Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Default Crank position sensor trouble need help

Good evening fellow LTX enthusiast.

I'm looking to see if anybody has had issues. Everytime I start my car the SES light comes on. When it is checked for codes I get crank position sensor high voltage range.

Changed the crank position sensor and I continue to have the same issue. The car runs flawless. I noticed this issue after having changed the opti. I did not have that trouble prior to changing the opti.

Thank you for any assistance.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I'm assuming this is a stock LT1 ignition system/PCM, and not something like the 24X conversion.

The crank sensor is only there to detect misfires. Has no affect on the way the engine runs. To measure the small crankshaft speed irregularities and compare them with the known crank rotational profile, as I understand it, it relies in part on the signal from the optical crank position sensor in the Opti. This always a tough one.

What brand is the new Opti? Which code did you get - P0335 or P0336?
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

I'm running stock ignition system and PCM. Po336.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

I do not remember the brand of the opti.

I do not think it is an ac delco or MSD

Lurker

Status

P0336 is Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Performance, and refers to the deviation of your CKP pulses from the opti high resolution pulses. Did you open that opti you installed to check inside? Could be a bad high res. reluctor wheel. Also go back over all your connections, possibly check for good continuity on the opti harness and CKP sensor harness.

derp.png
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Gary
    Vehicle
    1998 Trans Am

It could be that the new Opti has a looser or binding drive fit, resulting in slight shifts in the hi-res signal when decelerating or accelerating. Can you narrow down the time the code sets and what the engine is doing at the time? Was anything done to the timing chain or sprockets?

1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock and almost all original - one owner - driven daily.
    Author of Scan9495, free pc apps 93-95 LT1,94/95 L32: http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...light=scan9495

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

@Spartan7 I will check all connections.

Yes I I'd open the opti before install and loc-tighted the Rotor screws. @GaryDoug I checked the opti shaft prior to install.

The only time I get the SES light or trouble code is on initial start up after the vehicle sets for thirty minutes. If I use the scan tool to remove the code and the car runs great I can run it for hours and the code dose not return. The car runs great.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro96 View Post

The only time I get the SES light or trouble code is on initial start up after the vehicle sets for thirty minutes. If I use the scan tool to remove the code and the car runs great I can run it for hours and the code dose not return. The car runs great.
    Does the engine NOT run great if you do NOT clear the code? The code should not affect the way the engine runs. The CKP should not affect the way the engine runs. Engine should run great. If the engine runs poorly, there is an underlying cause, and it's most likely the Opti signals.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

Thank you @Injuneer from doing research I have found that the cap and Rotor need to be replaced. The optical disk could also be damaged.

Thank you everyone for your input