Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: band saw?

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Default band saw?

anyone have one of these portable band saws?dewalt-13q2-DCS370B-main-lg.jpg
    i've been using miter saw with an abrasive wheel for a while, but after having a few items kick out on me and blowing a couple disk i'm looking at other options.
    mainly cutting exhaust pipes
    i'd really like a bench top one but seems like they are pretty expensive.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by blkchevyz View Post
    anyone have one of these portable band saws?dewalt-13q2-DCS370B-main-lg.jpg
    i've been using miter saw with an abrasive wheel for a while, but after having a few items kick out on me and blowing a couple disk i'm looking at other options.
    mainly cutting exhaust pipes
    i'd really like a bench top one but seems like they are pretty expensive.
    I have a Milwaukee 18v with the lithium ions (the fat ones) and a plug in one, best thing in the world lol. I use em alot for cutting all kinds of pipe (exhaust to thick steel vic pipe) uni strut angle iron etc.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

cool i'll looking into one of those.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Rob Warrick
    Vehicle
    95 Camaro z28

Race team I work for has one in the pit box. They're badass. It's a Milwaukee though.
    95 6 speed
    385 nitrous build 9.80 goal
    build- http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5286

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

If you want better cuts like the miter saw find a used stationary band saw, you get the proper angles only cleaner with no dust.
    The porta bands are very handy cordless, but lack precision. And new/ sharp bands are a must. Nothing a grinder can't touch up anyway.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Quote Originally Posted by gmpowered View Post
    If you want better cuts like the miter saw find a used stationary band saw, you get the proper angles only cleaner with no dust.
    The porta bands are very handy cordless, but lack precision. And new/ sharp bands are a must. Nothing a grinder can't touch up anyway.
    i was kind of thinking the same thing. portability isnt much of a concern(as long as it doesnt take up half the garage).
    i did find a couple on amazon that got good ratings. its can be used both vertical and horizontal... also harborfreight has one that got really good ratings... but i know they are hit or miss... mostly miss.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

i was kind of thinking the same thing. portability isnt much of a concern(as long as it doesnt take up half the garage).
    i did find a couple on amazon that got good ratings. its can be used both vertical and horizontal... also harborfreight has one that got really good ratings... but i know they are hit or miss... mostly miss.
    All the metal work I do has me strongly considering the harbor freight model. I've seen all the u tube vids and reveiws as well. I've had decent luck with harbor freight, I wouldn't use their stuff to rely on or in a production role but for once in a while their better rated stuff works.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

yeah i actually just ordered it from them... found a 25% off coupon so got it for a little over 200.
    people rate harbor freight stuff pretty honestly so if they get some good rating i feel halfway confident lol.
    hell i bought an angle grinder from them and its still going strong... and i grind alot since my welding isnt pretty.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

yeah i actually just ordered it from them... found a 25% off coupon so got it for a little over 200.
    people rate harbor freight stuff pretty honestly so if they get some good rating i feel halfway confident lol.
    hell i bought an angle grinder from them and its still going strong... and i grind alot since my welding isnt pretty.
    All my tools at work I use harbor freight then get replacement when they break with Milwaukee lol

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Alex Rauld
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am GT

Local guy I know builds tons of turbo setups for people and uses a harbor freight horizontal with zero issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast