Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blkchevyz View Post
    i keep thinking about getting one for a daily driver... but i feel then i will never get my 94 going again.
    Story of my LIFE!

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by blkchevyz View Post
    i keep thinking about getting one for a daily driver... but i feel then i will never get my 94 going again.
    It happens often...

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

So, I pulled the trigger on the dyno day registration.

The shop doing the tune only does street tunes, which I'd prefer. So the dyno day will kill the curiosity.

I've been spending a lot of time on the car, lately. Just odds and ends, mainly.

- Tires. Bought some used 90% tread Nitto Motivo's for the rears. The wheels are 20x10 or 20x11, so probably should have went wider than the stock size 275's. Oh well. Had them mounted and all 4 balanced yesterday. Cleaned the wheels and tires at the car wash, then scrubbed at the garage and installed.

- Trans fluid. Common on the 2010 Camaro's, the TR6060 has a notchy 2nd gear when cold. I don't bang gears when it's cold, but I can tell it isn't a smooth engagement into 2nd gear. Some higher mileage cars will actually grind, mine is just notchy. Some kind of design change was made with later cars, '11-12ish received the change and they have zero issues. New fluid helps but likely won't resolve the issue completely. I added just shy of 4 quarts of Redline ATF D4 which is one of the fluids of choice for the TR6060. Super easy and straight forward. My fluid pump was junk so I rigged up some heater hose with various sizes and a funnel, and filled it up in the engine bay lol. Bolts were square holes that my 3/8" ratchet fit right into.

- Diff fluid. Another recommended fluid change ASAP. The stock fluid was nasty and very gel-like. It didn't smell like the normal ass in our 10 bolts, but it didn't smell good, either. It reminded me of a watered down anti-seize in terms of color and consistency. I replaced it with Mobil 1 75w90 with the LS friction modifier already added. Drain and fill bolts were square holes for the 3/8" ratchet also. I couldn't get the entire quart in, so when I sit the front end back down off the jack stands, Ill jack up the one corner as high as possible and fill the diff.

- Oil change. Normal 5w30 Mobil 1 with a PF48 (non-E) delco filter.

- Brakes. I picked up the newly designed Powerstop Z26 pads for the front and rear for ~$135. I couldn't justify Hawk's or some other high end pad for the DD. The Powerstops are great because they have the rollerskate weights on them. Most replacement pads do not. Fun fact - 2010 Camaro's have unique lead weights stuck to the front calipers. This was a last minute design change that the engineers did to try and quiet the brakes down. This only occurred on early '10 cars. The change was then switched to pads with weights. Really neat reading into this as I initially thought some jackass just added wheel weights to the calipers for no reason. Also, Brembo brakes...wow. EASIEST brakes I have ever done, HANDS DOWN! You don't even had to remove the calipers to do a pad change! Two pins and a thin metal plate hold the pads in place. Tap em out with a punch and the pads easily slide out. It took me longer to remove the wheels with a 1/2" drive ratchet than it did to change pads.

Ex.

- Heat tape. Bought some heat tape and covered up some wires/connecters located around the collectors. Also snuck the excess o2 extension wire under the heat shield and pinched it in place.

- Exhaust leaks. I had to tighten up one of the stainless band clamps (driver side) that connects the catless extension pipe to the catback on the drive side. The added noise/harmonics of the LTs makes me paranoid, so I will be going over the exhaust once more before the car comes down off the stands. I know the passenger side muffler is pretty close to a heat shield so I will modify that. Otherwise, it's quiet at start up and idle but really wakes up at WOT. It sounds very Vette or exotic-like. Can't wait for the tune so I can hear it at WOT.

- Header bolts. Need to retorque them now that I've heat cycled a few times. Piece of cake. Did I mention the previous owner man'd up and bought ARP header bolts? I wish they were stainless, but better than stock. Yes, I reused them.

- Detail. After everything is gone over, a good detail is on it's way. I bought some new Adam's pads to replace my Gen 1's. Also want to add some touch up paint to a few chips.

- Tune. I didn't schedule this, yet. But I'll be looking at the long-term weather report today. Hoping for early to mid March. Needs to have some miles on it before the dyno day. I don't want a leak or tune issue developing and can't go on the roller.

I'm probably missing some stuff, but it's soon ready for DD duty once again. I think it'll keep my thirst satiated for a while. I know in another 3-4 years, I'll get bored and find a CTS-V (V2 or V3) to play with. For now, it is just a solid car and fun to drive. Plus gets decent gas mileage. But who cares, I work from home!

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by harner View Post
    So, I pulled the trigger on the dyno day registration.

The shop doing the tune only does street tunes, which I'd prefer. So the dyno day will kill the curiosity.

I've been spending a lot of time on the car, lately. Just odds and ends, mainly.

- Tires. Bought some used 90% tread Nitto Motivo's for the rears. The wheels are 20x10 or 20x11, so probably should have went wider than the stock size 275's. Oh well. Had them mounted and all 4 balanced yesterday. Cleaned the wheels and tires at the car wash, then scrubbed at the garage and installed.

- Trans fluid. Common on the 2010 Camaro's, the TR6060 has a notchy 2nd gear when cold. I don't bang gears when it's cold, but I can tell it isn't a smooth engagement into 2nd gear. Some higher mileage cars will actually grind, mine is just notchy. Some kind of design change was made with later cars, '11-12ish received the change and they have zero issues. New fluid helps but likely won't resolve the issue completely. I added just shy of 4 quarts of Redline ATF D4 which is one of the fluids of choice for the TR6060. Super easy and straight forward. My fluid pump was junk so I rigged up some heater hose with various sizes and a funnel, and filled it up in the engine bay lol. Bolts were square holes that my 3/8" ratchet fit right into.

- Diff fluid. Another recommended fluid change ASAP. The stock fluid was nasty and very gel-like. It didn't smell like the normal ass in our 10 bolts, but it didn't smell good, either. It reminded me of a watered down anti-seize in terms of color and consistency. I replaced it with Mobil 1 75w90 with the LS friction modifier already added. Drain and fill bolts were square holes for the 3/8" ratchet also. I couldn't get the entire quart in, so when I sit the front end back down off the jack stands, Ill jack up the one corner as high as possible and fill the diff.

- Oil change. Normal 5w30 Mobil 1 with a PF48 (non-E) delco filter.

- Brakes. I picked up the newly designed Powerstop Z26 pads for the front and rear for ~$135. I couldn't justify Hawk's or some other high end pad for the DD. The Powerstops are great because they have the rollerskate weights on them. Most replacement pads do not. Fun fact - 2010 Camaro's have unique lead weights stuck to the front calipers. This was a last minute design change that the engineers did to try and quiet the brakes down. This only occurred on early '10 cars. The change was then switched to pads with weights. Really neat reading into this as I initially thought some jackass just added wheel weights to the calipers for no reason. Also, Brembo brakes...wow. EASIEST brakes I have ever done, HANDS DOWN! You don't even had to remove the calipers to do a pad change! Two pins and a thin metal plate hold the pads in place. Tap em out with a punch and the pads easily slide out. It took me longer to remove the wheels with a 1/2" drive ratchet than it did to change pads.

Ex.

- Heat tape. Bought some heat tape and covered up some wires/connecters located around the collectors. Also snuck the excess o2 extension wire under the heat shield and pinched it in place.

- Exhaust leaks. I had to tighten up one of the stainless band clamps (driver side) that connects the catless extension pipe to the catback on the drive side. The added noise/harmonics of the LTs makes me paranoid, so I will be going over the exhaust once more before the car comes down off the stands. I know the passenger side muffler is pretty close to a heat shield so I will modify that. Otherwise, it's quiet at start up and idle but really wakes up at WOT. It sounds very Vette or exotic-like. Can't wait for the tune so I can hear it at WOT.

- Header bolts. Need to retorque them now that I've heat cycled a few times. Piece of cake. Did I mention the previous owner man'd up and bought ARP header bolts? I wish they were stainless, but better than stock. Yes, I reused them.

- Detail. After everything is gone over, a good detail is on it's way. I bought some new Adam's pads to replace my Gen 1's. Also want to add some touch up paint to a few chips.

- Tune. I didn't schedule this, yet. But I'll be looking at the long-term weather report today. Hoping for early to mid March. Needs to have some miles on it before the dyno day. I don't want a leak or tune issue developing and can't go on the roller.

I'm probably missing some stuff, but it's soon ready for DD duty once again. I think it'll keep my thirst satiated for a while. I know in another 3-4 years, I'll get bored and find a CTS-V (V2 or V3) to play with. For now, it is just a solid car and fun to drive. Plus gets decent gas mileage. But who cares, I work from home!

Parked nose to nose for the winter with my stepdad's 55.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Started on the detail on Saturday. This thread is spiralling and I apologize ahead of time haha.

Since the car sits in my parents' pole building, I couldn't take all the detail supplies, just the essentials. As you can see, I am invested in quite a bit of Adam's Polishes products. It was very cold and windy outside, but that didn't stop me from getting down to business!

1. Wash. The car had an inch of dust since I had the cover off to do the header install. After a couple days, it accumulated dust and I left the cover off on purpose. I used the Adam's Rinseless Wash in a spray bottle, diluted about 1:4 with bottled water. I didn't care about residue, hence the dilute. It smells like bubble gum, which is awesome haha. My gloves and rags smelled great. With using a wash system like this, it's important to not reuse the rags when wiping, because you're just pushing the dust and dirt into the clear. Needless to say, I went through quite a bit of rags.

2. Claybar. After the wash, I used the Adam's claybar with some Meguier's detail spray. My normal go-to for claybar is Meguiers as the Adam's clay is not malleable enough for my liking. A few seconds in front of the torpedo heater helped lol. Anyway, clayed the entire car, including wheels, all glass, and all painted surfaces - and headlight lenses.

3. Tough-up paint. I bought a TUP stick made by AC Delco with my paint code. It has a small tip for doing very precise sanding of the area that will be touched up. It also has a pen-like tip that presses in and a clear coat swab. The car had a long scrape on the passenger side of the front bumper cover and this made it not go away, but masked the ugliness. I did a walk around on the car and hit quite a few areas. The front bumper cover really needed a lot of work.

4. Wheels & Tires. Picked up a bottle of (insert name here) chrome polish. I can't think of the name offhand, but it looks a bit more industrial than the typical crap cream you buy at the parts store. This was from the hardware store lol. It worked well on the rims. I used the rinseless wash on the rims inside and out before they went back on the car. Ran out of energy to steel wool the insides, but definitely cleaned them up. The chrome polish worked well. You apply with a damp rag and remove after it's dry. Definitely a difference and they look great. I also applied some Adam's SuperVRT to the tires and wow... I was always an armor all or whatever brand shiny tire guy. SuperVRT is so much cleaner and easier to use.

5. 1st round polish. Still waiting for the smaller backing plate to arrive in the mail so I was very careful. Used the Adam's Severe Swirl & Haze Remover with a gen 5 microfiber pad. Never used a pad like that before. I definitely made an impact on the paint. I did all painted surfaces and glass without wiping off the clay residue. I wiped it all off with a double sided-edgeless Adam's microfiber towel and it looks fantastic. Also cleared up some nasty swirls that were forming from last year's lazy washes in the driveway with a single bucket. Not to mention the quick wash prior to tucking it away at the car wash with the foam brush. This isn't a miracle cure product, but it works nice for the amateur enthusiast with a Porter Cable 7424XP polisher.

Up next is a pass with Swirl & Haze remover, then Machine Super Sealant, and then Fine Machine Polish. Once that is done, I'll inspect the paint a bit and apply some Buttery Wax with a polishing pad. Msybe some H20 Guard & Gloss as well but I've been reading mixed reviews on usage on that. Then hitting the outside rubber and vinyl with SuperVRT and doing up the interior. I bought Adam's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner for the seats and may either use In & Out Spray or VRT on the interior. Engine bay is pretty clean, but I'll be sure to hit that as well before it leaves the garage.

It'll be nice and shiny for a DD and will look great for the tune. Should be dirty with a nice shine for the dyno day haha. I don't want a show car, but the car was never a beauty queen up close from the day I bought it. Definitely a highway car with tons of chips, plus we all know black is the hardest to keep clean. As long as it's polished right and clean inside, that's my big concern.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

You bringing it to OC this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

I'm not 100% sure I'll make it this Spring. Trying to knuckle-down on the Trans Am build and would rather have the funds to put into the car if need be. Hope to be in the T/A for Fall though!

I broke the Camaro out of storage last night. Did all polishes and wax. I forgot how easy Adam's is to wipe off. The SuperVRT cleaned up the plastics from accidently hitting them with the polish and wax, while making them look like new again. I love that stuff! Added some new flat black badges. The previous owner painted over the red "SS" on front and back. They got real sloppy on the front as black paint is all over the chrome surround. I'll probably replace that some day since it bothers me. I had some flat black vinyl cut for me so the car can have some real GS stripes, but one stripe wasn't long enough. I'll save that for another day lol.

Now, the best part - driving. The car sounds nice and healthy at start-up. Maybe a tick louder than it sounded before with a better, throatier tone. I didn't tach it up since it needs a tune, but the car really wakes up, now. I love the sound and think it's perfect. Finally, I achieved the sound I was after lol. It's perfect for a DD as driving at 55 in 5th has zero drone and is very quiet. Like stock quiet. Going for a tune, tomorrow. Just a street tune so no numbers until the dyno day. I can definitely feel more power, as well. But have yet to go over 4k rpm. It's rich as hell and throwing o2 codes so I don't want to push it. Tomorrow is a different story!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Orrrrr... have the ta ready for the spring cruise.

OWNER/ADMIN

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Welllllll.... even if the T/A was ready for OCMD, I would never have the balls to drive it that far so soon and out of the AAA tow radius lol.

The Camaro was tuned yesterday at the shop who now has the T/A. Very impressive place, nice to see professionalism and enthusiasm. I feel very safe with the tune. Since I had the equivalent of a mail order prior to the LT's, we determined that all that did was add 4% fuel and ditched torque management. This tune leaned it out a tad, but it's still nice and safe. The car is much smoother all around - I don't really know how else to describe it. The street tune was interesting to say the least. I'll find out numbers at the dyno day, but for now I'm really happy with how the car drives and performs. The butt dyno is happy lol. I don't care if it lost peak power, because it just feels so much stronger across the power band, not just up top like it did before. Although, I'm shooting for 425-430rwhp. We shall see once it gets strapped down on the heartbreaker lol.
    Last edited by harner; 03-09-2016 at 07:36 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harner For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Cant wait man!

OWNER/ADMIN

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast