Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Default True Dual Exhaust is on!

Well guys I finally got around to installing my True Duals. And I must say ground clearance is really bad on the driver side because the header collector hangs really low. Other than that clearance is good throughout the system even while being lowered as much as I am. I'm currently looking at solutions to hopefully resolve that issue. I can head back to the exhaust shop to try and adjust my exhaust on that driver side with regards to the first pipe leading to the X. I'm not too sure how I can raise the collector up...new poly motor mounts to get rid of some "slop"? Feel free to chime in with solutions.

As far as the sound goes it's awesome! It exits through a CME and is a nice deep tone. It's not as loud as I imagined it would be, but that's most likely because my car is still a stock internal bolt on car. The system is equipped with 2 cutouts right off the collector that will be receiving electric motors to open em up when I want to be obnoxious. Tone is nice, there's no drone, and the cabin noise is no worse than my stock piping LM1 set up. Car is pretty loud up in the RPM band though, definitely turns a lot of heads now.

This system took quite a bit of planning and overall I'm very happy with it. One part that I'm rather proud of is that this exhaust is "tunable". I use that term loosely because it's not like the borla system with its interchangeable plates. I actually bought some eBay "OBX" brand V band assemblies in order to accomplish this. The rear section of exhaust is the portion that gets changed.

Both pipes go up over the axle on the passenger side, then they split off to there separate sides. The one side goes straight into one 90* bend then out of the CME, the other side has to make 2 90* before exiting the CME. These portions of pipe are where my "bullet" style mufflers are mounted with V band connections. I have a separate set of bullets that I can now swap in and out in less that 5 minutes (just 4 bolts!). So by utilizing v band connections on 2 different sets of bullets I can have a different exhaust note without having to go to an exhaust shop and pay to cut/re weld whenever I get bored of the sound. The nice thing is this set up can use just about any size bullet muffler. Also when I get my electric cutout motors I'll have even more control of the system (looking for cutouts that will respond to a variable control not just those that are "open" or "closed")

So the set up is:

-Pacesetter LT headers (non coated emissions version with block offs) V band connection to
    -2.5" Flowtech X pipe with cutouts
    -2.5" off brand X pipe (stamped design, magnaflow look alike)
    -2.5" shop crush bent piping (very little crush bends only about 3-4 bends in the whole system primarily for the over axle portions
    -2x 2.5" 16" classic chambered powersticks
    -2x 2.5" Borla ATAK mufflers pulled from a 03-04 Terminator Cobra (Traded him some Borla S types "Stingers")
    -3" Stainless Single CME tip

Pics are here:

Clearance on driver side is the worst, lowest point in the whole system...working on solutions. Going to have the shop re adjust the pipe coming off the collector too, cut and re weld the portion before the V band and angle it up. Shop was in a hurry at the end but the owner said come back and they can adjust for free !

Let me know what you guys think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SJx408; 04-17-2016 at 11:41 PM.
    Arctic White 1996 Z28. Stock internal LT1, CAI, LM1, MGW Shifter, 3.73's, some suspension junk, and shiny salad shooters (retired). Forgestar F14's 18x10 on all 4. Fun stuff coming soon. Also, Cali smog regulations suck...period. **Insert witty quote here** LT1FTW that is all. Have a nice day.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

quick exhaust clip I recorded with my cousin hitting the loud pedal. I got this clip super quick out of pure excitement right after it was installed lol you can hear my cousin's opinion at the end (keep in mind he's got a monster HCI '06 Z06 with LT's Catless X and corsa extreme exhaust so it means a lot coming from him) I'll get more clips up soon with my actual camera equipment and mics.

Arctic White 1996 Z28. Stock internal LT1, CAI, LM1, MGW Shifter, 3.73's, some suspension junk, and shiny salad shooters (retired). Forgestar F14's 18x10 on all 4. Fun stuff coming soon. Also, Cali smog regulations suck...period. **Insert witty quote here** LT1FTW that is all. Have a nice day.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

very clean install.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blkchevyz For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Nice setup. Well planned and a clean install.

You might want to consider shielding/insulating the brake line and the fuel lines right above the cutout.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Move the V band to right off the collector, then transition it to oval pipe under the floor beam structure and then back to round after that.

Otherwise, looks good, V bands are an excellent choice.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Nice setup. Well planned and a clean install.

You might want to consider shielding/insulating the brake line and the fuel lines right above the cutout.
    Thank you for the feedback, that's the next thing I was going to do. I realized after looking at the pics it's awful close to those lines and some proper heat shielding/insulation was in order.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    Move the V band to right off the collector, then transition it to oval pipe under the floor beam structure and then back to round after that.

Otherwise, looks good, V bands are an excellent choice.
    That's what I'm going to do most likely. Looking at most ORY set ups the driver side looks like it's been compressed into an oval shape, which is what I'll have to do for this X pipe set up. Thanks for the feedback!

Yup, I just took a hammer to mine but, I had thought of chopping out the section of oval from an old ORY to weld in.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

very nice! in for more videos

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

New update. Got my Borla ATAK bullets on. AFAIK I'm the only person running ATAK duals on and Fbody. Enjoy! excuse the blurry pics, best I could get while on the lift around the people working lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast