Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

18 years ago, George Baxter ran the LT1 intake at 20+ # boost (Canfield heads, 1,125 flywheel HP), no distribution problems. Second Street copied George's setup for someone else, no problems. They said exactly what firebird_1995 said.... the distribution problems with the LT1 intake are encountered running a nitrous plate. Even with a dry system, they told me not to run a plate. Putting the nozzles 10" in front of the throttle body, no distribution problems. I watched them pull the plugs on repeated pulls on the engine dyno and on the chassis dyno tuning.
    Last edited by Injuneer; 01-19-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Quote Originally Posted by GuillaumeC View Post
    I had a stock unported LT1 manifold on the Caprice, running 18-20 psi max. I had distribution issues, the plugs weren't the same color front & back and seemed to get worse as the boost went up.
    Were you running a stock throttle body or something larger?
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Guillaume
    Vehicle
    95 Caprice & 89 RX7

52mm TB, 100% stock untouched manifold.

It could have been something else I guess, I just dont see what.
    1989 Mazda RX7 Turbo II, 357ci LT1, AI TFS CNC heads, Garrett GTX4708R, Ford 8.8" SAS, TH400. (Current project)
    1995 Chevy Caprice, Twin turbo 357ci LT1, 9.96 @ 141.2 mph (sold)

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

The smaller the throttle body, the higher the velocity through it. Directionally, the stream will penetrate further into the plenum before it disburses, and allow the plenum to function as a distribution device. Just a thought.

I run a 58mm through a seriously ported (by CNC Cylinder Heads) LT4 intake. Baxter ran a 58mm through a ported (by Lingenfelter) LT1 intake.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Guillaume
    Vehicle
    95 Caprice & 89 RX7

True, I didn't think about that.

The new combo has a Victor E, 6061.com elbow and LS style throttle body. I think it'll work fine.
    1989 Mazda RX7 Turbo II, 357ci LT1, AI TFS CNC heads, Garrett GTX4708R, Ford 8.8" SAS, TH400. (Current project)
    1995 Chevy Caprice, Twin turbo 357ci LT1, 9.96 @ 141.2 mph (sold)

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    The smaller the throttle body, the higher the velocity through it. Directionally, the stream will penetrate further into the plenum before it disburses, and allow the plenum to function as a distribution device. Just a thought.

I run a 58mm through a seriously ported (by CNC Cylinder Heads) LT4 intake. Baxter ran a 58mm through a ported (by Lingenfelter) LT1 intake.
    58mm tpis twin blade and le ported stocker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

FWIW and not to argue with anyone's points on here. I'll give a slightly different perspective based on the equipment I use.

Almost all intakes have a stagger and it get's larger when you add boost. Why maybe I know this is only because I run an 8 channel wideband on my engine at all times. So I see each cylinder and what it's doing and not a sum of the total like a bank O2. My guess is you are not going to be able to read a plug to the degree you can read an AFR on a wide band chart. I would like to meet the guy that can read a plug that fine as I have never seen anyone that could. I can pull two plugs out of my engine and let someone try to read them by looking at them. They all have said they pretty much look the same and then I show them the wideband graph per cylinder and how much they are different. While air turns much better than liquid there's still resistance to air turning. Even firing order comes into play on which cylinders will show lean on FI setups. Even the fact our intakes are front loads causes issues over a top load. The nitrous issue is true and that's wet or dry, wet is worse because fuel is heavy and can't make the sharp turn. Even the nitrous gas has issues making sharp turns.

I have always had to run staggers on my fuel from cylinder to cylinder to get balance. And a balanced engine, AFR per cylinder, will make more power than if the sum of the total bank looks good on an O2. Lots of factors go into how much air each cylinder gets/takes, more so than just the intake. EGT's have their place and I have both EGT's and the wideband on the car. The problem with EGT's is you really have to burn the motor up to know what the readings really mean, other than it's just way wrong!! That's where the wideband comes in as the AFR is the AFR. But issue like detonation will not show up on the wideband but your EGT's will take off.

To add an eight channel wideband in your car makes no dollar sense just for you to be able to balance your engine. A good one is thousands of dollars and only pays for themselves when you can avoid burning up an engine using the data they provide.

Most people, actually I have never seen anyone other then me, don't have an eight channel wideband setup in their car. I couldn't do what I do without it as with all data logging systems you get info you would never know was going on otherwise.

Hope its useful info
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 11-05-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123