Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Default Correct AC system pressure? (via scan9495 which is why i posted it here)

This is technically more of an AC question than a PCM/tuning question but since i used scan9495 and am looking for comparable results i posted it here.

Over the last couple months i've had AC issues stemming from a system rebuild about 2.5 years ago. The AC stopped working, i reset a code in the PCM using scan9495 and then got the AC working again. it stopped sometime later and it was apparent there was a leak. I had the car at 2 separate shops and one said it was the compressor and one said it was the line. the shop that said it was the line was the same shop that changed the compressor twice under warranty back in 2011 and 2012. The other shop actually thought the line was leaking but then attributed it to the compressor which is why i took it back to the original shop to see about a possible warranty since i was just outside the 2 years but well under (roughly 1/2) of the 24,000 miles. That shop said they were 100% positive that the line was leaking and not the comp. i actually got the 2 shops on the phone together (which i guess was a bad idea looking back according to a friend of mine) but i was just trying to get the car fixed with the least out of pocket and headache as possible. The shop the car was at during all this, the original shop that rebuilt the system ended up saying they were so sure they were right and it was the line that they agreed to warranty the compressor if i changed the line and the problem persisted. Well it's been 2 weeks and so far so good and i even took the car back yesterday to them since they wanted to get pressure readings on a hot day to make sure the system was right.

now here's my question.

I just hooked up scan9495 and am getting a constant pressure reading of 197.4 PSI and 53.5 degrees for the AC temp. the ambient temp outside is ~ 85 degrees (i live in southwest florida)

Do these numbers sound right? I'm assuming they are correct and am using them as a baseline because i plan to monitor the system periodically to make sure the pressure isn't dropping. I doubt a shop would do this, but the thought has crossed my mind. This shop that did the work i was told not to go back to (and only did because of the possible warranty on the compressor) by some friends and they said the shop could be sneaky. i couldn't see them topping off the AC system but then telling me it wasn't leaking but you never know. I just want to make sure they weren't BSing me on the AC leak and that there isn't a leak anymore. FWIW i added a 12 oz can at the time i put the AC system back on the second time which was ~ 6 weeks ago and when i had the leak fixed 2 weeks ago, it was almost down to the point where the system would have shut off again so the leak was a decent sized one.

My friend's friend who owns the shop that diagnosed the AC leak and said it was the compressor (and fixed a large oil leak i had) i guess doesn't want to work on the car anymore because i messed up and called him while at the other shop to have him tell the other guy it was the comp. he told me to go to them and see what they'd do since i told him up front there was a possibility of the compressor warranty. truth be told, if he would have stuck to his original diagnosis of the line, i would have had him change it and never gone back to the first shop. I hate situations where 1 shop says one thing is wrong and another shop says it's something different.

cliffs, had 2 shops say 2 different things were wrong with my AC. went with the one shop who agreed to cover the compressor if they were wrong about a leaking AC line. now i'm just trying to make sure my AC readings are correct at 197.4 PSI and 53.5 AC temp @ 85 ambient temp.
    Last edited by BLK95TA; 04-15-2014 at 12:03 PM.

1995 Black Trans Am LT1/4L60E 14.48@96mph
    Mods: 17" Corvette GS replicas, K&N panel, MSD wires, NGK iridium plugs, Ram Air box and hood 3.42 gears

well judging by a chart i just found on shbox, it looks like my numbers are right within the specs.

looks like for 80-90F I should be getting 150-235psi and 40-60 C evap assy temp displayed on tech 1 (which i assume is the sensor scan9495 is using for its temp reading) and i hooked a mechianical gauge up to the low pressure side and it was reading right around 30psi

Last edited by BLK95TA; 04-15-2014 at 12:20 PM.

1995 Black Trans Am LT1/4L60E 14.48@96mph
    Mods: 17" Corvette GS replicas, K&N panel, MSD wires, NGK iridium plugs, Ram Air box and hood 3.42 gears

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Gary
    Vehicle
    1998 Trans Am

This is how Scan9495 was verified for proper operation: The setup shown was fabricated to simulate the pcm operation in a real 94 Formula as realistically as practical. Each sensor was simulated in some way. For the A/C sensors, simple potentiometers were used to provide the variable voltages that might be output from real-world sensors. Several readings within the range of each sensor were obtained with the Scan9495 app. Each of those were compared with the ones from a known-good Tech2 scantool. If the readings did not match, corrective action was performed until they did.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Default Correct AC system pressure? (via scan9495 which is why i posted it here)

Nvm
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 04-20-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

What do you mean non condensibles in the system?

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Last edited by SSlowBoat; 04-20-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

The shop did evac the system when they did the line. According to that chart my pressure readings are right where they should be based on outside air temp and humidity. I just didn't know about that chart before i posted the question.