Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Formula97 View Post
    Trying to figure out who is at fault here. Car was tuned with a mail order tune. I received the heads completely redone with re-machined valves and new springs along with porting. I was told they were suppose to be ready to bolt on. Valve's were set at 1/2 turn past 0 lash. Motor break in went smooth, fired up real strong and did 2k rpms for 20 minutes. Did oil change and a few days later I went to take the car on the road, about 10 min into the drive the low coolant light comes on so I pull over to check things out and im leaking oil badly. Coolants mixing with oil. Pulled off valve cover on driver side and this is what I find.

http://imgur.com/a/uahdx

So what now? Is this just bad luck or is the person who did the heads liable?
    Considering ur self aligning roller rockers contacted the retainer and made the locks pop out that would be installer error....so did u put the rockers on?

No reason to break in a roller motor like an old flat tappet cam man...

Also 1/2 a turn seems a little loose, even more loose with how buried that poly lock set screw is, stock rocker studs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Matt
    Vehicle
    57 Chevy

Does the first picture of the rocker on #7 exhaust represent the way it ran or have you adjusted it since you tore the engine down? If that's the way it ran, it looks like your pushrods are too short to me. The centerline of the roller appears to be behind the edge of the valvestem.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    Considering ur self aligning roller rockers contacted the retainer and made the locks pop out that would be installer error....so did u put the rockers on?

No reason to break in a roller motor like an old flat tappet cam man...

Also 1/2 a turn seems a little loose, even more loose with how buried that poly lock set screw is, stock rocker studs?

I did put the rockers on. However the other rockers were just fine. Rocker studs are ARP 3/8. idk someone else mentioned the poly lock set screw pretty far down also but I dont see how they could be different on these
    Last edited by LT1Formula97; 01-16-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I did put the rockers on. However the other rockers were just fine. Rocker studs are stock. idk someone else mentioned the poly lock set screw pretty far down also but I dont see how they could be different on these
    No offense, but #1 stock rocker studs are way too weak/short for roller rockers and not meant for them, which brings me to #2 your rockers look to have the geometry all wrong and misadjusted, which will cause a retainer or lock to get fouled up and come apart. You barely had any stud holding the rocker in place man.

Edit: did u reuse the stock head bolts too? They are one time use.

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

No offense, but #1 stock rocker studs are way too weak/short for roller rockers and not meant for them, which brings me to #2 your rockers look to have the geometry all wrong and misadjusted, which will cause a retainer or lock to get fouled up and come apart. You barely had any stud holding the rocker in place man.

Edit: did u reuse the stock head bolts too? They are one time use.

Actually rocker studs were not stocks that is my mistake. I got a new set of ARP 3/8. New head bolts were used also. Cant comment on geometry but I used a test and found the 7.150 length to fit best. Ill try to find the pic I had of that

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Actually rocker studs were not stocks that is my mistake. I got a new set of ARP 3/8. New head bolts were used also. Cant comment on geometry but I used a test and found the 7.150 length to fit best. Ill try to find the pic I had of that
    Idn, something doesn't look right with the rockers that are still on.

2021 Charger Scat 392

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

Idn, something doesn't look right with the rockers that are still on.

Def appreciate the time your taking to look at this

Here is pic of springs and under rocker arm http://imgur.com/a/KK2xQ

Also I found the picture of the pushrod install. Here is how it looked when I turned the motor over http://imgur.com/a/ZdPfb

So far It looks like I fucked up the rocker arm install im guessing?

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Also I found the picture of the pushrod install. Here is how it looked when I turned the motor over http://imgur.com/a/ZdPfb

now i can see better on my laptop, damn eyes getting old. you sure there is clearance between the self aligning nubs and the retainer/locks on the ones that are still on? is it possible you over revved or had a lifter fail?

i see nothing wrong with the spring or retainer itself, beside the said damage from the rocker smashing into it some. the valve stems seem to have enough sticking up for the self aligning portion to function without it or the rocker contacting the retainer. only thing i can really think of based off these pictures is a) lifter collapsed b) rockers too loose or c) over rev. if the rockers were loose the sustained 20 mins at 2k didnt help, and i have bumped a sa rocker off while putting a valvecover back on on the drivers side with a lifter that was bled down.
    2021 Charger Scat 392

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

also coolant mixing with oil sounds like something went south on head install, either nicked the head gasket or you didnt put enough sealant on the head bolts. what sealant did you use?
    2021 Charger Scat 392

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

now i can see better on my laptop, damn eyes getting old. you sure there is clearance between the self aligning nubs and the retainer/locks on the ones that are still on? is it possible you over revved or had a lifter fail?

i see nothing wrong with the spring or retainer itself, beside the said damage from the rocker smashing into it some. the valve stems seem to have enough sticking up for the self aligning portion to function without it or the rocker contacting the retainer. only thing i can really think of based off these pictures is a) lifter collapsed b) rockers too loose or c) over rev. if the rockers were loose the sustained 20 mins at 2k didnt help, and i have bumped a sa rocker off while putting a valvecover back on on the drivers side with a lifter that was bled down.
    Hard to tell if there is any clearance or not since motor is still in the car. The rockers themselvers cant move up and down they only move barely left and right.

On the head install I used permatex high performance seal on the threads of the bolts and I put a high temp copper rtv on the front and back of block extending about a 1/2 up the heads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast