Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Default eBay Endoscope aka cheap boroscope

So some of you may have been lucky enough to have an Endoscopy done at your doctor/hospital where they probe you in some form or another. Well, I bought one...sort of.

During a late, late night session of tossing and turning due to an afternoon nap and web browsing on my phone, I saw an ad on Facebook for a camera that attaches to an Android phone (charging port) and basically turns it into a boroscope. My buddy bought a Snap-On boroscope years ago and while it was cool, the camera and screen SUCKED. I was always jealous though. We've all been in tight places on cars and wished we could see what our eyes just couldn't get to.

So anyway, back to this "gadget." On the FB ad, it said it was like $32 plus shipping. They claim to have used some fancy Sony camera, along with high end LED's and the whole works was waterproof. The camera wasn't HD, though and had really poor resolution, but who cares. Looked up a comparable unit on eBay for a fraction of the cost, same specs but longer. The price was about $17 shipped and other sizes are available.

Got it a week or so later. Came in a nice tin. Really long cable/camera with LEDs/etc, instructions, little mirror attachment to see around corners, cleaning cloth, etc. The instructions had you scan the QR code on your phone which downloads the viewer and driver (the first one didn't work, but the second code did). Fired it up and played around with it. I like it but probably went a little overkill on the length. It's actually a fairly quality piece and even though the resolution is garbage for the AV enthusiast, you can't beat it for the money.

Another thing to note, this won't work with all android phones. It needs to support OTG and external cameras. My Samsung Galaxy S5 fits the bill.

One other thing to note, is that this should work with a PC as well. The instructions claim that the package should include a USB dongle/adapter and a driver CD but it does not. I didn't buy this for my computer so I really don't care. I also have an LG tablet I may try it on if I need a bigger screen.

UNEDITED Pics:

S5 Pic*** Upside-down lol - the tin next to a 3oz tube of RTV

S5 Pic*** Contents

S5 Pic*** Instructions 1

S5 Pic*** Instructions 2

This is the camera itself, maybe a foot or so away.

Here is the camera again, closer. Much clearer.

UNEDITED Vid of prodding the camera at a third gen Berlinetta tail light and looking inside the lenses:

Ad:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400980683624
    The seller is songyupeng1...

Final thoughts:
    I like it. The quality works for my immediate needs and I love the price. If this stops working 6 weeks from now, I won't be upset. Hell, I probably won't use it all that much anyway. For the hobbyist, it does the job. If I had to buy it again, I would have went shorter than 5 meters on the cable length. All in all, solid purchase and a solid product.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

2. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Usage notes:

Plug it in and fire up the Endoscope app!

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Hey not bad at all. I was hoping someone would see if they were worth it or not. I think I'll pick one up.
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firebird_1995 For This Post: