Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    eric mitchell
    Vehicle
    1997 ws6 Trans Am

Default 1997 WS6 Trans Am Rear End Issue

I have a 1997 Trans Am ws6 and I get a squeaking noise from the drivers side rear tire when I make a sharp right turn. It sounds like a break indicator, but I have changed the brakes and rotors, this is when the noise started. Has anyone had this issue? I have done some research and the possibilities I have found could be a bent axle causing the caliper to rub, but I also have come across something that says the rotor and axle rub because the shims might be bad. I would appreciate any help with this issue.

P.S. I have had the rear end rebuilt as well and it does not sound like a bad bearing because there is no growling noise or anything like that, just a slight squeak when I turn sharp right and give it gas. If I am not hard on the throttle when turning it is fine.

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

With the symptoms you described, I would be looking at bushings and bolts first to make sure everything there was up to snuff and/or not interfering. Without being able to hear the car in person, that sounds like a suspension noise to me rather than an axle noise.
    "Only in the Corps can you put three guys in a room with an anvil and a rubber mallet, come back 15 min later, and the anvil is broken, the rubber mallet is missing, and nobody saw a damned thing!"

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    95albinobird
    Vehicle
    95 firehawk tribute

stock bushings or poly?

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Sounds like the problem described at the top of this page:

http://www.f-body.org/faq/4/4_5.htm#ch4_5q

Q: What's that metal squealing noise from the rear on high speed turns?

A: Assuming that you haven't completely run a brake pad down the metal plate, this noise can come from C-clip axle end play. This moves the rotor closer and father away from the caliper mount. When the edge of the rotor touches the caliper mount, you will hear the noise - usually only when turning in one direction (i.e. rotor moves out enough to hit in only one direction). The Caliper mount can be relieved in the area that it touches or the caliper mount can be shimmed. Keep in mind, if this was not a problem, GM would not have shims. In the 1994 service manual, information on this can be found under "Brake Caliper Alignment" in section 4B - page 27 (4B-27), entitled: "Rear axle assembly with rear disc brakes" (figures 1 through 4 and 38). There is however a Technical Service Bulletin (#474201A) for this.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post: