Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    Robert Bryant
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

I tested all the solenoids except the PCS, will have to dig up a 9V battery for that one, but I did check the resistance between the PCM pins that go to it (no direct 12V from pin E, only gets signal from PCM).

The 3-2 is the newest solenoid since I replaced it back in 2011 when I first encountered the issues. The PWM solenoid click doesn't sound nearly as stout as the 3-2. They are 2 different manufacturers, the PWM has been in there since before I got the car.

Here's the kicker- the TCC solenoid (built into the harness) does NOT click for me. I can't find a definitive answer as to whether it SHOULD make an audible click, but I'd at least think so. I tested 1-2, 2-3, 3-2, TCC, PWM with IGN239 circuit hot with PCM disconnected and used a small wire to ground the PCM connector pins at each solenoid's PCM location. To eliminate the engine harness I went through the case connector on pins E and T straight off the battery. Again, the TCC solenoid does NOT click. Its resistance is still at 24 ohms after this testing through PCM connectors and direct to battery.

Frank must be on vacation, had hoped to hear from him.
    "Doc Opticus" '94 Formula M6 hardtop: 377RWHP, 371RWTQ My 93-94 Opti mod: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt...-94-folks.html

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Robert Bryant
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

I picked up a new harness with TCC solenoid. BWD S9844. Has Delphi printed on it in a couple places. Same manufacturer overseas makes a bunch of Delphi stuff these days, all the same. I tested the new harness the same way as the old one and this time I got a nice loud click from the TCC solenoid. Got the car all back together, just have to fill up the fluid and let it rip and scan for codes. It's too loud to fire up after 9PM in my neighborhood. Answers tomorrow. If it's fixed I'll learn to dance a jig, lol.
    "Doc Opticus" '94 Formula M6 hardtop: 377RWHP, 371RWTQ My 93-94 Opti mod: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt...-94-folks.html

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Robert Bryant
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

Default Resolved... probably

Tentatively going to say it's resolved. But not how it thought it would be.

Yes, the harness needed to be replaced due to the hidden issue with the TCC solenoid built into the harness. But that wasn't the cause of the code 84 3-2 downshift circuit problem that kept it in limp mode. I replaced the harness, buttoned it up, filled it up and crossed my fingers. I used GaryDoug's Scan9495 utility to monitor for trouble codes and the code 84 almost immediately popped back up. I'd clear it and it'd come right back in 2-3 seconds. Looking at the electrical faults tab in the program, it made me think from another direction when it said 'open circuit' on the 3-2 downshift solenoid circuit. I have a spare PCM...

The spare was from a 94 Z28 with 3.23s. So I threw it in and fired it up and scanned again. No codes, no circuit faults. The current PCM threw the code 84 under both 94 and 95 calibrations. I ran it for almost 20 minutes on the spare- no codes, no faults. Ok, so I can't use a 94 tune on a 95 trans. My 16210041 calibration ID on the PCM I've been using all along has the 95 code and some small mods for O2 relocation, etc., and has good data. Could the PCM internal circuit traces for the 3-2 circuit be damaged?

I set up my flash bench and uploaded the tune to the spare PCM with EEHACK. Threw it back in, crossed my fingers and... no codes. took it for a run around the block. Amazing to feel first gear in D at normal line pressure. I'll take it for a longer drive later and see how it goes. But it's never run for more than a few seconds before throwing the code 84 and now I've had 2 run cycles of nearly 25 minutes with no DTCs. I never considered the PCM might be at fault.

The mail order tune I got in 2010 was useless garbage and the reflash was good money after bad but it put me on the track of finding the hidden TCC solenoid problem and I learned more about the 4L60E. Way more than I wanted to actually, but it was good to learn.
    Last edited by Gojira94; 09-23-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Good to hear that you made so much progress, persistence pays off.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Robert Bryant
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by superspirit View Post
    Good to hear that you made so much progress, persistence pays off.
    Thanks! I drove it for about 1/2 hour at sunset around the rural roads where I live and it really rips now, despite the 2.73:1 rear. I would have liked to put the 3.42 from my M6 in it with a ring spacer to see how that would feel with the corresponding shift points. 3.23 A4s are pretty quick, thought 3.42s with an A4 would be interesting. Sorry to say I'm selling it and dividing the proceeds between my 94 M6 upkeep and a 92 C1500 400HP TBI project. Neither of my step daughters are interested in it. They're more in love with the phone integration gadgetry of my wife's 2017 Subaru Forester. ~sigh~
    Last edited by Gojira94; 09-25-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123