Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Default Taller sidewalk vs wider tire

I've posted this on some other forums and I'm trying to get as much feedback as I can

So is it better to have let say a Mickey Thompson 305/35/19 or 305/35/18 vs a 295/45/17? Does it depend on personal preference due to front and rear wheel combos or is one combo better than the other for a certain power range. I'm only curious because I recently bought a set of rear welds with 295/45/17 but I also bought an extra set of rear sedan wheels with the plan on putting Mickey Thompson 305/35/19 on them. I have contemplating running the 19" spyders up front with 18" spyders in the back for a consistent look so I don't have to change out for the track. So under the same conditions, how much do these three combos differ? BTW. This is not my Daily Driver if that matters at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Herbie216 For This Post:

Taller sidewall will be easier to launch off the line, but you sacrifice some riding stability if they are soft tires during turns.

Either way, hooking up on 18/19s will be very tough.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

So which is better for 18's?

Like 305/30/18 or like 265/35/18 (made these tire sizes up for examples)

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    What kind of HP are you running?

A 305/35-19 is a 27.9" tire (4.45" sidewall)... sure is gonna fill up the rear wheel well, just like the 28" QTP's in my signature photo. What rear are you running? If you are running 3.73's for example, going from the stock ~26" diameter tire to a ~28" tire will make it feel like you dropped the rear axle ratio to a 3.46 (if such a ratio existed). If you currently have 3.42's for example, it will feel like you dropped to a 3.18

305/35-18 (26.4" - 4.20" sidewall) is much closer to the stock tire size, and will not slow down the car as much based on the apparent change in rear axle ratio. But you just gave up a lot of sidewall.

295/45-17 (27.2" - 5.10" sidewall) is probably the best compromise, since it's got the best sidewall, and only gives up a part of the effective rear axle ratio that you gave up with the 19" wheels.

There's a reason 15" drag tires are widely used. You have to decide whether you are going for appearance with huge wheels and miniscule sidewalls, or going to be a serious racer. Maybe a spare set of light weight 15" rear wheels is the way to go.
    I've got an 09 ctsv. Not sure what the gear ratio is. 540 ish rwhp. I want to run the 295/45/17 during race season and my stock 305/35/19 off season. Just wonder ing if I kept the stock wheels and added 305/35/19 mickey Thompsons(which I would never have to change the tires out for the track) would make that much of a difference than the 295/45/17 with weld wheels that I recently bought. I've only been to the track once with the 17" setup. It hooked like a mofo. The only other time was with stock tires which I don't even count because it seemed like it spun the tires forever. I just really want to know how much of a difference these setups make for 60 ft and ET. I guess I won't really know unless I buy son MT 19" for my stock wheel and find out. Thanks for the feedback. It seems like the consensus is the 19" would be more for appearance and they would hook better compared to stock but the 17" set up is probably the ideal setup format I want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

And you posted on a 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird specific engine site? Would have been nice if you told us up front that you didn't own one of the vehicles that this site specializes in.

I'll delete my comments... they are very useless given the car you are driving. I have no knowledge of the CTS-V.

Wow. Totally inconsiderate.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Sorry. I thought a tire was a tire no matter what car it was on regardless of weight or gear ratio

Using Tapatalk

I posted the question on this site because u guys r very knowledgeable when it comes to stuff like this. I meant no disrespect.

Using Tapatalk

CTSV, Mustang, Fbody - all the same when talking rear drag tires. I pull 1.5 60's with front wheels 2 feet in the air with my MT 295-45-17s and they handle great on the street. Launch is all about suspension setup.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

^^^ And which do U race/DD/give advice on? Lots of sites specific to your preferences. The very reason for signatures is so members can respond knowledgeably, if they so choose. Injuneer & lots of others aren't down for giving advice & finding out they're bein' played a fool...so to speak...on this site or any others. Injuneer has been a member on another site for about a decade, & I for only a few years on that site as well. Not beating up on ya but DO CREATE A SIGNATURE...where ever u go !!! And how can "CTSV, Mustang, Fbody - all the same..."...WTH sir?
    Last edited by Ardent_Z28; 10-06-2014 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Add
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.
    '94 Z28 Arctic White, T-tops, retired.