Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    Maybe they are still working on it.

It's not how fast you mow. It's how you mow fast.
    If you read earlier posts, they indicated they found the problem, and sent the repaired unit back to the owner, so he could reinstall it and see if it fixed the problem. End of communications.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    If you read earlier posts, they indicated they found the problem, and sent the repaired unit back to the owner, so he could reinstall it and see if it fixed the problem. End of communications.
    hopefully they have a lessons learned process in place to capture what has been going wrong so they can then correlate it to a root cause.

BUT you never know.
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt freak, M6,
    68 Firebird 400, YC 400, 670 heads M4
    14 Fiat 500e
    , 83kW motor, 24kWh 364 V battery

4. The Following User Says Thank You to captainofiron For This Post:

Lurker

Status

It would be good to know if the "returned and repaired" opti does in fact resolve the problem. Disappointing the person asking for help on the forum and with injuniers effort was able to get MSD to look at the problem and return a repaired opti....and not respond +/- , thank you, anything.

Would also be good if MSD would respond as to what their findings were and if there is now a "revised" MSD Opti

I applaud MSD for even attempting to make a "better mouse trap". The market for LT1 specific parts within the SBC platform is very thin. Bean counters may advise Mgt. that producing a Opti for a small market share of SBC, with part suppliers they have, is not a + profit for the company as a whole and they may discontinue making a complete Opti and just make C&R kits.

I was one who jumped on the MSD Opti when it came out. Got on a GP on another forum for $450. I had a high RPM (above 5k) stumble, misfire. I went through several valve train & ignition parts thinking "the new MSD opti can't be bad"...before putting back on my original AC Delco Opti and everything was fine. Sent the unit back to MSD but sadly it had taken me over a year chasing everything else but opti (I thought it was the valve springs I had just installed laying over at 5k rpm) so not under warranty. I had to pay the $100 rebuild. MSD just sent a complete new unit. IDK if they ever rebuilt mine as I put a witness mark on housing plate to see if they returned "my" Opti. I sold it for $400 as "rebuilt by MSD" and don't know if it worked or has the same high RPM break up my original had. Person who bought it on FS section of forum never contacted me with a problem
    96 BBB 383/T56

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BALLSS For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    I think that's what I was saying. But guessing lack of more post the owner is happy. Injuneer you've helped me in the past and I'm very thankful for that. And I'm still reading the tuning file you or Gary gave me and starting to understand it more. Once again thank you sir.

It's not how fast you mow. It's how you mow fast.
    Last edited by Stormyweather; 06-19-2017 at 07:09 PM.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Well Im gonna pull my opti tomorrow and send it off, I will definitely post up results, I already talked to 96z28SideSwype to keep some eyeballs on it while its there.

Im more curious what testing they do, as far as operating conditions, hot/cold, restarts, high voltage et cetera
    14 Fiat 500e

9. The Following User Says Thank You to captainofiron For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    I think that's what I was saying. But guessing lack of more post the owner is happy.......
    The "owner" of the defective unit was happy when a cheap replacement Opti solved the problems the MSD was causing. He's not a member here, so we wouldn't see his feedback. He's on CamaroZ28. com. I was the go-between trying to get the defective unit returned to MSD, coordinating with 96z28sydeswipe. I suspect the owner got the rebuilt Opti back and figured screw it, I'll save it until my cheapie dies, then go through the trouble of installing the MSD.

We've got people on two other sites asking us what Opti to buy, and I can't just assume they are now reliable. I really can't recommend MSD at this time.

Oh well, time to move beyond it. Doesn't affect my life one way or the other. Was just trying to help both sides.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle
    Silver 1996 Camaro Z28, Green 1996 Camaro Z28

What I can say now that a change has gone into effect, is this 1) we havent heard back from the gentleman that @Injuneer was helping me talk to. But we did determine it was the module in the opti. We did replace said module with a known good and IMO better quality module. SO the change that was made and should be effecting all the opti as of about a 2 weeks-4 weeks ago is this better module went into all new optis and all incoming optis for RMAs, now this doesnt mean all module were affected, I have one of the older modules that have shown issues. Mine is fine and it hasnt gone bad this is my second MSD opti however my first one lasted about 3 years this one is 2 years old this year im tempted to take it off to get said new module but mine is working just fine so as the saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it technically, so with that being said @captainofiron since you do post here you can be the first to say if youre happy with the opti or not with said new module.
    96 Camaro Z28 Silver Mostly Stock, Full Exhaust
    96 Camaro Z28 Green Big Cam, Quick Performance 9 Inch Rear End, Full Exhuast

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 96z28SideSwype For This Post:

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 96z28SideSwype View Post
    What I can say now that a change has gone into effect, is this 1) we havent heard back from the gentleman that @Injuneer was helping me talk to. But we did determine it was the module in the opti. We did replace said module with a known good and IMO better quality module. SO the change that was made and should be effecting all the opti as of about a 2 weeks-4 weeks ago is this better module went into all new optis and all incoming optis for RMAs, now this doesnt mean all module were affected, I have one of the older modules that have shown issues. Mine is fine and it hasnt gone bad this is my second MSD opti however my first one lasted about 3 years this one is 2 years old this year im tempted to take it off to get said new module but mine is working just fine so as the saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it technically, so with that being said @captainofiron since you do post here you can be the first to say if youre happy with the opti or not with said new module.
    thats really good to hear.

BTW I will send out mine tomorrow
    14 Fiat 500e

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Thanks for the feedback. I emailed BLUEDEMON95 on CZ28. com to see if he ever installed the rebuilt unit.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

BE CAREFUL WITH THE SECOND ORING AROUND THE PLUG. I rtv'd it and it still let oil in and just killed my summit opti.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast