Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Colton Waggoner
    Vehicle
    1995 DCM Impala SS (Nightmare)

Default Which shift kit?

Alright looking to see what shift kit is the best out there. Would be going into a stock 4L60E with a Yank SS 3600 until I can afford a transmission package from Frank to go with my NEXT build. I did some reading and the Trans Go kit is said to damage stuff, but people still love it. People also have loved the B&M shift kit too, and it doesn't "destroy" components. It is going into a 1995 Impala SS. Car will be raced and beat on. Looking for input to this, as I don't know much about transmissions.
    1995 DCM Impala SS
    "Nightmare"
    Follow my build thread!
    http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...tory-and-Build

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

The TG kit tears stuff up. They have absurd thoughts on accumulation and the way they have you modify the TCC regulator valve causes converter damage. A "double shift" is also a common complaint of the TG kit. Unfortunately there aren't really any good packaged shift kits for the 4L60E. None of them correct all the issues, and many of them go about "fixing" them incorrectly. The only one that is close to being useable is the Superior (Shift Technologies) kit
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Colton Waggoner
    Vehicle
    1995 DCM Impala SS (Nightmare)

Default Which shift kit?

@Cahall would a tune to change the shift points be the better option than even getting a shift kit at all?
    1995 DCM Impala SS
    "Nightmare"
    Follow my build thread!
    http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...tory-and-Build

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

Changing shift points through the PCM is fine, but raising pressure through the PCM isn't. The pressure control solenoid works off a 12 volt reference. If the trans loses voltage for any reason, the solenoid defaults to max pressure. Raising pressure through the PCM really only reduces the voltage to the solenoid. The problem with throwing a "blanket pressure increase" in a 4l60E is that it will usually damage parts. The most common failure in the early 4L60Es is the aluminum forward piston. The higher pressure causes them to crack. We do internal pressure modifications to raise the pressure where and when the trans actually needs it, instead of raising it across the board like raising it through the PCM does.
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPT For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Go figure, that double shift is what my bird did, I just got ahold of the guy that had the 94 the trans came from, and he said he thinks it had a tg kit
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!