Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Checked w/ BLUEDEMON95 and still has not installed rebuilt MSD unit. He apparently had been using the F-Body as his daily driver, and couldn't take it out of service. But now has alternative ride, so will install it shortly.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula Firehawk

I posted a thread on LS1Tech, but I'll add info here too since this seems to be a widespread issue. I had my original MSD opti, 9 years old, that the rotor screws backed out and the rotor detached. Sent it into MSD to make sure it wasn't damaged and it looks like they sent me a brand new opti minus the pigtail to the wiring harness (I know it was my old harness since the little gray retaining clip was broken off when I sent it to them). Put it in the car and it seemed OK, but I noticed a slight miss at 2400rpm. Started it up a week or two ago and the idle was horrible, jumping from 1000 to 1500, 2000, down to 7000 etc... My data logs show what the others have said, there is a split second spike where the rpm shoots way up with no throttle input.

I'm calling MSD tomorrow, but I am half tempted to get another opti in the meantime. I have already spent half the summer with the car not running and I've spent some money replacing other parts that apparently weren't the issue...

1995 Firehawk #58 M6
    - GMMG, WS6 Store Short Stick, MSD Opti, SLP SFCs, UMI Adj. PHB, UMI LCAs, UMI Rel. Brackets

Lurker

Status

Rotor screws backing out is not uncommon for any brand Opti/ Whatever Opti you do get, remove the rotor screws and use Blue Loc-Tite on the screws that hold rotor on

Yeah this and a few other threads note what seems to be a broad issue with the MSD Optis over the last year or so. Ironically if you had kept your 9 year old one and just bought a new MSD cap & rotor you would have been fine as that Opti worked otherwise for a long period. You likely got one of the newer inventory units that seem to be problematic with from my understanding not a clear "why" as to what the problem is. I think MSD is focused on the optical sensor they use
    96 BBB 383/T56

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BALLSS For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spudnick View Post
    I posted a thread on LS1Tech, but I'll add info here too since this seems to be a widespread issue. I had my original MSD opti, 9 years old, that the rotor screws backed out and the rotor detached. Sent it into MSD to make sure it wasn't damaged and it looks like they sent me a brand new opti minus the pigtail to the wiring harness (I know it was my old harness since the little gray retaining clip was broken off when I sent it to them). Put it in the car and it seemed OK, but I noticed a slight miss at 2400rpm. Started it up a week or two ago and the idle was horrible, jumping from 1000 to 1500, 2000, down to 7000 etc... My data logs show what the others have said, there is a split second spike where the rpm shoots way up with no throttle input.

I'm calling MSD tomorrow, but I am half tempted to get another opti in the meantime. I have already spent half the summer with the car not running and I've spent some money replacing other parts that apparently weren't the issue...
    yep, sorry man. same thing happened to me. returned it 3 times only to have the same issue every time it came back. I sent them a working fine opti and got back an ash tray.

go figure, my Amazon opti is working great *knock on wood*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

My opti is in El Paso right now getting looked at, not for a spike, but a closed loop/hot idle misfire

Mine was rebuilt in 2014 and had max 1500 miles on it

post link
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt freak, M6,
    68 Firebird 400, YC 400, 670 heads M4
    14 Fiat 500e
    , 83kW motor, 24kWh 364 V battery

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by captainofiron View Post
    My opti is in El Paso right now getting looked at, not for a spike, but a closed loop/hot idle misfire

Mine was rebuilt in 2014 and had max 1500 miles on it

post link
    Do urself a favor. Just sell it amd go delco. Im sorry, I fought it for a long time, thinking the cost and name meant it was good... but it wasnt.

Im not only an LTXtech member... Im also the Owner.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula Firehawk

I got my MSD opti back again today. Repair sheet says that the optical sensor was replaced with an updated one to correct noise issues with the cap. Also looks like they replaced the cap as the one I sent in had a scratch on it. I won't be putting it on my car though since the Summit opti I put on has been running like a champ. I'll probably keep it as a backup.

I'm curious if anyone received theirs back recently with the new sensor and how its working...

1995 Firehawk #58 M6
    - GMMG, WS6 Store Short Stick, MSD Opti, SLP SFCs, UMI Adj. PHB, UMI LCAs, UMI Rel. Brackets

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

So after all this time the summit opti is still the one now? Being that my w/p was leaking at the flange and Im there any way. Im thinking of opti as well. Any incite would be nice thanks. Cause MSD isn't? right?

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    So after all this time the summit opti is still the one now? Being that my w/p was leaking at the flange and Im there any way. Im thinking of opti as well. Any incite would be nice thanks. Cause MSD isn't? right?
    Recently bought a new Delco and turned out it's a reman. Ran great for about 2k when then the rotor broke apart. I did loctite the screws they did not back out. Had a used msd rotor kicking around that I put in and had zero issues and 5k later. Car regularly saw 6500rpm+.

Still a firm believer in a Delco with a msd cap and rotor kit as the best unit to use.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - 355/M6
    Built 355, LE1 Ported Heads/Intake, CC306, Full Suspension, 4.10s
    1994 Fire-Am LTx/M6 (378rwhp/380tq)
    EFI Connections 24x, Forged 355, AFR 190s, LE1 223/230, Full Suspension, 4.10 Gear

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 95mysticta For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Spudnick View Post
    I got my MSD opti back again today. Repair sheet says that the optical sensor was replaced with an updated one to correct noise issues with the cap. Also looks like they replaced the cap as the one I sent in had a scratch on it. I won't be putting it on my car though since the Summit opti I put on has been running like a champ. I'll probably keep it as a backup.

I'm curious if anyone received theirs back recently with the new sensor and how its working...
    I'm still trying to find out what happened to the unit they tested, repaired and returned to BLUEDEMON95.

Interesting that they seem to have determined the "noise" was coming from the cap. I suggested that way back in post #93. Amazing that after all the effort in alerting them to the problem, sending them the data logs/analysis, and pointing them in the right direction, they have stonewalled everything. Not very professional.

Live and learn.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast