Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LTX Master

Status

Default Just bought a C5, has a couple small issues

Hey guys, I picked up a 2000 FRC C5 this weekend. It's quite an amazing car, but I have a few issues with it I would like to fix. Keep in mind I'm completely new to Corvettes. First issue is I pushed the hazard button for the first time... nothing happened, except the button is now stuck on? No flashers, signals still work, button is just stuck? Not something I need fixed right away, but a small nuisance. Second, the driver window button works, but needs to be pushed hard and in JUST the right spot to send the window up. Should I just replace the switch panel, or is this a common issue that maybe I can pop it off and knock the button back into place? And last, probably the most pain to fix... after a rain, the floor is wet on both sides. The door panel is mostly dry as are the seats, but the floor was pretty wet. Any idea where exactly that water comes from?

Thanks for any help and I will post pics in a separate thread coming up when I do a little photoshoot once my Camaro comes out of paint.
    MATT

95 Z28 - Forged 383 LT1, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E w/3200 stall, Pacesetter LT's & ORY with a stockish exhaust (E-cutout soon to come!)

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

@Fastbird has a c5, he may be able to help.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

First thing I'd try with both the Hazard and Window switch issues is replacing the switch. That's gonna probably be the easiest fix.

As for the wet floors, under the wiper motor there are drain udders on the drivers side and a single large drain tube on the passenger side. If the car sits outside the udders tend to become clogged. When they're clogged, water has nowhere to drain, backs up, and spills into the interior via vents. That's most likely the cause after a rain.

From below:

From above, wiper motor removed:

Passenger side behind battery:

The CorvetteForum is your friend, you just have to wade through all the advertising posts in every section and the rather large influx of hacks in the C5 areas since it's become relatively affordable.
    Last edited by Fastbird; 05-03-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

LTX Master

Status

Awesome fastbird, thanks for the pics to help out. My next question was actually what one of the better forums are lol. I love this forum and was hoping to find one similar on the vettes.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

CorvetteForum is your main forum. TONS of members, some hack jobs, some are GM Engineers. TONS of advertising, plaguing the entire forum though. Owned by IB sadly, so nothing gets done about it because it's making them money. Has it's ups and downs but it the best place to be.
    DigitalCorvettes is ok, but MUCH smaller.
    CorvetteActionCenter is even smaller.
    SmokinVette tried HEAVILY to recruit me as a sponsor a few years back, and I'm glad I didn't. It's nearly lifeless now.

LTX Master

Status

Good to know... we had a heavy rain last night, turns out my leak is much worse than i thought. Small puddles behind both seats, both door panels, little bit under the trunk area, and headliners along both windows... fml lol. Still i suppose it can be fixed fairly inexpensively, and certainly not worth passing up such a great car.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Oh....it's probably the channels if its puddling behind the seats. I just saw this recently, it'll probably help. Probably going to be what you're going to need to do.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ts-of-pix.html

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

I would also double check all the weatherstripping and seals. The seal on the hatch is a pain to replace. I doubt that's the issue, but worth checking for the added assurance.

To get the dampness and humidity out of there, they sell a few different things at dollar stores and walmart that basically sucks the moisture out and collects it in a bag. I forget what they are called, but they work and I have used them in cars before and my basement haha.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

LTX Master

Status

I managed to get the water out. It was pretty bad. The plastic channel is cracked on drivers side, replacement just came in today. I have the weatherstripping off down to the body and will be reinstalling everything properly. As for the passenger side, I went a little cheap since it wasn't damaged. I used black silicone and sealed from the bottom corner of the windshield through the b-pillar and same thing between the weather stripping and metal channels that hold it. Also sealed the door hinges where they bolt to the body. Haven't tested it yet but I will be shocked if water still gets through.

LTX Master

Status

I have the windows sealed up pretty well now. We had a heavy fog the other day and rain today and I went out to check for more water. I did find some in the trunk area but it was a little odd. I couldn't find a trail coming from anywhere and some of it was beaded up pretty well. I still have the carpets lifted and the water was under them not on the carpet. I have a feeling condensation built up under the carpet. Hopefully it only happened because I have the rear carpet out and the bare interior exposed. That will surely suck if I get water trapped under the carpet all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast