Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    95 Firehawk

Default Code 36 and hard starting

Car ran fine a little over a week ago. Then was parked in the garage. A few days ago, I went to move it, and it was hard to start and threw the SES light.

Had the car scanned and came up with a code 36. No other codes were found. The car will start after several seconds of cranking. I drove it, and it feels sluggish.

Did some research, and ran into the sticky on the codes. Ran through some diagnostics. I get just under 6v at terminal B on the harness. Can't get to the distributor end to check the voltage there, but not expecting any change there. Does this verify the Opti is going out, or is there still anything else I should check first before I tear this apart?

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Are you using Shoebox's guide to testing the Opti harness and the ICM harness? The 5V spec on pin B of the Opti harness is the reading with the harness off the Opti, hence you are measuring the reference voltage supplied by the PCM. Factory manual accepts anything in the range of 4 to 6 volts.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

In theory, the PCM can function with only the low reference pulse, with a minor loss in timing accuracy, that you typically would never notice.

Try and reach the connector at the Opti. Could be corroded or damaged pins.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Gary
    Vehicle
    1998 Trans Am

Continue measuring pin B with the cables plugged in at both ends. While cranking, the reading should be around 2-3 volts DC (not ac) if the hi resolution signal is present. You can pull the injector fuses out to prevent starting while measuring this. If it stays steady at 4-6 v dc, the cable or Opti is defective. Delayed starting is a symptom of a missing hi-resolution pulse, because without it the pcm takes longer to determine the correct firing position.

1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock and almost all original - one owner - driven daily.
    Author of Scan9495, free pc apps 93-95 LT1,94/95 L32: http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...light=scan9495

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    95 Firehawk

Thanks guys.

Hope to be able to check it the next couple of evenings. Will respond back on what I find.

Planning to take the car down to LTX shootout. I know I will not have it fixed by then, so guess I am going to have to trailer it. At least it runs to get it in and out of the trailer.

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    95 Firehawk

Where is the best place to get a new opti? I need a non vented opti for my 94. Thanks

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

We used to have a vendor on the forum who sold the rebuilt delcos... im thinking GM or ROCK AUTO is the only way to get one now.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Andrew Cozart
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

I had the same issue recently. I found the wires from the PCM had gotten hot and the insulation had begun cracking. I clipped the pigtails off (with enough slack to re-pin, and also to know what wire goes to what) and crimped on some weatherproof male/female connectors. Cured my hi-res problem. I'd check all your connections and make sure your pins are seated in the connectors well. Start cheap, or you'll be mad when you spend money on a new opti and it still throws the code.

~A~