Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

LTX Regular

Status

Default Custom oval y pipe. Pros and Cons?

Slowly getting my thoughts together on this. Going to be switching to Kooks 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 w/ their 3.5" collectors using V band clamps off the collectors. My issue is clearance of course and customizing...use kooks y pipe or go full custom using oval piping w/ transition pipe to a flowmaster merge collector and v band to attach to my 4" mufflex exh.

Are there any cons to going oval? Based on what little I've been able to find out would be loss of hp and or back pressue. Keep in ming I'm a 385 blown F1 shooting for 800rwhp this go around. I'm not sure it'd be and issue or not but would just like some thoughts and whether or not I'm in the right section to post this. LOL

Thanks.
    93 SRZ

02 MY Z06, LG pro LT headers, catted X-pipe, Borla stingers, CC 224/228, CC918's, CAI, CCW's just your basic C5Z

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Brian DeLuca
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Is your exhaust currently the lowest part of the car? My biggest issue is my chassis mount torque arm up by the trans. I suppose oval piping mayyy lose a little power but I'm sure it won't be really quantifiable. As long as the volume is there, I wouldn't be too concerned.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt - 10.2@140 / 777rwhp - Forever Dyno Queen
    17 Corvette Z06 - 11.05 @ 125
    17 GMC Sierra Denali Dmax

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

I'm thinking of going oval when I put coil-overs on. So I can lower some and not have to worry about hitting. I currently have a custom true dual 3" similar to the kooks setup. My exhaust has never hit but my Doug's headers cutouts have scraped a few times. So I'm thinking about going to a 3.5 oval to compensate for loss of flow and lower the car a good bit and forget the cutouts. I'm building a boosted 383 with a goal of 700-750 rwhp. Time and money is my enemy. House projects are killing my engine build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

The biggest con I've seen is cost, anything oval gets crazy expensive. I was looking at a Spintech oval x pipe the other day because I want to change my exhaust again too. $675, I had R6 catch my breath and try hard to not fall down!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Sean Cross
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro Z28

Why not use 4" (4x2.5) oval tubing?
    For reference here is the area of different pipe not accounting for material thickness.
    Width Height Area
    3 " 1 3/4" 4.6"²
    2 1/2" 4.9"²
    3 1/2" 2 1/4" 6.8"²
    3 " 7.1"²
    4 " 2 1/2" 8.7"²
    3 1/2" 9.6"²
    4 5/8" 2 3/4" 11.1"²
    4 " 12.6"²
    6 " 3 1/4" 17.2"²
    5 " 19.6"²

LTX Regular

Status

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdws6 View Post
    Is your exhaust currently the lowest part of the car? My biggest issue is my chassis mount torque arm up by the trans. I suppose oval piping mayyy lose a little power but I'm sure it won't be really quantifiable. As long as the volume is there, I wouldn't be too concerned.
    The driver side y portion of the pipe is the lowest currently w/ my FLP's no cats. I'm LOW on coil over setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 1QUICKZ28 View Post
    I'm thinking of going oval when I put coil-overs on. So I can lower some and not have to worry about hitting. I currently have a custom true dual 3" similar to the kooks setup. My exhaust has never hit but my Doug's headers cutouts have scraped a few times. So I'm thinking about going to a 3.5 oval to compensate for loss of flow and lower the car a good bit and forget the cutouts. I'm building a boosted 383 with a goal of 700-750 rwhp. Time and money is my enemy. House projects are killing my engine build.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOU TOO?! I've been building my house for the past yr. God, drained damn near all my money for other things and slowly building my reserves back up only blow them again on the car, house and workshop. LOL It never ends. The size of oval I'm going with is 2 1/2 by 4". I've got a TIG so I'll save a lil money on that but yeah the parts still will be up there..

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
    Why not use 4" (4x2.5) oval tubing?
    For reference here is the area of different pipe not accounting for material thickness.
    Width Height Area
    3 " 1 3/4" 4.6"²
    2 1/2" 4.9"²
    3 1/2" 2 1/4" 6.8"²
    3 " 7.1"²
    4 " 2 1/2" 8.7"²
    3 1/2" 9.6"²
    4 5/8" 2 3/4" 11.1"²
    4 " 12.6"²
    6 " 3 1/4" 17.2"²
    5 " 19.6"²
    Thanks, pretty much what I'm doing in terms of size.

Thanks all for responding!
    Last edited by The SRZ; 11-07-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    93 SRZ

02 MY Z06, LG pro LT headers, catted X-pipe, Borla stingers, CC 224/228, CC918's, CAI, CCW's just your basic C5Z