Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: running lean

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    timo pajala
    Vehicle
    1967 camaro

yep i know he is a good tuner. Im gonna take the log first and go from there. Cable ordered but dont know how long it takes to get here. My friend told me the same that its running like it should also, from start its rich and leans out from there.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by gmpowered;431936@
    ...Stop guessing what's going on with the car and install a wideband.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Vehicle
    1998 Trans Am

If you think the car is running rich or lean, there is a way to confirm without a wideband, but your true air/fuel ratio without a wideband will be unknown. With Narrowband (factory type) O2 sensors, they have a voltage range of 0 mv to 1000 mv. when the air to fuel mixture is approximately 14.67:1 (stoichiometric ratio of gasoline, best burning ratio), the oxygen sensor will read out approximately 450-500 mv. With a narrowband sensor, at 15.5:1 air to fuel ratio (leaner), you will see O2 values in the 100-200 mv range. It switches away from 450 mv that quickly! Same goes for the rich side. Once you see values of 750-850, this means usually about a 13:1 air/fuel ratio.

If you have the ability to scan the computer and see what the oxygen sensors are reading, you will be able to generally see what the motor is doing. Under open loop, you will see numbers all over the place because the car cannot correct itself. If you have a big cam, you will likely see a leaner voltage at idle than actual because you are going to be moving more fresh air across the O2's due to the cam's overlap. I would only be concerned if you saw the car idling at a dead 100 MV or less when cold. That's a pretty bad lean condition and can cause other issues. Typically when cold you will see 500-950 mv because the car will run much richer under the warm up conditions open loop is set up to do. Another thing to consider is that too rich can be bad as well. If you get nothing but sooty, black clouds when the car is idling/revving/driving and it smells of raw fuel, that can be just as bad as a lean condition.

I agree with everyone else here... I would get a wideband. Just figured I would chime in and say that you can see which side of the spectrum you are on before being worried about what you are seeing.
    1998 Bright Green Metallic Trans Am LS1/M6, Cam/Intake/Exhaust, Full Suspension, 3.42 gears, 30 MPG highway and 397 RWHP on untouched heads, 12.47@115 mph.... needs gears!
    2011 Victory Red Silverado 1500 Z71 LC9 5.3/A6, Z71 appearance package, factory 18's, e85 warrior
    Owner of Mickelson Performance, offering affordable LTX Tunes - mickelsonperformance@yahoo.com - www.facebook.com/mickelsonperformance

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    timo pajala
    Vehicle
    1967 camaro

well i have the datac cable now and gonna record few data sessions and send them to the tuner and he will tune it properly etc. good write about the mv thing, didnt know that one but i think the tuner knows that also. Im gonna post the news as soon as the tuner gives me more info and so on.

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Vehicle
    1998 Trans Am

We are all here to help everyone learn! I try to learn something new every day.
    1998 Bright Green Metallic Trans Am LS1/M6, Cam/Intake/Exhaust, Full Suspension, 3.42 gears, 30 MPG highway and 397 RWHP on untouched heads, 12.47@115 mph.... needs gears!
    2011 Victory Red Silverado 1500 Z71 LC9 5.3/A6, Z71 appearance package, factory 18's, e85 warrior
    Owner of Mickelson Performance, offering affordable LTX Tunes - mickelsonperformance@yahoo.com - www.facebook.com/mickelsonperformance

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    timo pajala
    Vehicle
    1967 camaro

We have tried to adjust the injector size several times and they are now at 23 i think and the injectors are 24lb. The car works ok, it just fluctuates the rps when cruising on low rps. When i whatch the rpm gauge it shoes 200-400rpm fluctuating. Is this still tuning issue or something else? I also have datamaster file on it from yesterday if someone knows how to read it? It only fluactuates when cruising between 1400-1800 after that theres no problems.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    timo pajala
    Vehicle
    1967 camaro

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    timo pajala
    Vehicle
    1967 camaro

i found a small fuel leak from my incoming line and also a vacuum leak so im gonna take new logs from my car. Also this could explain my huge gas consumption... like 220mails per 60l of gas and almost all of that was highway driving.
    Last edited by timopajala; 08-09-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12