Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

@NightTrain66 any insight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTXTech Sponsor

Status

Looking at the PR lide of the rocker arm, it looks like that pushrod was not in the 'cup" when rocker was adjusted and rocker was flopping around or if ALL of the posi locks are at the exact same ht, something changed and put slack there (stud was not tight, and cam loose, lifter collapsed allowing slack, etc).

I would compare the ht on ALL of the posi locks with a strait edge and see if that one is a "hair" taller. If so, the pushrod was not in the cup when adjusted.

If it is at the exact same depth, a lifter collapsed or stud cam loose.

Loose stud would be easy to diagnose, just see if its tight.

If all of that checks out, the lifter collapsed and put slack in the valve trane.

Valve tips are long enough to clear the SA rockers so if the 1 retainer has any marks on it, it would ahve been from the rocker when it hopped off of the valve tip and was hammering around.

Lloyd

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain66 View Post
    Looking at the PR lide of the rocker arm, it looks like that pushrod was not in the 'cup" when rocker was adjusted and rocker was flopping around or if ALL of the posi locks are at the exact same ht, something changed and put slack there (stud was not tight, and cam loose, lifter collapsed allowing slack, etc).

I would compare the ht on ALL of the posi locks with a strait edge and see if that one is a "hair" taller. If so, the pushrod was not in the cup when adjusted.

If it is at the exact same depth, a lifter collapsed or stud cam loose.

Loose stud would be easy to diagnose, just see if its tight.

If all of that checks out, the lifter collapsed and put slack in the valve trane.

Valve tips are long enough to clear the SA rockers so if the 1 retainer has any marks on it, it would ahve been from the rocker when it hopped off of the valve tip and was hammering around.

Lloyd

If anything the one that came off is shorter compared to the others, but barely by a hair it seems. They seem extremely close and it is still hard to tell when using a straight edge. So guess I need to check the lifters next. Probably going to pull the whole engine to make working on it easier. But the question is where do I go from here? Heads are salvageable im guessing but my block is done right?

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Formula97 View Post
    If anything the one that came off is shorter compared to the others, but barely by a hair it seems. They seem extremely close and it is still hard to tell when using a straight edge. So guess I need to check the lifters next. Probably going to pull the whole engine to make working on it easier. But the question is where do I go from here? Heads are salvageable im guessing but my block is done right?
    Only way to know is to take it apart. May not be shot yet

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTXTech Sponsor

Status

yes, pull the engine, take everything apart and see what happened.

The damage under the valve cover should not effect oil/water contamination UNLESS the piston smacked the valve and cracked/destroyed the cylinder wall or head somewhere.

Really will not know until it is all stripped down and then do an autopsy to see what happened.

Lloyd

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NightTrain66 For This Post:

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

Yup gonna be a busy weekend for me. I think I also found out why the spring blew. I believe I must have put the RR on upside down, I did the flat part on the botton and the round part on poly lock

Major fail on my part hopefully I didnt do any serious damage to the block

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Formula97 View Post
    Yup gonna be a busy weekend for me. I think I also found out why the spring blew. I believe I must have put the RR on upside down, I did the flat part on the botton and the round part on poly lock

Major fail on my part hopefully I didnt do any serious damage to the block
    Yeah that'll do it, because then ur lash was never set correctly.

We all make mistakes. Get it back together and make it run.

2021 Charger Scat 392

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123