Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

Default Clutch Recommendations

so I am looking to upgrade my clutch over this winter, currently there is an ebay "stage 3" clutch that the PO put in which was newish when I bought the car. needless to say I do not like it, it chatters a lot and is a PITA (and leg) in traffic. as many of you know, I have fastbird's old turbo kit in my barn waiting to go on but want to make sure the rest of the car is up to the task first (rear end, trans, and some motor work), so I want something that will hold up to 500+whp when the time comes to install the kit. I have heard good things about the McLeod RXT, but want to get some people are using or recommend as I know there are a couple boosted 6 speed guys on here so hopefully they will have some input. car is/will be mainly a street car with a couple road course or autox events mixed in during the summer. thanks
    Last edited by hokeplaya05; 11-25-2015 at 08:52 AM.

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Ernie
    Vehicle
    97 Mullet

I'm running a stg2 diamond clutch disc from Jason @ TDP.
    Car is a 6 Speed with a similar turbo setup as you.
    355 LT1 Turbo, Ported TFS heads, LE Ported Intake, LE cam, 80lb inj, Dual pumps 340 & 320lph on e85, etc.....
    www.fquick.com/SleepyZ
    <font color=#ff0000>

10 Second N/A Club

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    96 Z28

McLeod has a limited selection if your still using the LT style clutch, there's a wide variety of the LS style. If you have the LT style and don't want to spent the $ to convert I use and recommend a Spec stage 3+. It's rated to 845 ft/lbs tq and has very stock like drive ability. It has carbon semi metallic friction material and a double sprung hub which helps prevent chatter. I'd be happy to get you a price if your interested. No matter what clutch kit you go with make sure you have your flywheel surfaced, failing to do so will result in premature clutch failure.
    Last edited by 96LT1355Z28; 11-25-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    -Josh
    co-owner of BDBRacing.com
    NMCA OC 9004
    96, N/A 385, Holley EFI, Faceplated M6, AI TFS heads, LE SR cam, MWC Fab 9
    10.16 @ 136 1.50 60'........still workin on that 60' shootin for 1.4's!

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy_z View Post
    I'm running a stg2 diamond clutch disc from Jason @ TDP.
    Car is a 6 Speed with a similar turbo setup as you.
    what is that rated to? also, what is TDP?

Quote Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28 View Post
    McLeod has a limited selection if your still using the LT style clutch, there's a wide variety of the LS style. If you have the LT style and don't want to spent the $ to convert I use and recommend a Spec stage 3+. It's rated to 845 ft/lbs tq and has very stock like drive ability. It has carbon semi metallic friction material and a double sprung hub which helps prevent chatter. I'd be happy to get you a price if your interested. No matter what clutch kit you go with make sure you have your flywheel surfaced, failing to do so will result in premature clutch failure.
    yea I just looked at their website and it looks like they don't carry the RXT for LT1's anymore, last time I had checked they did. for sure I would like to see a price on the spec stage 3+, I hadn't even thought about spec. definitely would get the flywheel surfaced, I had it done a couple years ago when I put the 383 together. is there any benefit to a lighter flywheel while I am at it?

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

The 3+ is what I have. I wouldn't say it's like stock but it's definitely not as aggressive as a puck clutch. Definitely liveable with the right gearing.

Also, light flywheels are bad for drag but good for road racing.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Brian DeLuca
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

If you can swing the $, I can't recommend the McLeod street twin more. Holds all the power you can throw at it, excellent pedal feel, no chatter, slightly heavier than stock and you can have it rebuilt. I've owned and driven other clutches and still love my ST.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt - 10.2@140 / 777rwhp - Forever Dyno Queen
    17 Corvette Z06 - 11.05 @ 125
    17 GMC Sierra Denali Dmax

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Ernie
    Vehicle
    97 Mullet

Quote Originally Posted by hokeplaya05 View Post
    what is that rated to? also, what is TDP?
    Texas Drivetrain Performance.
    If you google diamond clutch, it should be the first site. Jason told me before he was able to get LT1 versions of the clutches.
    Stg2 is rated to 600hp.
    355 LT1 Turbo, Ported TFS heads, LE Ported Intake, LE cam, 80lb inj, Dual pumps 340 & 320lph on e85, etc.....
    www.fquick.com/SleepyZ
    <font color=#ff0000>

Lurker

Status

X2 on the McLeod street twin I love mine
    forged 383,9.6:1,280xfi, trickflow heads,edlebrock lt4 intake,moser 12 bolt w/373

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

X3 on the McLeod as well. 13 years of use/abuse still good as the the day I got it. Hell, it outlasted my Strange 12 bolt!
    1995 FORMULA M6

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Loved the McLeod Street Twin. I bought it used from a guy who figured 1,000+ HP was probably not a good idea with a stock T56. $1,000 for the Street Twin, his T56 and a ballistic nylon bell housing blanket. Used the Street Twin for a few years. Excellent street manners, no problems with 5,000 - 6,000 RPM dumps on a sticky track. Sold my T56 setup with the Street Twin to someone for a T56 conversion.... $2,000. Enjoyed it while I owned it.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast