Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Default Jeff Green Impala

A lot of mis-info about what I'm running and to answer those that have asked. Here is the quick and hope that answers and clears up what the Impala is and is not.

1. 1996 Impala with everything in it, even the power antenna, power leather seats, ABS, air bags, power windows, you get the picture. It's stock.
    2. Because every thing is in it, it weighs 4520 on the Atlanta Dragway scales in Nov. 2016. More is being added so it will be close to 4600 pounds this year.
    3. Billet LT1 block that accepts all factory componets. Small supercharger with nitrous, close to 2000HP. Drives on the street pretty nice because I took the care to make sure it did. You would never know what this car is to ride down the street in it.
    4. Runs on unleaded gas, OBD computer, Opti, hydr cam, MSD digital 6 box and coil. MAF, stock map sensor and basicly the stock GM ignition system less a MSD 6 box. Even has the stock intake still on it.
    5. Computer does all the functions the stock Impala does, even shifts the tranny at all times, including on passes.
    6. All passes are run with a full closed exhaust system to the rear bumper, no open headers. Even factory brakes and I can stop the car at the first turn off at almost any track at 150 MPH.
    7. The only change from driving it on the street to making a pass at the track is changing the rear tires to slicks, no computer changes, fuel changes or anything else, still running unleaded.
    8. NHRA legal 8.5 car with changes to make it 7.5 legal. Everything is hidden as much as possible to keep the car looking stock.
    9. One owner car originally driven for the first year as my business car.
    10. Goal -- to run a 7.9 at close to 180 MPH driving it to and from the track, no trailer needed. Only needed change from the street to the track are rear slicks. Going to drag week and running 7's on only changing the rear tires. No one has ever done that even with a light car doing racing 101 which takes them hours to change from street to strip, they will crap if a car this big and heavy does it. That may sound crazy but the original goal was 9.9, it went from a 10.20 to a 9.61 on the next pass. Big jumps when you finally get everything right. 9.61 was on the stock Impala driveshaft. No one thought that was possible either but there are pictures of the stock drive shaft under the car after that pass at Atlanta and the car weighed 4440 on that day. That was also on a 4L60E and stock ten bot rearend. That same setup would have run 8's in a Camero.

For anyone that thinks weight doesn't matter, there is a reason you strip cars of everything you can and that's because it takes a fraction of the power to move a light car over a car that weighs thousands of pounds more for the same ET. If that's ever down played you can take "The Impala Challenge". Basicly weigh my Impala on the scale at the track we are at, doesn't matter if it's right or not, and put salt bags in your car until it weighs the same as mine. Last time someone took me up on this their 8 second car couldn't get out of the 10's. This is not to say in any way my car is better, just to get those "guys" that blow off the weigh issue to understand just how big of an issue it is. I don't get too excited about what a car runs unless I know what it weighs. And that's not from the guy that owns the car telling me as racers all tend to tell you their car weighs a lot more than it actual does. I want to see it on the scale!! A lot of "New World records" are not so much from the power of the motor as they are from just a light ass car in forms of racing that have no weight rules. Want to go fast? Strip your car, nothing wrong with that as weight is the enemy. Racing 101, I failed that class if you haven't figured it out yet

That should answer most the questions without really getting into a lot of detail. Lots of people "everyone" told me it would never run a 9 doing it the way I was doing it, not gutting the car and just going racing "101" with everything. For several years they were right until they were not anymore. I was crazy back then and sure I'm crazy now, just remember everyone that does new/different things is crazy. It will never work, right

Glad the LT shootout remains each year. If nothing else I'm glad to be a cheerleader for the LT1 could be or what can be done with old school 23 degree stuff. The LS is good until you really want to make big power and you end up buying all new parts anyway, cost difference becomes less and less.

You're not going to offend me if you think I'm full of it going that fast in a car that heavy using the stuff above. Would not be the first time I'm the "crazy guy". Just know it's not a race car, it's doing something no one else has done and that keeps me interested. Make it hard or I'm bored!!
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 02-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Green View Post
    A lot of mis-info about what I'm running and to answer those that have asked. Here is the quick and hope that answers and clears up what the Impala is and is not.

1. 1996 Impala with everything in it, even the power antenna, power leather seats, ABS, air bags, power windows, you get the picture. It's stock.
    2. Because every thing is in it, it weighs 4520 on the Atlanta Dragway scales in Nov. 2016. More is being added so it will be close to 4600 pounds this year.
    3. Billet LT1 block that accepts all factory componets. Small supercharger with nitrous, close to 2000HP. Drives on the street pretty nice because I took the care to make sure it did. You would never know what this car is to ride down the street in it.
    4. Runs on unleaded gas, OBD computer, Opti, hydr cam, MSD digital 6 box and coil. MAF, stock map sensor and basicly the stock GM ignition system less a MSD 6 box. Even has the stock intake still on it.
    5. Computer does all the functions the stock Impala does, even shifts the tranny at all times, including on passes.
    6. All passes are run with a full closed exhaust system to the rear bumper, no open headers. Even factory brakes and I can stop the car at the first turn off at almost any track at 150 MPH.
    7. The only change from driving it on the street to making a pass at the track is changing the rear tires to slicks, no computer changes, fuel changes or anything else, still running unleaded.
    8. HNRA legal 8.5 car with changes to make it 7.5 legal. Everything is hidden as much as possible to keep the car looking stock.
    9. One owner car originally driven for the first year as my business car.
    10. Goal -- to run a 7.9 at close to 180 MPH driving it to and from the track, no trailer needed. Only needed change from the street to the track are rear slicks. Going to drag week and running 7's on only changing the rear tires. No one has ever done that even with a light car doing racing 101 which takes them hours to change from street to strip, they will crap if a car this big and heavy does it. That may sound crazy but the original goal was 9.9, it went from a 10.20 to a 9.61 on the next pass. Big jumps when you finally get everything right. 9.61 was on the stock Impala driveshaft. No one thought that was possible either but there are pictures of the stock drive shaft under the car after that pass at Atlanta and the car weighed 4440 on that day. That was also on a 4L60E and stock ten bot rearend. That same setup would have run 8's in a Camero.

For anyone that thinks weight doesn't matter, there is a reason you strip cars of everything you can and that's because it takes a fraction of the power to move a light car over a car that weighs thousands of pounds more for the same ET. If that's ever down played you can take "The Impala Challenge". Basicly weigh my Impala on the scale at the track we are at, doesn't matter if it's right or not, and put salt bags in your car until it weighs the same as mine. Last time someone took me up on this their 8 second car couldn't get out of the 10's. This is not to say in any way my car is better, just to get those "guys" that blow off the weigh issue to understand just how big of an issue it is. I don't get too excited about what a car runs unless I know what it weighs. And that's not from the guy that owns the car telling me as racers all tend to tell you their car weighs a lot more than it actual does. I want to see it on the scale!! A lot of "New World records" are not so much from the power of the motor as they are from just a light ass car in forms of racing that have no weight rules. Want to go fast? Strip your car, nothing wrong with that as weight is the enemy. Racing 101, I failed that class if you haven't figured it out yet

That should answer most the questions without really getting into a lot of detail. Lots of people "everyone" told me it would never run a 9 doing it the way I was doing it, not gutting the car and just going racing "101" with everything. For several years they were right until they were not anymore. I was crazy back then and sure I'm crazy now, just remember everyone that does new/different things is crazy. It will never work, right

Glad the LT shootout remains each year. If nothing else I'm glad to be a cheerleader for the LT1 could be or what can be done with old school 23 degree stuff. The LS is good until you really want to make big power and you end up buying all new parts anyway, cost difference becomes less and less.

You're not going to offend me if you think I'm full of it going that fast in a car that heavy using the stuff above. Would not be the first time I'm the "crazy guy". Just know it's not a race car, it's doing something no one else has done and that keeps me interested. Make it hard or I'm bored!!
    Thank you jeff for giving us some insight into it, and what can be done with THE STOCK OBD COMPUTER AND OPTI!!!

Are you coming to the shootout this year ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Yes and hope I have the engine under control. I think it's close as only hurting one cylinder, not all eight, which means your only off in one and it will work or all eight would burn.

But have done this long enough to know if you fix one thing then something else will show up you never saw before. Tire shake worries me as it already has done that. Hard to accelerate that much weight on tires no larger than I'm running and keeping them in control.

At least this year it will leave with the wheels in the air on every pass, it was no where close to that last year.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Looking forward to seeing it again at the shootout Jeff. The car is very impressive to say the least

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to firebird_1995 For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Wow... Im impressed.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Very nice!!
    Last edited by fullforce; 02-05-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Guillaume
    Vehicle
    95 Caprice & 89 RX7

Jeff, you sent me some pictures of your car, the cage, motor, etc. a few years back. Do you mind if I post them here?

I'm sure everybody here would love to see them!
    Last edited by GuillaumeC; 02-06-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    1989 Mazda RX7 Turbo II, 357ci LT1, AI TFS CNC heads, Garrett GTX4708R, Ford 8.8" SAS, TH400. (Current project)
    1995 Chevy Caprice, Twin turbo 357ci LT1, 9.96 @ 141.2 mph (sold)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GuillaumeC For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuillaumeC View Post
    Jeff, you sent me some pictures of your car, the cage, motor, etc. a few years back. Do you mind if I post them here?

I'm sure everybody here would love to see them!
    PLease!!!!!
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

It has changed a little but those pictures are close. I'm fine with it and thanks for doing that!!

A picture of the car just looks like any other Impala SS you would ever see, no hood scoop or raised bump in the hood, no fancy paint, no fancy wheels, just a stock looking 1996 Impala. So no reason to post a picture of the car full view. If you look under the car then that's a totally different picture.

FWIW - This seems a lot like the project to make the old version run 9's. I took a lot of abuse over those years when it still would not do it and having problems. So if that happens just understand what's going on and if it were simple then it would have already been done. Trying to make a GM computer operate 2000HP then use unleaded gas and a bunch of other stuff no one uses, it can take a little time. That old version ended at a 9.2 approaching 160 MPH before I gave up. This version is more getting the motor to be happy as the tranny and rearend should be fine. Chassis worries me a little bit.
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 02-06-2017 at 03:48 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Do u feel the chasis will flex?

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast