Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

94 Camaro Z28 383ci AI Heads LE Cam 4L60E Stock 10 Bolt
    Personal Best 10.72 N/A 10.13 NO2

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 Firebird

I switched last year from a MT DR to Hoosier of the same size (275/50/15) and like them a lot better. They hook better on the street and the track, but I rarely drive them on the street. The one thing that I love most is if you do get wheel spin the Hoosier's will recover way faster than the MT ever could. Usually once I lost traction with the MT's it was over, I would have to let off to regain traction where the Hoosiers I can stay into the throttle and they will regain traction on their own.
    1995 TA: Converted Nose...381 LT1...4L80E...Moser 12 bolt...Edge TC...
    Best 1/4 10.71 @126, 1.46 60ft, 3450lbs
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MysteryBird1?feature=watch

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Bird View Post
    I switched last year from a MT DR to Hoosier of the same size (275/50/15) and like them a lot better. They hook better on the street and the track, but I rarely drive them on the street. The one thing that I love most is if you do get wheel spin the Hoosier's will recover way faster than the MT ever could. Usually once I lost traction with the MT's it was over, I would have to let off to regain traction where the Hoosiers I can stay into the throttle and they will regain traction on their own.
    I found one of your posts from a year or so ago and was wondering if you made the switch. I'm asking around for pricing today. A local speed shop may be able to give me a deal on a set. I think I will give the Hoosiers a chance.

How do you do your burnouts? Long or short? Lots of water?

I heard an auto will run better times with a drag radial compared to a bias ply tire. Is this true?

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

IMO. It's in the suspension. There are plenty of guys going really fast with all the tires mentioned. It's hard to blame the tires when you see someone else that's fast, hooking and pulling the front wheels with the same tires. I'm upgrading suspension this year and switching from ET streets to the ET Pro's. We'll see what happens. Again, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz28 View Post
    I found one of your posts from a year or so ago and was wondering if you made the switch. I'm asking around for pricing today. A local speed shop may be able to give me a deal on a set. I think I will give the Hoosiers a chance.

How do you do your burnouts? Long or short? Lots of water?

I heard an auto will run better times with a drag radial compared to a bias ply tire. Is this true?
    I do one spin in the water box then roll out, short burnout depending on track temps. I found 21lbs to be best for good track conditions and have gone a best of 1.44 60ft. I've tried bias ply one day for three runs and didn't notice a huge difference.

This is what 21lbs looks like on the tire.

1995 TA: Converted Nose...381 LT1...4L80E...Moser 12 bolt...Edge TC...
    Best 1/4 10.71 @126, 1.46 60ft, 3450lbs
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MysteryBird1?feature=watch

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Bird View Post
    I do one spin in the water box then roll out, short burnout depending on track temps. I found 21lbs to be best for good track conditions and have gone a best of 1.44 60ft. I've tried bias ply one day for three runs and didn't notice a huge difference.

This is what 21lbs looks like on the tire.

That's usually my burnout technique as well.

I think I have a head gasket blown, so after I finish fixing the engine I will order some Hoosiers and lets hope I have the same results that you've had.... :}

Thanks for your help everyone...

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Alex Rauld
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am GT

If you're currently running a radial I'd stick with it unless you want to buy new fronts as well.

I've also heard the common expression that autos tend to favor a radial and manuals a bias ply, can't say I have any personal experience to back it up though.

Quote Originally Posted by myltwon View Post
    If you're currently running a radial I'd stick with it unless you want to buy new fronts as well.

I've also heard the common expression that autos tend to favor a radial and manuals a bias ply, can't say I have any personal experience to back it up though.

I currently run Bias-Ply tires front and back. But want to make the switch. I keep hearing radials are faster on an Auto....

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Jim
    Vehicle
    1996 Z28

M&H Racemasters. I know not in your choices, but man they grip hard! I am off the trans brake and a healthy shot, but I have run them all and by far this is the best I have run. Wifes car has the MT and she hates them.
    1996 camaro Z28, Clayton racing 398, Rossler TH350 rmvb with brake, FTI billet race converter 4400, Dana S60 with 4.10's, 300 shot, Accel DFI controlled, UMI, Spohn, PA racing, QA1's, Baer brakes, 325/45/17 M&H, Caged, Corbeau's, Simpson, etc.
    From zero to fuck yeah in 3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by JPack View Post
    M&H Racemasters. I know not in your choices, but man they grip hard! I am off the trans brake and a healthy shot, but I have run them all and by far this is the best I have run. Wifes car has the MT and she hates them.
    That's a brand you really don't hear alot about. I was always curious if people used them or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast