Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    Caleb
    Vehicle
    '94 Bright Teal Z28 M6

Default Maintenance on my '94 z28 pic heavy

Heya guys. I'm going to log the stuff I've been working on with my new car. Maybe someone else will need to do what I am and find this.

I sold my old '00 3800 camaro that was my first car. I drove it for 10 years. I think it had 145k miles on it. It was a nice car to have, but I never wanted to upgrade it much since it was only a v-6.

I just bought a teal z28 M6 with 30k miles. I looked at the bill of sale and the previous owner put about 5k miles on it in 4 years. I am the third owner of the car.

I think all sitting and no driving has shrunk some of the seals. It had an oil leak from the intake manifold which I repaired.
    The repair took me about a whole day. I went over everything dirty and replaced/fixed some things.

I changed oil and filter (castrol edge and K&N chevy truck filter). After the oil change it still leaked. The left side of the motor is wet beneath the exhaust manifold. I couldn't get a clear picture. the oil cooler assy is wet and my transmission too. Valve cover is dry. Tomorrow I'll check again. I wiped up the wet spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bright Teal ’94 Z28 – K&N CAI – Speed Engineering LTs – Pacesetter ORY – Magnaflow Muff
    Test my MPG Calculator https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Caleb
    Vehicle
    '94 Bright Teal Z28 M6

Every time I get started on one problem I end up getting side-tracked on another!

Today I wanted to try and find why it smells like gas in my car. I guessed I may have messed up hooking the fuel rail back in when I redid my intake gasket. I checked the connections and lifted the rail, I couldn't find anything. I'm thinking it's my charcoal canister. We've got a gas tank on the farm but it doesn't shut off sometime. It overflowed for a sec before I could shut it off. I'm going to have figure out where the canister even is!

After that I wanted to work in some cooling issues. The car runs around 225 in town. When it gets hot the oil leak smells really bad.

I used a hand pump and got the old coolant out if the radiator and overflow tank. Looking from the radiator neck the coolant looked green. Rusty sludge came out from the seal on the cap. I drained both flushed and refilled. Took the battery and overflow out. Here's a pic of the second overflow flush contents. I hope my engine isn't full of that!

My coolant low light also flickers constantly every two seconds. Here is why! It is important to clean out the hole that the sensor goes into! It was full of this brown crap too!

I am afraid to do a full flush, my heater bleed valve is broken off right now. I bought this to replace it
    http://jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_C...ightGlass.html

Afraid if I flush the system I won't be able to bleed the heater hoses. Pretty sure they are dry right now though. The heater doesn't work.

Tomorrow I'm gonna work on the heater core and oil leaks. Also I'm going to wire a manual fan switch. My PC won't let me flash a tune to the PCM. I've got a 160 T-stat in. Hopefully a switch will get me by until I can get it tuned.

Bright Teal ’94 Z28 – K&N CAI – Speed Engineering LTs – Pacesetter ORY – Magnaflow Muff

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Great write up man. To get the full potential of the colder thermostat u will need to lower the trigger temp for the fans.

As for it running hot in town, is ur air damn still in place under the nose of the car?

LTXtech.com IS my drug...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Caleb
    Vehicle
    '94 Bright Teal Z28 M6

Default Maintenance on my '94 z28 pic heavy

Did some more investigation on the oil leaks. Fuck me it's the intake again. To the left of the oil pressure sender where the gap between the head and block are. There is a crack where the head gasket does t go all the way out. It is leaking from that area.

Couldn't get a clean shot of it

Guess the good news is I can probably redo it in an hour know that I know what I'm doing.

I'll try torquing the bolts again first. I used a lot of the "right stuff" and put it all around the "ears" of the gasket. I cleaned everything with degreaser.

Last edited by Mrmaroon; 09-29-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Caleb
    Vehicle
    '94 Bright Teal Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post

As for it running hot in town, is ur air damn still in place under the nose

Yep it's on there. It gets the hottest sitting still. It runs 200 going 30mph or so. This has been on mostly 80-90 degree days. It's going to be in the 60's this week. I'll see if it changes.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Dan Dalessandro
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28

I bought heater hoses for my 97 from gmpartsdirect. I think it was $150? I would drain the block. Pull out the knock sensor and the drain plug. Shbox.com has the locations for those. That's probably the original dexcool coolant and you can't mix it with other coolants otherwise it turns into a hard substance. Honestly, I blame all my cooling troubles on myself. I half-assed it hard and almost paid big for it. 99% of cooling system is new because I got cheap lol.

My car runs just past the 160 mark with my 160 thermostat. When I'm putting around school, I flip on low speed fans.

Sent from my Galaxy S6.

14.307@98.21, 2.155 60'

97 Z28, M6 with stuff done to it. SHOOTING FOR 12s IN A BOLT ON LT1 BOYS

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Caleb
    Vehicle
    '94 Bright Teal Z28 M6

Ok guys today I have been working on my manual fan switch. I am electrically challenged. I'm going off the shbox.com obd1 wiring diagram and I'm not going to use LED's

Here's what I've done so far.

I've spliced my green wire to the green and blue wires. My plug doesn't look like shbox's. I only have one not two.

Next I removed the PCM and routed the wires through the firewall grommet. I had to cut a little hole in the rubber for the wires.

Now inside the car! I removed the glove box by taking out the bottom 3 hinge screws and bending the inside plastic of the box to remove it.

Next I took off the passenger side panel piece.

After it was removed I found my wires.

I routed them under the glove box and into the cassette tray for now. It's an easy spot to work with right now.

Here is where I am stuck. . . I don't know much about electronics, so this probably sounds dumb - which wire would be the ground ? I'm guessing it's black. I found a nice thick black wire by the silver box to the right of the glove box. Would this one work?

Also I grabbed the wrong switch. It's a DPDT switch, but it doesn't stay on by itself, you have to hold it there. I'll have to buy the right one some other time, but this one will work for now.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Caleb
    Vehicle
    '94 Bright Teal Z28 M6

Holy cow it worked on the first try! I stuck my ground in the cigarette lighter to test it. Here is how I wired the switch.

The left two and bottom right are grounds. The top middle is high (blue) and bottom is low.

When it is on high do both fans run? It seems like I should run both high and low to one and just low on the other. My fans only have one speed I think.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Dan Dalessandro
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28

With the 94, if I remember... it's one fan on low, both fans on high.

Sent from my Galaxy S6.

14.307@98.21, 2.155 60'

97 Z28, M6 with stuff done to it. SHOOTING FOR 12s IN A BOLT ON LT1 BOYS

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanDalessandro View Post
    With the 94, if I remember... it's one fan on low, both fans on high.

Sent from my Galaxy S6.
    Correct, 94 had 2 relay architecture, later years had 3 relay architecture that had low,med,hi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast