Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Lurker

Status

Default F.G.'s Corvette modernization/restoration thread

As some of you may know, I own a 92 Corvette. The car needs some minor restoration, which is mostly cosmetic to get it back into shape. As I do this, I will also modernize whatever can be modernized to bring it into the 21st century. Keep in mind that this project will take time, and updates will be done to it as time and money allow. I also have a DD Firebird and an F150 that need regular maintenance. However, the main focus will be on the Corvette.

When I bought it, it was bone stock and in good condition minus a little paint fade.

First ever dyno run when it was stock. Made 247 rwhp and 295 rwtq.

Over the years I did the typical bolt ons, along with a built trans with 3200 stall. This is pretty much how it looks like. Its still a good strong car, but the paint is a 10 footer and the car has typical old car problems.

The past year and a half or so, I went through a bit of depression. The car was not neglected, but I didn't really do anything to the car other than regular maintenance. I drove the car regularly but did not go to car events like I used to. I was still enthusiastic about cars, but I was not as involved as I used to.

Slowly, things started getting better In my life and one day I decided to go to a weekly cruise in that was in its infancy. There I got back into the car scene as one of the first that went to that cruise and one of the die hards that is there every week rain or shine.

I met many great friends there whom, along with their cars, gave me the itch to get my car back in shape.

Last edited by F.G.; 06-01-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    1992 Corvette A4: Long Tubes, duals with circle track mufflers, cut lid, 17x9.5/17x11 deep dish ZR1's on 275 Nitto 555 front, 315 Nitto 555 rears, Performabuilt level 2 700R4 w/ FTI 3200 Stall, PCM For Less tune, C5 Brake Swap, more to come....

Lurker

Status

Just as I was getting back into the car scene, my steering column broke, the key would not turn. At first, I thought the ignition cylinder was at fault, so I replaced that.

It still wouldn't work, so I was able to get ahold of a used steering column from a 94. A mechanic friend of mine helped me swap columns, and that did the trick.

Over the years, my shocks got so worn out, that the car would actually bounce a little on the highway. Of course, not wanting to leave things stock, I went with Bilsteins with Z51 valving to go on my base suspension. The car is now stiffer, more stable, and corners a lot flatter.

My tires were also pretty worn, hard, and dry-rotted, so I decided to replace them. This time around, I went with Nitto 555 in 275 front and 315 rear. I wanted a tire that would still give me good dry traction, but would last longer, and be safer in the rain. I'm also trying to get the car to be more road trip friendly, as that's what I want to do with the car this year.

Getting the tires installed

Rear shot

Just wanted to show off my C5 brake swap I did a couple years ago. Great improvement!

I cleaned my engine bay after over a year of not touching it. It took a good 3 hours, but the result was well worth it. I got many compliments when I entered my first car show in the past two years.

The past two summers I had been living with no A/C in the car. 100+ degree weather here in Texas is no fun, and the girlfriend in particular did not even want to get in the car.

I was able to find a used, low mile compressor for 70 bucks, and decided to take a gamble on it. Everything else was bought new. I was planning on installing everything myself, but my mechanic friend offered to install it for $50 so I said why not.

As you can see, this compressor is black instead of natural aluminum. I wasn't too sure about it, but I like it now, and I plan on powdercoating the alternator to match.

Last Friday, I decided to run errands in the car and I was very happy to have working A/C since it was the first day of the year that the temperature got to 100 degrees.

Unfortunatley, my starter heat soaked and would not start the car. I've been dealing with this problem ever since I installed the longtubes two years ago. Anyway, I let the car cool for about 40 minutes, and it finally started. I got home and tried to move the car, but this time it was so hot out, that the car would not start for an hour and a half.

I dealt with this all of last summer, and I really do not want to deal with it this year, so I bit the bullet and ordered myself a Powermaster 9502 mini starter. From the research Ive done, this starter is supposed to fix the heat soak problem.

This is where Im at now. I'm just waiting on the starter to get here and I hope to have the car ready by the 11th since me and the girlfriend plan on taking a small roadtrip in the vette for the first time.

The near future plans (no particular order) are:
    1. Powermaster starter
    2. Fix/replace my trans temp gauge
    3. HID headlights/fogs
    4. Convert to LED exterior/interior lighting
    5. Weatherstripping
    6. update the interior
    7. update the sound system
    8. hydrodip some underhood components such as frc's
    9. Lower the car
    10.Fix the right rear tail pipe hanger

Longer term plans:
    1. LE2 or Ai topend or full build (depends on condition of engine when I get to it)
    2. Lower gears
    3. Full Z51 suspension
    4. Toledo Pro cowl hood
    5. Paint
    1992 Corvette A4: Long Tubes, duals with circle track mufflers, cut lid, 17x9.5/17x11 deep dish ZR1's on 275 Nitto 555 front, 315 Nitto 555 rears, Performabuilt level 2 700R4 w/ FTI 3200 Stall, PCM For Less tune, C5 Brake Swap, more to come....

Lurker

Status

I forgot to ask if installing a starter blanket on the new starter will be beneficial, or if it will just trap more heat inside?

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Hey man...GREAT START to the write up!

I Never saw a starter blanket...but on my camaro...i wrapped the starter in header wrap and it worked GREAT!!!

LTXtech.com is my Drug...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status

Thank you popo. The starter blanket is pretty much like header wrap, I'll give it a try. On another note, today on my way to get my pre employment medical results, my A/C stopped working. The clutch is not engaging. On top of that, my starter is yet again heat soaked. I've been stuck here for almost an hour and I'm thirty miles from home. I'm not driving this car until my new starter comes in.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Gotta love the Corvette. My dream was to buy a 93 40th Anniversary Edition, but it never worked out. I'm coming up on my 25th year as a founding member of the National Corvette Museum, but I've never owned one.

Good luck with your project.... it's one I'm going to watch very closely.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status

Thank you for the compliments, I almost bought a 6 speed 40th before this one. That's cool that you're a founding member, hopefully one day you get your dream car.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
    Thank you popo. The starter blanket is pretty much like header wrap, I'll give it a try. On another note, today on my way to get my pre employment medical results, my A/C stopped working. The clutch is not engaging. On top of that, my starter is yet again heat soaked. I've been stuck here for almost an hour and I'm thirty miles from home. I'm not driving this car until my new starter comes in.
    My pleasure man, and that sucks... I hope you get it straightened out and fun to drive again. Even my lil l98 c4 is a blast to drive...drove it today actually. NO AC. lol

BTW, if you use the header wrap...wet it, and wrap it tight, use large zip-ties to attach it, as it dries, it will tighten.

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

Lurker

Status

Thanks for the tip popo.

So after waiting almost two hours, the car started. I got it home and checked the AC. The compressor is not noisy so I think that's good. Just the clutch is not engaging, and the car just blows hot air through the vents with the AC on. My mechanic friend is going to check it out later today. I think I need a new clutch. Does anyone think my suspicion is correct?

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

I think they also have a safety feature that if it loses r12 or freon or whatever, they will not cycle.... I THINK...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast