Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Name
    chris
    Vehicle
    1996 z28

Default Need transmission advice

Alright boys here is the deal. Bought a 1996 camaro Z28. Built a 385 big cam stroker. Transmission that came with car had a tore up front pump and cracked case from guy that set converter in wrong. Got a transmission off craigslist and a stall converter from this forum long story short on that combo, bad news bears. Now I am at an in pass. Do i buy a new 4l60e and converter, do i do a t56 conversion, or do i do a 4l80e conversion? Looking for the cheapest most efficient option the only reason i ever started this camaro build was because of wifes influence. Once i was almost finished with it she was diagnosed with acute leukemia and has been undergoing a bone marrow transplant away from home. My plan is to have the build done so when she is actually able to come home to me and the kids i can pick her up in the camaro. Let me know your thoughts on which option is the best i am not an expert on this era of cars and transmissions im used to standard 350 builds and a local junk yard producing me with a turbo 400.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

So sorry to hear of what the wife and family are going thru... i wish u all the best.

Now as for the transmission questions, I will tag our transmission forum sponsor. Many of us have CPT builds in our cars. I personally have one in my trans am and one in my Impala ss. Love em both...
    @Cahall of CAHALL PEROFRMANCE TRANSMISSIONS can better help u.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Your best bang for the buck will be to have the 60e gone through by Frank.
    A T56 swap isn't hard but you can have a built 60e and converter for the same price.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

And a @Cahall build will stand up to serious abuse, just make sure to check ur converter for needing shims. I tore up a pro race build by being dumb and not shimming converter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by boatshelms75 View Post
    Now I am at an in pass. Do i buy a new 4l60e and converter, do i do a t56 conversion, or do i do a 4l80e conversion? Looking for the cheapest most efficient option
    It's going to depend on how much power you think you're going to make.

Cheapest route that wpuld get you on the road fastest would be to find a junkyard 4l60e and swap it in and stay out of the throttle until you could have one built.

Next would be a junkyard 80e, HD2 shift kit, cheap converter, you're probably looking at 1k there plus another 300-500 for a crossmember, and another 150-250 for shortening the driveshaft. Modern day th400

Next would be a Cahall rebuild. More money up front but will drop in place, lighter, less work needed overall.

Last is a t56 swap. Probably going to see full swap kits in the 1000-1500 range, but the biggest expense is the clutch which could set you back another $500 and will take more time than an 80e swap.

If I were in your shoes I would get a quote for a Cahall rebuild with converter for the power level you're going to be at and weigh it against an 80e swap. I wouldn't even consider a t56 unless I could get it for less on a bargain.
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to firebird_1995 For This Post:

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

Quote Originally Posted by boatshelms75 View Post
    Alright boys here is the deal. Bought a 1996 camaro Z28. Built a 385 big cam stroker. Transmission that came with car had a tore up front pump and cracked case from guy that set converter in wrong. Got a transmission off craigslist and a stall converter from this forum long story short on that combo, bad news bears. Now I am at an in pass. Do i buy a new 4l60e and converter, do i do a t56 conversion, or do i do a 4l80e conversion? Looking for the cheapest most efficient option the only reason i ever started this camaro build was because of wifes influence. Once i was almost finished with it she was diagnosed with acute leukemia and has been undergoing a bone marrow transplant away from home. My plan is to have the build done so when she is actually able to come home to me and the kids i can pick her up in the camaro. Let me know your thoughts on which option is the best i am not an expert on this era of cars and transmissions im used to standard 350 builds and a local junk yard producing me with a turbo 400.
    Give me a call, I'll see what I can help you with. 302-250-1202.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

Lurker

Status
    Name
    chris
    Vehicle
    1996 z28

tore out the tranny this weekend, had my buddy come over who rebuilds alot of transmissions in our military vehicles. The transmission i tore up was a "monster" transmission. He tore into it and said it was all pretty basic stuff, then we tore into tranny that came with car that had the busted case and ate up front pump and it actually had some allright parts i.e. 5 pinon planetarys, billet servos, beast sunshell and what nots. He seemed pretty excited that stuff was in there, i though it looked like the same shit that was in the other one. Tells you how much i know about transmissions. So he kind of frankenstined the two tannys together. Only thing i had to pay for was new clutches, seals etc etc. He took everything back to his garage with his "special tools"and brought it back last night, picked up the torque converter from local shop who drilled hole in it, drained it, flushed it, and re welded hole. I bolted everything back in her today which by the way was much more of a pain in the ass then it was taking it out and boom 380 bucks later shes back on the street. Beat the snot out of it for a good hour and it seems to be holding as long as i keep the streets on it. Should hold me over a month or so until i have the scratch for a Cahall transmission. Then i can finally put this beautiful moser 12 bolt in it. For now ill just keep acting like im driving on ice as the ass end kicks out every which way every time i touch the gas pedal.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boatshelms75 For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Good deal man... when/if it goes again... save that loot for Frank to help u out.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post: