Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

Default chainsaw stihl ms461

Dont know if anybody is into chainsaws or cuts wood for that matter.

Just a quick review of the titled chainsaw.

The 461 is an animal. That said I am coming from a 50cc class saw a ms290 muffler modded and carb tuned. The first time I ran it was noodling a 23" old growth red oak top. Hot knife through butter. I was in shock how it cut and ran right out of the box.
    The saw vibration is noticeably more than the 290 and the 25 inch bar does add noticeable weight. I hate limbing with it and im a bigger guy well capable of wielding it.
    Ive had the new chainsaw for a little over a month now. Its just about broken in with about 10 tanks through it running local premium pump gas and legend oil.
    This chainsaw is so much fun to run compared to the smaller chainsaw I have been looking for excuses to cut stuff up.

I do burn over 5 cords a year and built my sawmill last fall, so an upgrade to a real chainsaw was not just a want but a more legit "need". Especially since I can run a 36" bar which will be added later for cutting and milling larger logs for the mill.

10 Second N/A Club

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    96 Z28

Regular modern day lumberjack!
    -Josh
    co-owner of BDBRacing.com
    NMCA OC 9004
    96, N/A 385, Holley EFI, Faceplated M6, AI TFS heads, LE SR cam, MWC Fab 9
    10.16 @ 136 1.50 60'........still workin on that 60' shootin for 1.4's!

That's awesome, I run a modded 270 and want to step up to a 362. I enjoy a good saw myself :-)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28 View Post
    That's awesome, I run a modded 270 and want to step up to a 362. I enjoy a good saw myself :-)

I was thinking 362 but for a few hundred more wtf. I've run 36xs before and for the cash and HP difference over the 290 wasn't worth it.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28 View Post
    Regular modern day lumberjack!
    Lol hardly just a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by gmpowered View Post
    I was thinking 362 but for a few hundred more wtf. I've run 36xs before and for the cash and HP difference over the 290 wasn't worth it.
    Really? I was thinking the 362 was up close to 5hp and the 290 is just 3.75.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

Really? I was thinking the 362 was up close to 5hp and the 290 is just 3.75.

the 362s 4.6hp to the 290s (modded roughly 4hp). The 362 makes a decent amount of more TQ, but not worth it IMO if you have a good running 50CC class saw, the 362s were all 750 in my area, for another 200 and change the 461 was it.
    Half a horse and some TQ difference.
    Jump to 6 hp and more TQ is quite the difference. I understand why people say 461s will run with 660s.

the 362s 4.6hp to the 290s (modded roughly 4hp). The 362 makes a decent amount of more TQ, but not worth it IMO if you have a good running 50CC class saw, the 362s were all 750 in my area, for another 200 and change the 461 was it.
    Half a horse and some TQ difference.
    Jump to 6 hp and more TQ is quite the difference. I understand why people say 461s will run with 660s.
    What's the weight difference in the 461 vs the 362 though? If weight was close I could see doing the 461. I just wouldn't want a back breaker.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

What's the weight difference in the 461 vs the 362 though? If weight was close I could see doing the 461. I just wouldn't want a back breaker.

Ive read different things on that very thought. It was also a concern for me.
    The 362 im not sure on the weight handling comparatively. Its half a pound heavier than the 290. The 461 is a half pound heavier than the 362 All i can attest to is direct comparison of the 290.

Handling just the two power-heads 290 and 461 there is not much noticeable difference.
    With a 25 on the 461 and a 20 on the 290 it becomes more noticeable... its a huge difference when lifting chest high over and over or tilting them back and forth.
    The good is im 6'1 and barely have to bend over to cut limbs on the ground with the 25" people say its better with a 28" or 32".

I pretty much got sick of waiting to cut 20+inch hardwood all the time with the 290. Its mostly what i cut.
    Last spring i fell a 4 foot diameter sugar maple with the 290, i barley got through the tree with a 20"bar i had to use the my deep notch to reach through the tree leaving a 2 inch hinge. Which using the hinge on the backside to reach imo is super dangerous. I need to take another one just like it this spring. This one slightly smaller.
    Cutting the trunk was awful as well.
    I think cutting larger wood i use less fuel with the bigger saw as well.

Ive read different things on that very thought. It was also a concern for me.
    The 362 im not sure on the weight handling comparatively. Its half a pound heavier than the 290. The 461 is a half pound heavier than the 362 All i can attest to is direct comparison of the 290.

Handling just the two power-heads 290 and 461 there is not much noticeable difference.
    With a 25 on the 461 and a 20 on the 290 it becomes more noticeable... its a huge difference when lifting chest high over and over or tilting them back and forth.
    The good is im 6'1 and barely have to bend over to cut limbs on the ground with the 25" people say its better with a 28" or 32".

I pretty much got sick of waiting to cut 20+inch hardwood all the time with the 290. Its mostly what i cut.
    Last spring i fell a 4 foot diameter sugar maple with the 290, i barley got through the tree with a 20"bar i had to use the my deep notch to reach through the tree leaving a 2 inch hinge. Which using the hinge on the backside to reach imo is super dangerous. I need to take another one just like it this spring. This one slightly smaller.
    Cutting the trunk was awful as well.
    I think cutting larger wood i use less fuel with the bigger saw as well.
    I understand, I got into an ooooold locust tree a couple of seasons back. I ended up having to cut from two sides to get through it. I enjoy cutting large wood though, not sure why but I do.