Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

Default 96 LT1 Swap into 94 Z28. Can I use OBDII PCM?

Hopefully next weekend I'll be pulling the built LT1 out of my long term 1996 Z28 project so I can drop it into my new 1994 Z28. Both Z28s are complete, running 4L60E cars. Reason for swapping is that the body on the 96 is junk and needs to be scrapped.

From everything I've been reading, all I have to do to run the 96 engine in the 94 body, is swapping in the OBDI knock sensor and using the older 94 style ignition coil since the connectors are different.

I originally planned on doing that (if that's correct and all I'll need to do) to stay with the OBDI setup. But I've been wondering, would it be possible to just plug in the 96 OBDII PCM into the the 94 harness and use that? The reason I ask is because I've already had Solomon tune my 96 PCM (that I still haven't used as the 96 isn't drivable currently) and I have some 30lb injectors that he tuned it for.

But if I stay with the OBDI PCM, I'll have to send it off again to be tuned for everything like I did the other PCM. I know the 96 has a crankshaft position sensor that older LT1s don't have but I've read that it can be left unplugged with no affects since the OBDI PCM won't be looking for that
    1996 Camaro Z28-Built engine project car
    1994 Camaro Z28-Bolt on project car

Lurker

Status
    Name
    eric
    Vehicle
    1993 TA

Just use your 96 harness and pcm. There's very little difference between body harness'. Just pull up the wiring diagram for both and you might need to move some pins around at the connector on strut tower, or the stands that go inside the vehicle behind computer. I did this with my 94 into 93 body.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by FastLT1 View Post
    Hopefully next weekend I'll be pulling the built LT1 out of my long term 1996 Z28 project so I can drop it into my new 1994 Z28. Both Z28s are complete, running 4L60E cars. Reason for swapping is that the body on the 96 is junk and needs to be scrapped.

From everything I've been reading, all I have to do to run the 96 engine in the 94 body, is swapping in the OBDI knock sensor and using the older 94 style ignition coil since the connectors are different.

I originally planned on doing that (if that's correct and all I'll need to do) to stay with the OBDI setup. But I've been wondering, would it be possible to just plug in the 96 OBDII PCM into the the 94 harness and use that? The reason I ask is because I've already had Solomon tune my 96 PCM (that I still haven't used as the 96 isn't drivable currently) and I have some 30lb injectors that he tuned it for.

But if I stay with the OBDI PCM, I'll have to send it off again to be tuned for everything like I did the other PCM. I know the 96 has a crankshaft position sensor that older LT1s don't have but I've read that it can be left unplugged with no affects since the OBDI PCM won't be looking for that
    Use the 94 harness and have someone else tune it. Please. Also swap a 94 front pump in the trans and valve body. Otherwise ur trans isn't gonna survive because the 96 pwm trans IS different shifting internally than the 94.

Or swap the entire engine/body/dash harness along with modules over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Shoebox has the body connector pinouts for each year:

http://shbox.com/1/harness_connector_faces.htm

Note tabs at bottom for each connector.
    Last edited by Injuneer; 02-13-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    eric
    Vehicle
    1993 TA

Good point tubby, forgot about the pwm, but that's only for lockup, and can be altered by blocking the tcc control valve in the valve body, which will make it on/off just like the 94. Everything else is the same function wise. Just need to double check pin outs@trans to verify none of the other circuits have been relocated, but I'm pretty sure the added solenoid used previously empty cavities

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by blown383ta View Post
    Good point tubby, forgot about the pwm, but that's only for lockup, and can be altered by blocking the tcc control valve in the valve body, which will make it on/off just like the 94. Everything else is the same function wise. Just need to double check pin outs@trans to verify none of the other circuits have been relocated, but I'm pretty sure the added solenoid used previously empty cavities
    No, the valve body down shift sequence is different. Using a 96 trans on a 94 PCM will make the downshift a 3 neutral 2 or 2 neutral 1 downshift. I can show you a video of my impala before I had Frank change the valve body and he yelled at me for doing it, VIOLENT down shifts, which are bad for trans, @Cahall can elaborate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by blown383ta View Post
    Have you seen this?

http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...d-interchanges
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

The ONLY way to swap 4L60Es between a '94 and a '96 is to swap the complete valve body, internal harness, and front pump. Any attempt to try to "modify" any of these parts to work with the wrong year PCM WILL result in transmission failure.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CPT For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cahall View Post
    The ONLY way to swap 4L60Es between a '94 and a '96 is to swap the complete valve body, internal harness, and front pump. Any attempt to try to "modify" any of these parts to work with the wrong year PCM WILL result in transmission failure.

Frank
    Wow I didn't know that. I thought you just had to run a new wire to the 94 PCM for the 96 TCC or whatever it was that I read. In your opinion, if I were to send one of these transmissions to you to be built, would you recommend just having the 94 built or having the 96 with swapped parts built?

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    Use the 94 harness and have someone else tune it. Please. Also swap a 94 front pump in the trans and valve body. Otherwise ur trans isn't gonna survive because the 96 pwm trans IS different shifting internally than the 94.

Or swap the entire engine/body/dash harness along with modules over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    @Tubby Z28, I sent you a PM. I'm not sure if you received it or not because for some reason, my inbox doesn't show new sent messages anymore so I can't see what I sent you lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FastLT1 For This Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast