Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Erik
    Vehicle
    1997 Formula

Default The white stick inside the gear selector?

Hello!

I purchased a Hurst Pistol Grip as my first mod when I bought my car. I never could stand the ugly, but functional, original gear selector.

As many of you know, there is a white stick inside the gear selector that your new shift knob is supposed to be attached to. This worked great for a while, but now I'm back to square one since the gear knob detached a few weeks ago. And yes, I can do the job once again and hope that it will last a little longer, but I rather do it once and for all like this guide suggests, and get rid of the white stick. This will also let me make the gear selector even shorter. It almost touches my headunit atm.

Anyway, here is the link I found with lots of great pics;

http://diysrc.com/cu...r-lt1-firebird/

I've been looking all over internet for this when I bought the knob 1½ years ago but nobody had any good answers, so my question to you guys is if this is the permanent solution I've been looking for? It sure looks like it..

By the looks of the guide in the link above it seems like the white stick isn't attached to anything and is easy to be removed.

Whenever my best friend jumps in my car and sees my poor gear selector with the white stick sticking up, his first question is always "Oh is that the new model of the Pistol Grip? ###### it looks fine!" lol! I just want to shut him up and have it installed the proper way.

Have anyone of you guys done this before? In that case - pros and cons please!

Lurker

Status

I have not done that mod but the purpose of the white stick is just to release the selector to allow it to move into the next position. If the rod in the guide above does the same thing then there should be no problem other than being able to yank your shifter free at any time. The factory shifter button assembly has a staple like pin to keep the shifter button assembly on the shaft.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk