Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Name
    DJ
    Vehicle
    94 Z28

Default First time at the track with "Juan" '94 Z28- M6- LE Cam - Basic Bolt-on's

I have a '94 Z28- M6 Hardtop that I've been piddling with on & off for about a year now when time allows. My buddies and I started out calling the engine an LT-Juan which led to up naming the car "Juan". Its been a quite process to get the car where it is today and no where near done.

The engine has 102k miles, LE cam, Comp 1.6 Pro-mag RR's, Summit EWP, UDP; MSD Opti & 8mm wires (go ahead and hate!), TR-6 plugs, other than that its how it was built from the factory. The other bolt-on's are XS Power LT's & Y pipe, Hooker CB, K&N CAI, Hurst Billet Plus shifter, cheap-o Autozone clutch (soon to be changed), 10 bolt w/3.73 gear/Ratech solid spacer/Moser girdle, Viking C/O's all the way around, Founders LCA relocation brackets, Summit line-lock, 255 fuel pump, AEM wideband, Soloman base tune, Moog bushings & ball joints, poly motor mounts. Still sporting the stock LCA's & Tq arm, those will be changed when the rearend gets replaced.

Car has some weight reduction. I've removed the A/C, emission junk, front sway bar, ABS, rear seats, passenger seat, back half interior panels. The car without me in it weighed 3195 with 3/4 tank of gas. Future weight reduction plans are lightweight carpet, lightweight F&R bumper supports, !passenger air bag, !radio.

Last Saturday I took the car to Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds GA for the first time. It was a warm day and rained for about half an hour as I entered the gates. If you are familiar with GA weather, you know the humidity here is bad and we are not blessed with the good air that is seen at other parts of the country. According to Dragtimes, the DA was +2300 at the time of my best run.

Car has 16" snowflakes with MT drag radials. My best pass of the day was slipping the clutch at 3500, small bog but didn't fall on its face much. I tried leaving at 4000k but smoked the clutch. I was shifting around 6100. The cam pulls to the rev limiter (6300), I'm gonna raise it to 6400 and rev it higher next time out. I have another long block so not really concerned if this one eats a bearing.

I want to drop more weight, replace the clutch, put slicks/skinnies on it, play with shock adjustments, get the AFR in the tune smoothed out (WOT starts out mid 11's then maintains 12.0-12.1) , and hopefully I can get my 60' down and make an 11 second pass with better air this fall. I have a set of LE TFS 21* heads for it too but really want to make that 11sec pass before they go on it.

Anywho- timeslip from my best pass of the day: Left lane car #50. Not a bad first time out in this ole LT-1...

16.04.30 Timeslip.jpg

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

I like it!
    Old school simple. Le1 cam?

Looks like the tune is good to me. Lean it out pick up a few mph.
    AFR in my experience creates more tq richer at low mid rpm then lean it out up top for peak HP. It being rich in the tq curve is usually around the shift as well wich keeps the knock under high load/the shift at a minimum.
    I think with just.good weather and a clutch you will be real close to 11s.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    DJ
    Vehicle
    94 Z28

Cam is a 227/235, not sure if that's considered a LE-1 or what. I know it seems to work though. I haven't put it on a Dyno to see what it makes yet, I want to get some more datalogs and send to Soloman to tweak the tune. I should be able to get better data now that I have the W/B wired into the A/C pressure switch but the W/B and eeHack readings are still off from each other so I've get to get that corrected first. I know the stock 10-bolt is the weak link but I intend to see how far I can push it!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Added you to the LTX Fastest list.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

Lurker

Status
    Name
    DJ
    Vehicle
    94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    Added you to the LTX Fastest list.
    Nice! I hope to climb higher up the list!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Alex Rauld
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am GT

Great ET and mph for the setup!

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Badazz96z28 View Post
    Cam is a 227/235, not sure if that's considered a LE-1 or what. I know it seems to work though. I haven't put it on a Dyno to see what it makes yet, I want to get some more datalogs and send to Soloman to tweak the tune. I should be able to get better data now that I have the W/B wired into the A/C pressure switch but the W/B and eeHack readings are still off from each other so I've get to get that corrected first. I know the stock 10-bolt is the weak link but I intend to see how far I can push it!
    Solomon is one of the best, I look forward to hearing more about how the car performs.