Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Tyler
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am

figured I'd just post this here.
    Lol apparently I'm becoming more of an LT1 guy now than an LS guy.

friend of mine who lives in des moines texted me and asked me if I wanted a parts car.
    guy he knows has this 93 z28 that has been sitting a couple years. Apparently has a bad headgasket and was being driven with it until the fuel pump died. It's a t56 car and apparently 3rd and 5th are both scratchy and it all around doesnt like shifting super smooth at high rpm. Has 188k miles.

Said he was trying to find someone to part it for him cause the guy doesnt have any place to work on it and isn't super mechanical. Was his dd for about 10 years til it got parked.

Anyway, the good - it has pacesetter longtubes, pacesetter y-pipe, hooker catback. 4.10 gears, apparently had a autozone or something clutch put in around 160k and a new opti close to that time too.

Said occasionally it'll fire up if you give it some starting fluid and it'll run for a few minutes before it'll start sputtering and die. Said he woulda had a fuel pump put in but coupled with the headgasket pushing coolant he couldn't find a shop to do everything for less than $1500 and he never had the money.

So anyway, the best part? $400 and it's mine. Even though its a 93 - being a t56 car with some mods makes it pretty attractive.
    Either I'll part it out or fix it on the cheap and use it for a daily driver. I've only seen a couple shitty snapchat pictures of it but it looks pretty good besides some faded paint.

don't have any pictures of the actual car saved since i've only seen it on snapchat but it's that ugly light purple like this. It's a hardtop as well
    [img]

Anyway, getting off work today and gonna drive the 2 hours down with my truck & trailer and bring it home.

If there's a bunch more suspension and various odds and ends that are bad on the car it'll be parted/used for parts.
    But hopefully a set of headgaskets and a good ol' hole cut in the trunk to throw in a fuel pump (and I have a walbro 190 here that ive had on my shelf for a few years that works great I'll probably use) and hopefully it'll be a good runner. I'll be able to live with the t56 not being 100% healthy as long as I can shift into each gear. High rpm shifting won't be happening a ton in it. Would rather rust it as a winter beater rather than my civic or truck.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Tyler
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am

Got her home and couldn't help but mess with it all night.

Already got headgaskets changed. Just used basic felpros from the parts store. Driver side gasket was definitely bad and corroded away.
    Today is fuel pump, I cut the panel out this morning but had to go answer some calls for work he last few hours. Eating lunch now and then new fuel pump and hopefully she'll be running strong.

So as you can tell by that I'm going to try to keep it as a daily. Suspension is all in great shape. Has subframe connectors, panhard bar, control arms, and front & rear swaybars. Headliner is falling/shot so I'm just going to rip it out and try re-doing it myself or just rock the metal roof. Drivers seat is torn but I'll find some nice newer cloth seats to throw in. Interior is okay besides the dash being cracked in 5 places. Otherwise surprisingly windows/locks/stereo all work great.

Hopefully be a good runner and I won't have more than $800 into it!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Nice...Looks like its time to start a thread in the builds forum.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    Nice...Looks like its time to start a thread in the builds forum.
    Agreed... build thread with lots of pics...

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Tyler
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am

yeaaah watch for a build thread for sure. Might as well be one on the 93.
    new fuel pump and she fired right up. The only bad thing? has a nice light tapping. I had changed the oil but didn't pay attention close enough to see anything coming out. Ran a magnet down my drain pan's snout and came up with a bunch of shavings.

So I'm in the air whether or not to go forward. I only have about $150 in parts in it and $100 in gas getting it here. Could either part it or else I'm looking at a rebuild. Still seemed to have oil pressure but maybe not enough.

Anyway girlfriend would be annoyed if it took up garage for long as that's why I have a big ass shop about a mile down the road. Figured it'd be a small quick project in the garage. As dumb as it is I'll probably just drive it over to the shop rather than haul it a mile.

I'll think on it this week and do some pricing and decide if I'm going to rebuild this thing since it's just a daily/beater. Might just be better off parted/used for parts.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlzB18 View Post
    yeaaah watch for a build thread for sure. Might as well be one on the 93.
    new fuel pump and she fired right up. The only bad thing? has a nice light tapping. I had changed the oil but didn't pay attention close enough to see anything coming out. Ran a magnet down my drain pan's snout and came up with a bunch of shavings.

So I'm in the air whether or not to go forward. I only have about $150 in parts in it and $100 in gas getting it here. Could either part it or else I'm looking at a rebuild. Still seemed to have oil pressure but maybe not enough.

Anyway girlfriend would be annoyed if it took up garage for long as that's why I have a big ass shop about a mile down the road. Figured it'd be a small quick project in the garage. As dumb as it is I'll probably just drive it over to the shop rather than haul it a mile.

I'll think on it this week and do some pricing and decide if I'm going to rebuild this thing since it's just a daily/beater. Might just be better off parted/used for parts.
    Rebuild? Pshhh. Diesel oil and let er eat!. Hot idle minimum oil pressure is 7-10psig per oem manual fyi. If shes got 40psig at 3k shes fine imho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Tyler
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am

I pulled her over the weekend. Cyl 6 bearing chewed up.
    I got it stuck in the back of my shop for now. Guy I know in Des Moines is swapping his 95 t/a with a 5.3 over winter and going to give me his 150k Lt1 for $400. Not bad for the longblock. That means extra opti and everything. Had new headgaskets/valve job recently too. Nice bonus is it has an LT4 hotcam. Ran good in his car. He ran consistent 12.80s with a stock stall and 3.73's and exhaust. So should make the z28 a nice daily when it is going even though its causing me a bit more work than I planned.

Anyways I'll throw up a build thread when I start in a month or so. Guy is still driving the car with the motor in it until snow falls so probably have about a month before I can go get the motor.

Watch for a build thread for my T/A though too as I'm about to start fabbing the 8.8 since it's getting close to time to put it away too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234