod about this as well as my transmission builder (very well known). The gist of both calls was that I should, but the bellhousing doesn't have provisions for this and most people don't.

I wouldn't worry about it on a stock engine with the stock bellhousing. My engine was line bored plus the aftermarket McLeod housing and I ran as-is and didn't experience any problems. YMMV.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to birdie2000 For This Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast