Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

Default Spring came apart on new heads

Trying to figure out who is at fault here. Car was tuned with a mail order tune. I received the heads completely redone with re-machined valves and new springs along with porting. I was told they were suppose to be ready to bolt on. Valve's were set at 1/2 turn past 0 lash. Motor break in went smooth, fired up real strong and did 2k rpms for 20 minutes. Did oil change and a few days later I went to take the car on the road, about 10 min into the drive the low coolant light comes on so I pull over to check things out and im leaking oil badly. Coolants mixing with oil. Pulled off valve cover on driver side and this is what I find.

http://imgur.com/a/uahdx

So what now? Is this just bad luck or is the person who did the heads liable?

Pictures of rocker arm and spring http://imgur.com/a/KK2xQ

Picture of tested pushrod length of 7.150 http://imgur.com/a/ZdPfb

no pushrod on very last valve driver side http://imgur.com/a/bVyec
    Last edited by LT1Formula97; 01-17-2017 at 06:37 PM.

What head gaskets did you use?
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Hell Im betting they are going to say "why didnt you check them out" im guessing. At my work we allways check but thats me I dont trust anyone.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

shitty situation but I doubt you can get anything outta anyone on this one
    94 Z28 - 396 - TH400 - 9in - SLOW

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    Hell Im betting they are going to say "why didnt you check them out" im guessing. At my work we allways check but thats me I dont trust anyone.
    Got them from someone fairly reputable so I didnt feel the need....def regretting it now tho if thats the case

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Coolant in the oil? man head gasket? Crap how did you not frack up the valve or did you?
    Last edited by Stormyweather; 01-16-2017 at 08:28 PM.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jordan
    Vehicle
    1997 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    Coolant in the oil? man head gasket? Crap how did you not frack up the valve or did you?
    So coolant is a head gasket and no way related to this? Or maybe I need to just get the motor pulled and keep digging. I added a few more pics of the valve tip. Im not sure if it has any damage to it or not looks and feels fine to me but idk there looks like some wear on the tip I guess.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Yeah Id at least pull that head off. But both heads off and check the surface of heads and block. And all of the valves, keepers and such. Plus check that one for straightness. I cant believe you didn't do any damage. Loosing a keeper can happen. always double check smack lightly them with a mallet( little love tap) from the top check , check, check. Heads don't pass coolant thru gaskets am I right? Or is it the Intake that doesn't?
    Last edited by Stormyweather; 01-16-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Dan H
    Vehicle
    1995 LT1 Caprice

I'd chalk it up to bad luck. There's no liability on the shop's part that can be proven. Unless you can directly point to work that they did that caused the failure - which is nearly impossible here - you're on your own. Sorry, man!

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Formula97 View Post
    Motor break in went smooth, fired up real strong and did 2k rpms for 20 minutes.
    Un-needed on a roller engine. Bolt in and go easy for the first 300-500 miles. Done.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atlantadan For This Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast