Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Robert Wilburn
    Vehicle
    1998 Camaro

Default defective motor(s)

I bought a motor for my 1988 Camaro, put in by Lakeside Chevy in Rockwall, Tx. The first one blew up on the shop floor, the second one sounded like a wrench in a metal can on its first start up. The 3rd one actually ran for JUST over the 3 year warranty before catastrophic failure.
    Now I'm looking another $5300 for a new motor.
    Can anyone suggest a brand that will actually give me what I pay for ?
    Best regards,
    RW

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

A used one taken out of a running car for 500
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Robert Wilburn
    Vehicle
    1998 Camaro

How nice for you. Know of any motors that might last ?, I didn't spend all that time and money restoring my Camaro just to put a junkyard motor in it. I need a good motor built by a good company that has enough integrity to stand behind their product.
    Thanks

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

I don't think he meant anything by that comment, there is nothing wrong with junkyard motors, its all I've ever run, usually outperforming friends "built" cars.

You have a very vague question. Are you looking for a factory era matching motor? An all out race engine? Mild street did engine?

Who built the last one?
    It sounds like you would be happy with a crate motor from gm to drop right in. Jegs or summit has them

Lurker

Status

I would contact some local machine shops in your area or you could alway buy from summit or jegs they offer free shipping on engines a few times a year
    forged 383,9.6:1,280xfi, trickflow heads,edlebrock lt4 intake,moser 12 bolt w/373

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rwilburn View Post
    How nice for you. Know of any motors that might last ?, I didn't spend all that time and money restoring my Camaro just to put a junkyard motor in it. I need a good motor built by a good company that has enough integrity to stand behind their product.
    Thanks
    I said it being serious. You gave us no pointers if this was a class a restoration or a run of the mill make it run I wanna go fast build. What motor is it even? 5.0? 5.7? 383? V6? Etc. What are you looking for? V

In the reman engine department or new, whatever you call it, jasper has some good stuff with a warranty. And btw, junkyard motors do last. Does this car have a lt1 swap? If so have karl ellwein build it for you. Most BRAND engines don't last. High volume low quality. Stay away from blueprint too. Gmpp is good.

And please don't use whoever that dealer used
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 06-04-2015 at 01:21 PM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

You could always have a motor built to meet your needs. There are very reputable builders on here that you can talk to.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris P. Bacon
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

What was the cause for them blowing up so fast? I wouldn't keep throwing engines in it until you figure out what's eating them. I for one would much rather have a junkyard motor that has never been opened as apposed to a built motor that isn't even going to last 20k miles. not many shops can build a motor that comes anywhere close to matching OEM reliability.

'94 Formula 6spd
    If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Formula218 For This Post:

If your not capable or do not want to build your own, then the ONLY option is a GM crate engine. 3yr 100,000 mile warranty. nothing beats that!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to superspirit For This Post: