Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    GJGARRE
    Vehicle
    1995 Z28

Default First Experience With Impala SS

Searching through this site reminded me of the first time I ever paid attention to an Impala SS. It was probably 15 years ago, I was driving into work, it was my day off, but I was meeting people there. I was driving my 1991 5.0 convertible. I stopped at a red light, and an Impala SS pulled up in the lane next to me. When the light turned green, we both gunned it. Little did we know there was an older gentleman on a Ninja right behind me that wanted to show off. When we took off, he squeezed in between the Impala and my Mustang and then pulled into my lane which was on the outside. The road began to turn and go down hill, and he was going faster than his skills would allow. He wound up going too far to the outside, hitting some pea gravel, and laying down his bike and sliding about 100 yards down a concrete drainage ditch and coming to a rest after hitting a street sign. I slammed on my brakes and pulled over and called 911, the Impala stopped further down the road. After the police got there, they closed off the road, and had air care land a helicopter right in the middle of the highway. The guy was bleeding, but was conscious. I stayed and filled out a police report, and helped collect the guys belongings that got thrown out along the road. I was shaking the whole time thinking somebody would say we were racing. As far as I know he was fine, he had a helmet on, just looked like he had some serious road rash. At the time my Mustang had plates on it that said SS KILLR that I got to annoy a buddy who had an SS Camaro, but my car was not fast. It was basically stock with Flowmasters and 2.73 gears and an automatic. I was surprised by the Impala SS though. I never knew how fast they were.

Sorry not a happy story, but whenever I see an Impala SS, this is what it reminds me of.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

A memory is a memory man... thanku for sharin. We do have a bunch of Imps here.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    GJGARRE
    Vehicle
    1995 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    A memory is a memory man... thanku for sharin. We do have a bunch of Imps here.
    I actually forgot all about it until joining this site. I have respected Impala SS' ever since. If I ever come across a good deal on one I'd be persuaded to buy one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gjgarre For This Post:

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    95albinobird
    Vehicle
    95 firehawk tribute

cool.....all i took form that story was you are willing to admit your mistakes like owning a ford and thinking you had a chance against that imp
    seriously though at least the dude on the bike was okay sounds like his pride took the brunt of it..thanks for sharing
    that being said i'm a otr driver i have put over 500k on my truck in 48 states in less than 5 years up and down mountains in snow and ice day and night on unfamiliar roads with 40 tons most of the time and it take's most people 34 years to drive that amount,let alone in those adverse conditions.so sometimes i sound like a asshole being so anti street racing,i have a ZERO TOLARANCE for drunk driving and most people in car's are assholes when they drive around trucks.i have seen most of it you never have seen it all

just throwing this out there DON'T cut in front of them most have forward looking radar and will apply the brakes without the driver you could make them j-knife and the person that get's killed could be someone you care about.80000 ton's don't stop on a dime a car will always loose the fight u could win in court but what's the point when if people just drove defensively everyones day would be less stressful.there is not 1 thing you have that was not brought to you on a truck.think about it if it was not for truck drivers you would be naked,hungry and homeless.every part of your house came in on a truck unless you built a log cabin and i would argue that the axe was on a truck.....
    last night a dude merging from a rest area didn't merge correctly i put his ass in the zipper lane he hit his brakes got behind me and hit his high beams...my trailer doors are polished stainless so he blinded himself LOL what a dick head then he pulled along side me while he held up traffic like 10 cars.my truck is governed at 62 we were in a 70 zone he actually took the time to open his sunroof and stick his arm out and .
    WHAT!!! if he took that time to merge like he should have the 10 car's he held up would have been much happier.he stayed there for over a min honking his horn with his hand there.....flipping me off.
    lesson 1 you all should know we will call it merging
    when entering a highway or interstate or any roadway that has a ramp provided for you just because there is not a sign that say's YIELD don't mean you don't have to if you read your drivers manual it will tell you that traffic on the roadway is not supposed to slow down speed up or move over to let you on that if you are on a ramp you must "merge" with the road you are entering that may even mean stopping where there is no stop sign.
    there is only 1 state that requires highway traffic to yield right of way.....anyone know what 1?????
    please someone answer that!
    Last edited by 95albinobird; 08-25-2014 at 09:14 AM.

InActive Member

Status

Love my 1996 Impala SS. Have raced it since 1999. But am ready to let her go. Bad car wreck and ready to stop racing.
    1996 Impala SS LT1 385 AI H/C/I
    2012 Extreme Street PA Winner 10.09@132
    9.91@135 1.37 60ft 200 shot N2O @4200 LBS
    REST IN PEACE RITA BROWN. I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 1960-2010