Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default (Update) More spark retard after fixing exhaust leaks and trying race gas.

Mods in sig. I am currently doing mail order tunes through Solomon. The car is running great, except it is getting spark retard and knock counts all over the place. I had a couple exhaust rattles, and figured it was the culprit. I fixed the rattles and exhaust leaks (minus a slight leak at the collectors, which no matter what I try, I cant fix). I also picked up some 102 octane unleaded 3 gallons worth, tanks was pretty much empty. Now, I feel like I am getting MORE spark retard than I was before (even when I did a quick scan before getting race gas, and I felt like I had more present)

I do have an LT4 KM.

The only thing I can think of, is the valve train noise. All rockers tightened @ 2/3 turn.

I can hear them, but no more than any other sbc w/ and aftermarket valve train.

If anyone wants to see my scans, or has a way to post my scans on here I would be more than happy to share. I sent an e-mail to Solomon to see if he has any suggestions, but figured I would ask this group as well. Thanks
    Last edited by 94ndta; 06-06-2016 at 03:57 PM.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    LDM
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Have you tried replacing your knock sensor? I had a bad knock sensor once that gave me a lot of knock all over the place at random but didn't throw an error code.

I have not tried replacing the knock sensor. I have head about them being too tight, and picking up more knock, but I have the stock unit, so I would assume it isn't too tight. That is something I will have to consider. I have kr pretty much all the time I give it has. If the throttle is steady, it doesn't, but a little gas and it goes right to 5 degrees.

I also have my stock lt1 km, I may try that today to see if there is any improvement.

Stock KM made no difference. I did notice it is only in closed loop, no spark retard in open. I don't know if this has any bearing on the issue or not.
    1994 Trans Am GT, stock 28k mi bottom end LE2 H/C/I , 1.6rr, LT4 KM, moroso cai, jet hot lts, hooker y-pipe, slp powerflo, 37# inj, 255 pump, built 4l60e, 2800 stall, spohn/hotchkis/qa1 suspension etc etc.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

If it's picking up spark knock at idle and it's not knocking you can tune it out in the tables, fyi knock doesn't happen unless under load. At idle you're not under load. I have had to do this before
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    If it's picking up spark knock at idle and it's not knocking you can tune it out in the tables, fyi knock doesn't happen unless under load. At idle you're not under load. I have had to do this before
    It is not picking up spark knock at idle, only under load, and only in closed loop.
    1994 Trans Am GT, stock 28k mi bottom end LE2 H/C/I , 1.6rr, LT4 KM, moroso cai, jet hot lts, hooker y-pipe, slp powerflo, 37# inj, 255 pump, built 4l60e, 2800 stall, spohn/hotchkis/qa1 suspension etc etc.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by 94ndta View Post
    It is not picking up spark knock at idle, only under load, and only in closed loop.
    Lock it to 3 degrees and let it eat
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    Lock it to 3 degrees and let it eat
    I am not tuning it . Can you better explain what you are suggesting in why? Honest question, and thanks for the help!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Lock the timing retard to max of 3 degrees. It should be locked lower for performance anyway. If Solomon still has it at 10 degrees (which is factory) I would find a new tuner. What is it at max, as in in ur logs what's your max spark retard?
    2021 Charger Scat 392

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast