Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: Camshaft

Default Camshaft

93 lt1 camaro
    Got a 93 camaro with boltons and tune I want to install a cam but not sure what to get. Im going to use the stock heads. Can anyone help me out

I ran 13.20 with nitto drags

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

hotcam
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

CC503 is alil hotter than the hotcam and about the max you can go on stock heads.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

Cool thanks im going to do some research on it just need to find someone to tune it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to red4thgen For This Post:

Founding Member

Status
    Name
    Jay
    Vehicle
    93 Ultra Z

I love my lpe "baby" cam in my 93. It made 345 rwhp on a stock motor with long tubes and 1.6 roller rockers. Torque was 350 and came in at 1800 RPM to redline. I went 12.87@107.1 on street tires. I have a tune for it with 26 lb injectors.

LTXTech Sponsor

Status

best cam depends on alot of things like

auto or 6 speed?

if auto, what stall?

what gear in rear end?

need to pass emissions "sniff test"?

Ok with a choppy idle?

what springs do you have or willing to buy?

how many miles do these springs need to live before replacing (10K miles, 25K miles, 50K miles, 100K miles, etc)?

LTXTech Sponsor

Status

for the most part, if auto with 2.73 gears and no stall, stay below 220 intake duration (211-219 up to 219/227 duration).

if 6 speed and you want to be able to cruise at 1300 RPM in 6th gear with no bucking/surging, stay below 220 intake duration.

If you have an auto with a 2400 (or higher) stall or 6 speed and OK with cruising at 1500 RPM or higher to keep it from bucking and surging you can go UP TO a low/mid 220 intake duration on a 112 LSA cam and still pass emissions (224/230, etc).

If willing to get a better stall and 3.42/3.73 gearts with auto or 6 speed with gears, you can go a lil larger and on a tighter LSA and make even more power up top.

As far as the lift on the cam, it depends on what springs you have or are willingt to buy and how long you need them to live. The difference in a $110 Alex spring kit to a $180 set of dbl springs to a $250 dbl spring kit will make a big difference in how much lift and what ramp speed you can use with each spring as well as how long each spring will live on certain lobes.

Most people that daily drive their car and trying to decide between 2 similar cams will usually be happier with the lower duration cam that comes in a lil sooner and make more low/mid range power as oppoised to the cam that has a lil more top end power but sacrifices low end power. The milder the gears and stall, the more important this is since the engine will be in this lower RPM longer getting the car going. Just picture a 10 speed bike stuck in 10th gear and how important those first cpl of pushes on the pedal are to get the bike moving. The heavier the car, the less gear, less stall and taller rear tires are, the more this effects things.

Lloyd

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NightTrain66 For This Post:

In really enjoyed my 503.
    I think it was a great all around cam.
    I currently have the 847 with ported stock heads. It's a cam that defiantly needs more in the motor and needs rpm to make power.
    Like most people sometimes I feel i should have stuck with the 503.