Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wide Body

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Default The Wide Body

Yeah, boring rainy day, what else to do but search the internet for ideas and ways to spend money..

The Wide-Body 4th gen has been talked about endlessly, many discussions usually end, without an answer or just die as no one actually gets it done.

With that in mind, there are a few ways a wide body can be done. Fiberglass, Sheet metal or the simplest using/modifying existing flares.

The process you choice to fabricate with, will in some cases dictate what "look" you are able to achieve.

I prefer sheet metal, essentially the same process as chopping a top but in reverse. Where as, you simply cut out the rear quarter and move it out to the width you desire and fill in the open gaps with additional sheet metal... Results are incredible, but require skill as it is not easily done. If you know someone who has done it in this manner, I would love to see pics of the process. The Famous Sunoco car was supposedly sheet metal.. i dunno for sure though. This is the "look" I prefer at least for now.
    2003HeritageCamaro27.jpg

The Dick Harrell Cars (GMMG) were not metal, but plastic pieces that were formed from a mold, and attached to the rear quarter. The front fenders/Front number/Rear Bumper were simply new pieces. In the photos here, you can see what GMMG did. All the pieces in black is what GMMG attached/changed.

009.jpg004.jpg

Fiberglass is another approach using what I call the "Fast and Furious" techniques. Either using clay or expanding foam directly on the car to shape it, then smoothing it and creating a mold from it. the rest obvious in attaching it to the panel.

Another, less looked at way of getting a wide body, is the use of flares. It can be cheesy, but if done right, can look aggressive. Here is an example of an Autox Camaro with Maier Racing flares.
    2jesusvillarreal.jpg1jesusvillarreal.jpg

No one makes flares specifically for the 4th gen camaro, at least that I can find. In this case they used 69 Mustang flares and adapted them to the car.
    In my opinion with some addition fiberglass work, that this could look real nice. More importantly can be done easy and rather quickly...

Well as always, thoughts, complaints and arguments welcome...
    97 SS Camaro M6 - 383 LT1, Scat Rotating assembly, KB Icon flattops (11.8:1), HBR ported heads, LE 244/252@.050 107 LSA, Speed engineering Stainless Longtubes/ORY, 42.5# sprayers, Racetronix Pump, more to come
    05 Hummer H2 - Bone stock save the rims and tires,,, for now

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    95albinobird
    Vehicle
    95 firehawk tribute

that sunoco #6 car is BAD ASS
    Last edited by 95albinobird; 01-11-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

That last one with the mustang flares looks the best imho
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

I agree the sunoco car is BAD ASS... But given my limited space (car port) I was thinking/leaning towards the Flares. At least it will allow me to be able to run the tire combination, until I have a location better suited for fabrication.... That is of course if I did not like the flares in the end.... Still debating it....

TubbyFormy- I was thinking the same thing,,, ya know a little work here and there... could look nice.
    97 SS Camaro M6 - 383 LT1, Scat Rotating assembly, KB Icon flattops (11.8:1), HBR ported heads, LE 244/252@.050 107 LSA, Speed engineering Stainless Longtubes/ORY, 42.5# sprayers, Racetronix Pump, more to come

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

I'm with Shaun; the black Camaro looks beast. The sunoco flares remind me of a dually.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Thanks sahara54 - I now will never look at that form of wide body again with out thinking of a dually! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

One guys car, that I wish was widebody, is Larry petruccis firebird OR trans am. His cars makes me want to buy my bird back and autocross it hard. @Sahara54 @popo8 you guys should use urs for some autocross

Sorry OP for hijack. like I said before the last pic I think would be best. I miss my bird now, I had all the suspension goodies on it to turn like hell, should've never sold it.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Maybe some day... different project goin on now.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Not hijacking , just adding to the conversation... No worries... The birds at the least appear to be mini tubed. I agree, I will be doing the flare approach...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

That white formy looks right. I have a set of eibach's sitting on the shelf I was thinking about slapping on the Formy. Btw the birds can hold a lot more tire than Camaros and they hold 315's with the BFH mod.
    Last edited by Sahara54; 01-12-2015 at 12:07 AM.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast