Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Default 97 SS Rebuild thread

Starting a thread so I can track and record my progress.

I bought my 97 SS back in 2007, the original owner was kind enough to save the original window stickers for me.

When I bought the car it already had over 200K miles on it, I had grand plans of rebuilding it over time. Instead, life happened. New job, new state, apartment living for a few years and finally I am in a house again. Even here, it has sat for the past two years - I was doing a plug/wire replacement and tried to remove the exhaust to get better access, ended up snapping a stud on the exhaust flange... then discovering a broken bolt in the head.

I'm not about to remove/replace just the top end for a broken bolt, because I know my luck I'd just spin a bearing right after getting it back together. So it sat.

Finally, a new neighbor and I were standing around in the garage talking about the "plans" for the car and he just says "F it, lets pull it out right now". I already had the radiator and some stuff removed in preparation of this before losing steam. So I let myself be talked into it, lol. We pulled the motor out from the bottom with nothing but a regular floor jack, a 'mini' floor jack that needed a ramp to sit on to get enough elevation, and a couple of furniture dollies.

So here's how she currently sits.

Think I need to talk to Strano? I think these might be original...

Plans are for a short block refreshing/rebuilding using as much of the stock parts as possible... I'm not going to be racing it so I just want reliable. I am a red blooded American however, so top end I'm thinking a mild LE or AI setup to get close to 400 when done. Stainless long tubes are pretty affordable these days, so I'm leaning for TSP parts there.

I'm debating dropping the money on a tubular front end, K member and A-arms both, mainly for accessibility and a clean look, it's a hobby car so I don't mind saving a bit more to do it right. Rear suspension also use tubular parts and add some subframe connectors (this car is ridiculously stock).

Not sure on the rear yet - since I don't plan on racing or running extraordinarily sticky tires I'm wondering if just refreshing the stock 10 bolt with some 4:10 gears would be worth it. Other stuff will come up as I get to it as well.

Hopefully now that I can see this thread to remind myself to make progress I can get more done. Money's always a factor, only in the time it takes to put it together... home ownership sure does suck a lot of it up. It's either finally start doing this or I start trying to justify a 2016 model... and I could do this for a lot less. It's going to be slow going though.
    1997 Camaro SS ~ 220k of stockness... undergoing transformation.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Very nice start... let me just add this in there. @Fastbird has a tubular kmember for sale right now. ALSO, L.E. is a sponsor and member here... so I suggest going with him. Plus, he is cool as shyt. Lol.

Finally... id upgrade from the 10bolt. I did recently see a member selling am 8.8 set up for an fbody here.... def better insurance from the 10bolt...which have broken under stock power...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Yeah, I used to have a 9C1 Caprice years ago, chewed up the rear on me just pulling away from a stop sign on the way to work one day. Fairly sure that was a 10-bolt as well... been a while since I was involved with B-bodies. I suppose it can happen with anything, but sure ruined my morning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TrybalRage For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post
    Yeah, I used to have a 9C1 Caprice years ago, chewed up the rear on me just pulling away from a stop sign on the way to work one day. Fairly sure that was a 10-bolt as well... been a while since I was involved with B-bodies. I suppose it can happen with anything, but sure ruined my morning.
    B bodies have a 10 bolt that can actually handle power. It's a 8.5" the 10 bolt. F bodies have a 7.5" 10 bolt, the pinion is so small it pushes the ring gear away and then kaboom.

LE is the man for top ends, even his LE1 561 castings flow great, and are a good price.

Best of luck on the build, looks like a nice car
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Well, in two years I've accomplished nothing with this car. Moved to a new state, picked up new hobbies, and finally decided to get the car into the garage so I can start tearing it down again. Had to put the front K member and engine back in so I could get it on a trailer for the 800 mile trip from GA to PA, so got that back out, engine off, on the stand, and started tearing it down.

Unfortunately found some bad stuff - when I went to drain the oil pan, almost a full gallon of water came out first... not sure where that came from! Was a running engine before the exhaust manifold bolts broke off... so... don't know if something froze last winter or what. Got it down to a short block now and nothing is jumping out at me as being 'wrong'. Will have to tear it down all the way and let a machine shop take a look at it.

Last edited by TrybalRage; 09-03-2017 at 11:57 PM.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Maybe it's time to resurrect this thread! I posted about the used motor I picked up for my transplant - idea is just to get rolling under it's own power in the short term - that I got for $250.

http://www.ltxtech.com/forums/showth...ning-engine-in

So rather than continuing there, figured I'd move back to my project thread.

Last night rented the tools to pull the crank hub off the 97 motor, got the timing set and cam out. Cam looks good for the mileage, but there is a very very small nick that appears to line up with the oil hole in the front bearing. Hopefully it won't be an issue. Started tearing down the 93 motor, got the headers off, air injection system off, popped one of the valve covers and it seems pretty clean inside.

Drained the oil and it looks good as well. Dirty, but no evidence of metal or water. Pulled a couple of plugs to spot check them and they look good as well.

I'll try to get some pics up as I move forward.

Anyone want a super rusty set of edelbrock shorties? Theres a small hole near one of the collectors, but could possibly be ground out and welded shut. I'm not going to use them.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    J_D
    Vehicle
    1993 Z28

Please keep us updated.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Got the cam out of the 97 motor, all swapped into the 93 motor.

Tried to clean up the intake as best as I could, got it installed on new felpro gaskets and the timing set installed.

Got a box and a pile of old parts growing off to the side. Going through my bins of 97 parts trying to pick out what I'm going to need/reuse here.

Theres a bunch of things I'm going to have to get new - both the water pumps are in terrible condition. The tensioner pulleys on both are rusted and squeak when I spin them by hand. 97 knock sensor looks pretty gross, so probably won't re-use.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Reached a point where the motor's just about all together, got a new water pump, sensors swapped, wiring mostly done.

My old exhaust manifolds have snapped off flange studs, the headers that came with the new motor have significant rust, and I'm not sure what to do next. I was planning on taking the manifolds to have new studs installed... but at the cost and while I have the motor out of the car I'm debating throwing some stainless headers on there. Of course this would require exhaust, tune, blah blah. So I'm a bit frozen by indecision. Since I'm in PA emissions is a concern.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

I might have some stainless BBK shorties, with A.I.R. tubes for emissions equipment. If you're interested, I'll check in my shed this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast