Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28 View Post
    @Injuneer, are there any O2's that are lead resistant?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    A few years back NGK came out with lead resistant narrow band O2 sensors. A magazine tested them on leaded fuel, and the first one failed almost immediately. The replacement seemed to tolerate the lead. I run open loop, but still have the stock Delco O2's installed to plug the bungs. Although I run the engine with a MoTeC ECU, I still have the stock PCM for IAC and the speedo. So I can still read the O2 sensors with my Scanmaster. The engine is tuned w/ C16 for the 300-shot. With that heavily leaded fuel (6 grams/gallon) one of the O2 sensors still appears to read correctly, the other is way off.

A buddy of mine with an 1,125HP S/C 383 LT1 ran dual wide bands, and with the same fuel, he got about 40 - 50 hours of run time out of the sensors. I don't think running diluted 5 gal of leaded fuel through it will hurt them, but the risk is there.

There also isn't anything to be gained by adding the 110 octane fuel, unless he has some detonation with pump gas. When Second Street was setting up my initial tune, they got 490 HP at the flywheel with Sunoco 94. Static CR is about 10.9:1. Tried running 100 octane VP and could not gain any HP. Then, to baseline for the nitrous tune, they took the tune for pump gas, ran it on the 116 (motor) octane VP and picked up 6 HP from the fuel with no changes. The reason for the small gain was higher specific energy content. The C16 has a higher density (pounds/gallon) and the same BTU/pound, which yields more BTU/gallon of fuel.

Now they are cramming in even more energy by oxygenating the race fuel, and picking up significant HP.
    Last edited by Injuneer; 02-17-2016 at 12:06 AM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

As said, you wont gain anything unless it is having some retard due to detonation, also when you run race gas, you can have gains by tuning for it, i.e. adding more timing..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle
    Silver 1996 Camaro Z28, Green 1996 Camaro Z28

This is true I'm not sure on the tune what was done and all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    96 Camaro Z28 Silver Mostly Stock, Full Exhaust
    96 Camaro Z28 Green Big Cam, Quick Performance 9 Inch Rear End, Full Exhuast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12