Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LT1 fuel system

LTX Master

Status

Non-EFI, original type tank. Gonna use an external pump. I had originally figured needing a return port into the tank, but then noticed the LS Vette filter/regulator and thought I might get away without having to go back to the tank. The only other method I can think of is to bring the return line back to a tee at the pump inlet. I have found a tank bung to fit in the OE tank that has suction and return ports, eliminating the need to modify the original, so I suppose that will be the best way to do it.
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

The tank doesn't have a breather or similar port on top?
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

LTX Master

Status

No, It vents through the cap on the OE tank. I could put a tee in the fill pipe and connect the return there, but thats likely more work than just getting the bung fitting with suction and return ports. Besides, the original suction is only 5/16" and should be 3/8".
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.

Ah, not all that familiar with older stuff.

This is extremely over priced IMO, but would offer a solution for a sump. And if you are good with a drill/tap I am sure you could put the return line on that as well.
    http://www.xtremediesel.com/XDP-Blac...Kit-XD131.aspx

LTX Master

Status

Hey SNM, I appreciate your effort, I've got it from here. I can get a tank bung through Tanks, Inc. real cheap.
    http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd105.htm

With this bung I'd have to fab up a suction and return tube to go in the tank, also would have to squeeze in the sending unit stud mount.

Optionally, The tank actually vents from a 1/2" line that goes from the tank top back to the filler neck, which I could tee and tie in the return line there. If I use the stock bung line(5/16") for the pump suction, it may or may not be sufficient to feed the engine. I have noticed that plenty of the externally mounted fuel injection pumps(Walbro,etc.) only have a 5/16" inlet anyway.

Thanks for getting me straight on how the LS/Vette system is supposed to be plumbed up.
    Last edited by JOATMON; 04-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.

No problem, happy to have helped a lil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12