Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Default AC stopped working, but it was the fans?

So I had issues from the beginning after I fixed my AC myself years ago, it never really blew cold, a friend who was an AC tech checked the pressure and said it needed a little after that it was kinda cold but not like it has been when i first got it.

SO I am probably gonna sell my DD and start driving the WS6 daily again as my commute is only 10 miles again.

I took it to an AC shop to get checked out. turns out the compressor was fine it overpressured and vented out sometime, and the problem the shop told me was that my radiator fans arent pushing enough air and are spinning too slowly.

I was skeptical but after the fans were jumped directly to the battery with a switch it started blowing freezing like before.

The guy checked the relays and connectors and they seemed to be fine.

Any ideas?

He told me that my computer was bad... LOL
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt freak, M6,
    68 Firebird 400, YC 400, 670 heads M4
    14 Fiat 500e
    , 83kW motor, 24kWh 364 V battery

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

You have 2-speed fans. With stock programming they should both turn on low speed when coolant reaches 226*F, or when the AC is turned on. They should both increase to high speed when coolant reaches 235*F. If the engine is running cool, the PCM isn't going to step up to high speed. Have you checked the condenser to insure air isn't bypassing around the sides of the condenser?
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Almost forgot the last couple times I drove the WS6 it had gotten hotter than before when sitting in traffic, before it would stay at or below half of the temp gauge.

Now it gets a little above half to 3/4 I in traffic