Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Thread: Aux upgrade

Default Aux upgrade

Has anybody seen this? Looks like a good idea if you don't want to replace the factory stereo, which is my case as I don't want to leave the controls on the steering wheel deactivated. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-radi...d045c9&vxp=mtr

96 Formula (LT1/4L60e: LTs, CAI, 3.42 gears, 160 stat, cat delete, poly mounts and 2800 stall..)

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Nice.... i wish i still had the stock head unit for my 94 ta for the same reason. Maybe ill start lookin for one... and one of these.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    jon
    Vehicle
    95 trans am

I just did it tonight on mine.. Ive had the part a while but just not got around to it... i didnt watch your video.. i followed the instructions in a diy by jason on ls1tech. http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-ele...t-adapter.html

Mines a 95, but it appears by the date on the radio it has a 97 radio in it. it has a ribbon cable, i was able to cut it with a razor in splice it in.

its actually really simple, you ust need a left a right and a ground, but if you use the five pin connector it acts a switch so you can still use your cd player.

just make sure you put your plug somewhere you can access it, i didnt leave my wires long enough, and installed it into the back of the radio for now so my cd player doesnt work but i dont use it anyway.

I spent a lot of time reading about this, and looking at the wiring diagram for the cd changer, i wanted to just wire into the cd changer input but i can't figure out what would activate it.

anyways, good luck, its not really hard at all, take your time, use flux when you solder it makes things so much easier.. if you have any questions ask, i'm subscribed.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    josh
    Vehicle
    97 ss camaro

Do you happen to know if this will work or if there is a way to do the same thing to my 97ss with the factory radio? It has a CD changer also.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    jon
    Vehicle
    95 trans am

Shouldn't be any problem. Take a look at that link I posted, the wiring should be the same as on there, but I bet yours has a ribbon cable like mine.

Look at the wires and find the ones going from the CD player to the board, you want wires one and three on the left hand side ( please see link. I can post pictures later if necessary.) I unplugged the ribbon, then carefully separated wire one and three with a razor. I separated them about mid ways up the ribbon, so both plugs stay in tact. Then once I had those partially separated I just cut them in half, burnt the plastic off and twisted some small wire to them, soldered it and heat shrinked it. I ran my ground to the radio casing. Hope that's clear enough, it took me weeks to understand that other thread haha

Edit: my bulb was also burnt out on my radio, couldn't find a replacement lovally so I just dropped a 194 in and soldered it in. Works beautiful. Hopefully its not too hot.
    Last edited by zoomo; 03-02-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    josh
    Vehicle
    97 ss camaro

Cool thanks as soon as it warms up outside I will give it a try

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Tyler Sandy
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am GT

Does this work with casette head units?

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    jon
    Vehicle
    95 trans am

It will. The only question will be which wires to use.The poster on the other site mentioned using an old set of head phones to find the wires the first time.

The wires may be the same as a cd player.