Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    Do u feel the chasis will flex?

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN
    Wheel base is too long so harder to transfer weight. Also too much of the weight is on the nose which again makes it harder to keep the weight on the rear tires. Car is ridged as you can put one safety stand under one side and the other side of the car will not drop.

Tire Shake is when the tries hook completely and try to go forward faster than the car will actually move. If you watch a top fuel car in slow motion you will see the tires hook then slip, then hook then slip until they get off the line a ways. This is for a reason and it's so they don't go into tire shake as they would if the tire hooked 100%. If you have enough power the tires will actual try to out run the car.

While my power is no where near a TF car the weight of my car makes it not want to accelerate. So with enough power the tires try to out run the acceleration of the car. At 4600 pounds that's close to double the weight of a Pro Mod. They have twice the power at 4000HP and they have issues with tire shake. The lighter car wants to accelerate easier than the heavier car so it takes more power to have the same effect. So it's really no surprise I'm seeing the same thing if I try to leave too hard. It just may take some time to get the tires to hook but then slip and hook again on my setup. That's not an easy thing to do and not lose the weight transfer on a car with too much nose weight and a long wheel base.

This and other reasons why I know it could take me some time to get this to make a clean pass.
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 02-06-2017 at 08:59 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Guillaume
    Vehicle
    95 Caprice & 89 RX7

1989 Mazda RX7 Turbo II, 357ci LT1, AI TFS CNC heads, Garrett GTX4708R, Ford 8.8" SAS, TH400. (Current project)
    1995 Chevy Caprice, Twin turbo 357ci LT1, 9.96 @ 141.2 mph (sold)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GuillaumeC For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

So clean, beautiful car

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 02-07-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Guillaume
    Vehicle
    95 Caprice & 89 RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    So clean, beautiful car

http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...l=1#post475029

lol
    1989 Mazda RX7 Turbo II, 357ci LT1, AI TFS CNC heads, Garrett GTX4708R, Ford 8.8" SAS, TH400. (Current project)
    1995 Chevy Caprice, Twin turbo 357ci LT1, 9.96 @ 141.2 mph (sold)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GuillaumeC For This Post:

So I gotta ask... why did you go down this road? Like what motivated you to tackle something like this? Sincere question
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuillaumeC View Post
    HEY!! lol sorry, on my phone

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Great pics...

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Awesome build, very cool and not something you see every day.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    So I gotta ask... why did you go down this road? Like what motivated you to tackle something like this? Sincere question
    I had a 69 Nova for years I raced. It was an all out race car, Big Block Chevy 600ci, glide, Dana 60, fiberglass body with custom paint and just what you expect from racing 101. It was fast but no one was surprised as it looked fast. You could make 20 passes and grill out between passes if you wanted. It was boringI sold the car because I just was not interested and couldn't get myself to spend anymore money on it. It only could do one thing and you had to be at a track, usually 90 degrees outside, to have any fun with it. Drinking 3 gallons of water, never having to pee all day and still losing ten pounds was not that fun anymore.

I enjoy engineering even if not by trade. When I purchased the Impala new I swore I would never have a pure race car again. It had to be a street car that retained all the stuff a street car is, like air conditioning, comfy seats, cruise control, etc. and be able to drive it anytime I wanted. So the goal became how do you run with the race cars without being one? How does the car work just like it did from the factory but be anything but that?

That's how this all got started and I have had more fun with this Impala then I ever had with my 69 Nova. Even running 9's it was funny to see peoples faces when they came over to check out the car. They expect an all out race car but that's not what they saw, the more questions they ask the bigger their eyes get. The racers didn't know what a 4L60E was but they knew what a ten bolt rear end was. The jaws would drop when they just saw it run a mid 9 at 150 something and the dam thing has a ten bolt rear end in it. Then what it weighs at that was against everything they ever knew about what was possible with a ten bolt. The fact it had a Small Block Chevy also blew their minds as everyone expects it to be a Big Block if it's going that fast.

One of the best ones was when I went to track that had never seen the car before. Pulled into the Pro lanes and the gal running the staging lanes came over and knocked on my window. I hit the power window button, which just confirms this is not a race car, and she tells me I'm in the wrong lanes. I need to be in the street car lanes. I told her I was fine and she told me again. I said I was fine again and she turned around and keyed her mic, telling the tower "this dumb ass wouldn't get out of the wrong lanes with his slow street car". I made one pass, beat the race car that I was running against, and she never questioned me again.

Another track referred to it as the "Big Black Car" because I don't think they knew what it was. But everyone at that track knew which car they were talking about when they announced the "big Black Car" was up again.

The looks you get from the guys with race cars when a stock looking Impala, four door at that and the size of a barge, beats them. You also get picked out in the staging lanes for other cars to run against as they see it as an easy win and will look good to all their friends. Surprise they get when you post 157 MPH in your barge!! That will just never get old.

With all the glory comes the down side as making all this work is not easy and why racing 101 wants nothing to do with this. It's a ton of work and a whole lot of trial and error. I bet I have had the engine out 200 times in this car and that's not overstating it. Getting rid of the 4L60 E and ten bolt makes it a little easier but I'm not trying to run 9's anymore. It's a tall order to make something this big go that fast in a street car version so I don't expect this to just happen. For all the problems I have had and will have, I still enjoy it as when it all works it's fun as hell. If the Impala can do a 7 anything it's as mean as the Nova but a thousand times more fun. What you can do with this car is endless!!

None of that would have ever happened with the Nova because it did nothing anyone didn't expect it to do. And I couldn't even drive it on the street!!
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 02-07-2017 at 06:20 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

So clean! Ive always wanted one of these for a daily driver.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast