Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time for new drag radials.

Well, time flies faster than I would like. I have a set of 315/35/17 555rs right now, and they do ok on the street, work surprisingly well in the rain, but at the track....they were hit or miss. They have a ton of tread on them, but I think they have gotten hard over time in combination with the really cold winters we get.

I need drag radial suggestions. The car is 3/4 street, 1/4 track. I have read great things about nitto NT05Rs. In a couple years I plan on purchasing a dedicated set of drag tires, so street manners are important too. Any other suggestions?
    1994 Trans Am GT, stock 28k mi bottom end LE2 H/C/I , 1.6rr, LT4 KM, moroso cai, jet hot lts, hooker y-pipe, slp powerflo, 37# inj, 255 pump, built 4l60e, 2800 stall, spohn/hotchkis/qa1 suspension etc etc.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

I run NT05R's full time on my Vette and while I overpower them at times, the greater majority of the time I don't have any worries. I don't drive in the rain or terribly cold wx either however. If you drive in the rain at all, stay away from the R Compound stuff (NT05R, Mickey Thompsons, Hoosiers).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    I run NT05R's full time on my Vette and while I overpower them at times, the greater majority of the time I don't have any worries. I don't drive in the rain or terribly cold wx either however. If you drive in the rain at all, stay away from the R Compound stuff (NT05R, Mickey Thompsons, Hoosiers).
    I actually hardly ever drive in the rain, that's not a big concern. I can count on one hand how many times I've driven in the rain in the 15 years I've had my car. Traction is the biggest concern, I would also like to get 3-4 years of driving out of them if possible (maybe 1500 miles a year of driving), that's why I am leaning towards the NT05r.
    1994 Trans Am GT, stock 28k mi bottom end LE2 H/C/I , 1.6rr, LT4 KM, moroso cai, jet hot lts, hooker y-pipe, slp powerflo, 37# inj, 255 pump, built 4l60e, 2800 stall, spohn/hotchkis/qa1 suspension etc etc.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

The NT05R will only last about half as long as the NT555R. You can't have it both ways sadly.

How many years/miles? I have literally had these 555r's for 13 years, I just rarely drive it. I'm fully planning on replacing them every 3-4 years or is that an unrealistic expectation with he NT05r or another drag radial at my power level? I am open to suggestions!
    Last edited by 94ndta; 10-02-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

WOW. I'd be careful driving on 13 year old tires. If they're hard like you say that could be an accident waiting to happen.

Honestly can't comment on longevity in terms of little driving and long term storage situations with the NT05R's. I wouldn't think they'd fair any better, and if they get hard they'll be WORSE on tractions due to having a lot more contact patch/less tread breaks.

It actually does ok on the street, but I understand how bad they are, hence this thread.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

I have the regular nt05s on my car and I really like them. have probably 5-6k on them and will be replacing them this winter. we are probably at similar power levels and with the m6 I can dump the clutch and it spins for a about 50 feet then hooks and goes on the street. not very good in the rain or cold though

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

I am on the fence between nt05rs and toyo proxes tq. Both seem very similar to 555rs, only a little stickier.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

reading reviews when searching for tires for a certain 383 procharged car i narrowed it down to the toyo tq's, they seemed like the longest lasting sticky tire without going nuts and had good street manners, @Catmaigne what are your thoughts on the toyos
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast