Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MoeHorsePower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KLaBZ28 View Post
    I want to get it running on the 24x pcm to prevent predetonation because I know that would kill the bottom end at 8 psi -
    So with the 24x system you cannot get detonation, is this what you are saying?

Quote Originally Posted by gmpowered View Post
    Kudos for recognizing that the stock ignition and pcm are not up to the task.
    I believe the 24x will improve longevity on a stock short block. Misfires due to low spark cause knock aka the craptispark. That and having to
    Stock ignition would be pushed to its limits, but the stock pcm is not up to task?? I have been running boost since 97 on a STOCK pcm, past supercharged with 648 rwhp and now turbo with 710 rwhp, if you know what you are doing in the tuning dept, it can be done...
    Agreed, and I'm not knocking on the LT1's system or people who use it. For my application where slight predetonation will blow my stock pistons apart I think it will be better to have a more consistent ignition system. I've been running the opti for years with no problems and ignoring the suggestions by friends to run 24x because I just don't see the point. Boosting a stock LT1, yeah now 24x sounds like a good idea to me.. I have no doubt I could tune the car for this setup with the opti but I would just be worried about a misfire or something to go wrong.

Predet is a lot less critical when you have forged pistons.

95 Z28 hard top - LT1, 4L60e, bolt ons, Yank SS3600, suspension, viking coil overs, 3.42 10 bolt, 3320 lbs - 12.304 @ 108.52mph 1.69 60'
    08 Saab 9-7x - L96 6.0 swap, L92 heads/intake/TB, LS6 cam, LS9 springs, 7.425" hardened pushrods, CAI, 1-3/4" stepped LT's, catback, 4L60E, FTI 3000 278mm converter

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

[QUOTE=MoeHorsePower;458799][QUOTE=KLaBZ28;458764] I want to get it running on the 24x pcm to prevent predetonation because I know that would kill the bottom end at 8 psi -

Kudos for recognizing that the stock ignition and pcm are not up to the task.
    I believe the 24x will improve longevity on a stock short block. Misfires due to low spark cause knock aka the craptispark. That and having to

Stock ignition would be pushed to its limits, but the stock pcm is not up to task?? I have been running boost since 97 on a STOCK pcm, past supercharged with 648 rwhp and now turbo with 710 rwhp, if you know what you are doing in the tuning dept, it can be done...
    Not saying it cant be done..Im sure someone like you could run 2000 hp on a stock pcm if hp numbers matter.
    Stock opti no bandainds? no coil on plug... Stock pcm...what else did you need to modify to finagle it to work... a boost a pump...new press reg ect ect. Then finding a tuner or a dyno shop who will tune and dyno it....good luck.

people saying they run an opti but have delteq....people say they run a stock pcm...buy have boost a pumps to control fuel.....

PCM just sends a signal for a FP on, regardless of what kind of PCM. so failing to setup a proper fuel system cannot be blamed on PCM choice.

0411 PCM gives you a much better chance of finding a quality tuner who will use HPT/EFIlive and dyno tune your car. I believe a LT1 PCM cannot run a 2bar SD tune but I am not 100% on that. Odds are at 8psi you are close to maxing out stock LT1 MAF.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

Stock pcm is way capable of doing it, unfortunately you probably don't have enough of a capable tuner to accomplish the task so 24x is in your best interest .

The lt1 computer coupled with the opti to date is still the most accurate system out there, unfortunately to many idiots out there that gave the opti a bad rep.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dawdaw For This Post:

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

[QUOTE=gmpowered;458814][QUOTE=MoeHorsePower;458799]
    I want to get it running on the 24x pcm to prevent predetonation because I know that would kill the bottom end at 8 psi -

Not saying it cant be done..Im sure someone like you could run 2000 hp on a stock pcm if hp numbers matter.
    Stock opti no bandainds? no coil on plug... Stock pcm...what else did you need to modify to finagle it to work... a boost a pump...new press reg ect ect. Then finding a tuner or a dyno shop who will tune and dyno it....good luck.

people saying they run an opti but have delteq....people say they run a stock pcm...buy have boost a pumps to control fuel.....
    Wtf do boost a pumps have to do with controlling fuel lol! Pulse width and fp determine how much fuel ultimately gets into the cylinder.

Boost a pumps are band aids for weak pumps that can't suppply enough fuel and the owners to cheap to put a real pump in the car

[QUOTE=dawdaw;458820][QUOTE=gmpowered;458814]
    Quote Originally Posted by MoeHorsePower View Post

Wtf do boost a pumps have to do with controlling fuel lol! Pulse width and fp determine how much fuel ultimately gets into the cylinder.

Boost a pumps are band aids for weak pumps that can't suppply enough fuel and the owners to cheap to put a real pump in the car
    Not always true, I would love to run a surge tank setup vs the big ass magnafuel I have now.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Lurker

Status

Well now that this turned into a 24x vs opti debate, maybe I'll look into keeping the opti.. I am confident in my tuning abilities with my current setup and the LT1 PCM with just bolt ons etc. Having a close friend thats built and tunes a few 9 sec LS cars, I'm leaning towards the direction of 24x so we can tune it together. I guess we could look into keeping it opti powered, but he suggested to not bother.

95 Z28 hard top - LT1, 4L60e, bolt ons, Yank SS3600, suspension, viking coil overs, 3.42 10 bolt, 3320 lbs - 12.304 @ 108.52mph 1.69 60'
    08 Saab 9-7x - L96 6.0 swap, L92 heads/intake/TB, LS6 cam, LS9 springs, 7.425" hardened pushrods, CAI, 1-3/4" stepped LT's, catback, 4L60E, FTI 3000 278mm converter

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

I know 2 bar map can be done. I thought you just rescaled tables in the tune so the computer is alright with it. 2 bar becomes 1 bar, atmospheric becomes 0.5, etc. Wouldn't be a problem for a competent tuner.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Catmaigne For This Post:

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

[QUOTE=shownomercy;458822][QUOTE=dawdaw;458820]

Not always true, I would love to run a surge tank setup vs the big ass magnafuel I have now.
    Ya if.you have poor baffling, that would be your problem.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

Well now that this turned into a 24x vs opti debate, maybe I'll look into keeping the opti.. I am confident in my tuning abilities with my current setup and the LT1 PCM with just bolt ons etc. Having a close friend thats built and tunes a few 9 sec LS cars, I'm leaning towards the direction of 24x so we can tune it together. I guess we could look into keeping it opti powered, but he suggested to not bother.
    Not a debate on my eend. 24X is superior in terms of availability of good tuners . Lots of false claims it makes more power then a traditional coil dizzy, it may be worth a few ponies over a stock ignition but not the 15 hp plus these guys claim. If it did they had a poor tune done with the oe computer.

If you have a competent friend that know the ls ecu i would without hesitation do The 24x swap.

I just have to step up and say to the nay Sayers that it can't be done with an oe ecu that they are incorrect.

My car runs pretty damn good with an oe ecu and if i make a change im thinking i will put this car into the 9s na with an oe pcm, and 15 year old factory distributor

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast