Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: Surface rust

LTX Regular

Status

Default Surface rust

So I'm finally getting around to getting this car back together which I will post a build thread about when it's done. I happened to take a look at the 355 shortblock I purchased from somebody on here a couple years back that's been in storage and I noticed some surface rust on the mating surface where the block meets the head. It was stored with a couple of large trash bags over it taped to the engine stand and oiled down prior to being stored but apparently the bags got a smallish hole in them probably when I transported them to another storage room. I was wondering if it's something I can just clean up or would it be wise to just take it to the machine shop to be re prepped. I'm using cometic head gaskets and head studs since it's close to 12:1 compression with a decent size cam. I can get pics this weekend if that would help. Thanks guys for any help.
    94 Camaro V6 5-Speed turned Heads/Cam Lt1 6-Speed

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

I was wondering what ever happend with that block? If it's light it shouldn't be a real problem just hit it real lightly with a roloc disk and you should be good. It shouldn't be pitted in that short time...Now that I say this it's been almost 4 years. How do the cyl walls look? I know I wiped them down with assembly lube to make a thick coat for storage.

Just looked back in my build thread and the block is only decked 10 thousands so there is some room if in needs to go back to the machine shop but i highly doubt it.
    Last edited by Sahara54; 01-18-2017 at 04:35 AM.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status

Nah its just surface rust. No pitting whatsoever. I'm was just nervous about it because I know the cometic gaskets have to have a certain smoothness to seal good.

LTX Regular

Status

Way back when I got it from you I was just go t o slap the car back together and get it back on the road and that has now changed into me rebuilding the entire car. All suspension parts, all new bushings everywhere, all new interior even carpet. Now I'm finally getting around to building that motor and putting it in soon.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

hit it with the roloc and see how it turns out and make a call from there
    94 Z28 - 396 - TH400 - 9in - SLOW

7. The Following User Says Thank You to agenthol302 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 94basemodel View Post
    Way back when I got it from you I was just go t o slap the car back together and get it back on the road and that has now changed into me rebuilding the entire car. All suspension parts, all new bushings everywhere, all new interior even carpet. Now I'm finally getting around to building that motor and putting it in soon.
    I know that process all too well. Why Cometic's? I've never had issues with the stock Fel-pro or the Victor Reinz. Actually running the VR .026's on mine now...spray a lil copper coat on both sides and seals perfect. Plus they are 50 bucks cheaper a side
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    I know that process all too well. Why Cometic's? I've never had issues with the stock Fel-pro or the Victor Reinz. Actually running the VR .026's on mine now...spray a lil copper coat on both sides and seals perfect. Plus they are 50 bucks cheaper a side
    Because cometic are reusable...duh...hence why I use em

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by 94basemodel View Post
    Nah its just surface rust. No pitting whatsoever. I'm was just nervous about it because I know the cometic gaskets have to have a certain smoothness to seal good.
    Cometic just has to be as smooth as stock, some aftermarket gaskets require smoother, but a factory deck is perfect for cometic, I have installed 2 sets of them no issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post: