Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LT1 fuel system

LTX Master

Status

Default LT1 fuel system

Hey, Haven't been around in a while. Finally spent a few bucks toward the '57 project on suspension work. I'll be looking at the fuel system before long. I've considered using an LS1 external pump kit with the Corvette style filter/regulator which would allow me to run the return line back to the filter versus all the way back to the tank. I got to thinking the rail mounted regulator may fight against the filter regulator because the LS1 system pressure is higher(~58psi Vs. ~43psi). Anybody ever tryed this? I also got to thinking that I may be able to just run the return line back to a Tee fitting at the pump inlet. Opinions, thoughts, personal experience?
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

Ditch the LT1 fuel reg, and dead head the rails.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

LTX Master

Status

Thanks for the reply. Any idea of what the maxium pressure would be before the injectors would leak by if the key was on and the engine not running?
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.

Mine will sit at 50psi, give or take a lb or two, key on engine off.

LTX Master

Status

Seems I would have to be careful when choosing the fuel pump if I dead head the rails, seen some pumps that will make 100psi +. Pardon my spellen.

Well you would have the vette regulator to limit rail pressure.

So from regulator up to the rails would see whatever set pressure the vette gives you, and thats it, anything else is bled back to tank. Regulator will have the feed in, feed out, and a bypass return line to tank.

Its not a bad way to do it, but, its not perfect. Advantage is you don't pump fuel needlessly through a hot engine bay.

LTX Master

Status

Oh, Ok, I see what you're saying. I was thinking of using my return line, but only back to the vette filter/regulator return nipple. So apparently on the vette set-up the return nipple is going back to the tank? I'm trying to find a clever way to set this up without having to add a return line back to my stock fuel tank.

Something like this

So from the tank, you should have the feed and return, plumb em to where you want to stash the fuel reg, then run the main feed from the reg up to the rails.

Detail

LTX Master

Status

Thx SNM, Now I know how the LS Vette system is setup. Looks like I'll have to add a return port to the tank any way I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOATMON View Post
    Thx SNM, Now I know how the LS Vette system is setup. Looks like I'll have to add a return port to the tank any way I do it.
    You working with a LT1 tank or non EFI setup tank? (Assuming its a tank OE to the '57)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast