Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Thread: LT1 carb intake

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28

Default LT1 carb intake

Has anyone converted a sbc intake with heat exchangers. If so how did you block them off so it will seal against the heads. I was thinking filling it with spray foam then jb weld it and sand smooth. Do you think that would work.
    [SIGPIC]

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

By heat exchangers do you mean egr?
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28

No its in the middle of a toker 2 intake non egr
    [SIGPIC]

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Ah I see what you're talking about now, that is the same port where the egr gasses would come from if it was an egr intake. If that port doesn't actually open into the intake I wouldn't worry about it. If it does, your going to want to modify it in a way that will not come loose and be ingested into the engine.
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Isn't that an exhaust crossover passage to heat the bottom of the carb and reduce emissions on cold start, and prevent icing in cold weather? "Back in the day", the SBC had a heat riser valve on one side of the exhaust, operated by a thermal spring and a weight that opened the valve as the engine warmed up. When the engine was cold, the valve was closed, forcing the exhaust from one side of the engine to the other side, through the intake manfold. As the engine heated up and the valve opened up the flow through the passage was reduced (but not totally eliminated).

First thing anyone with an interest in performance did was block the passages to keep the manifold cooler. I thought the passage was already blocked on the Torker II intake. If it isn't blocked, use a gasket without the opening for the passage. I think you may be able to get steel reinforcements to strengthen the gasket in that area.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1968 SS Camaro 396LT1

The gm lt1 carb intake has no heat passage in it.
    68 Mechanical Alcohol Injected LT1.

Back in the old days we used to pack the manifold with alunimum foil to block that heat passage.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Pete Birrell
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS LT1

I bought a '95 Vette engine that had been converted to a Victor Jr and put in a car with TBI. It didn't have exhaust crossover passages. it was blocked. However the end LT1 intake holes were welded up and re-drilled and threaded at a different angle to match the old style sbc. I already had a GM Performance Parts official LT1 carb intake. The Victor Jr. thermostat water neck looked clunky. To convert back, the GM intake holes wouldn't work with the re-machined holes. I made up some short 3/8" studs with smaller 5/16 studs welded at an angle to accept the regular GM intake holes without major butcher work. Moto of the story is that the LT1 end holes don't work well with a regular sbc intake without some work. The regular thermostat housing and temp sensor holes look like unfinished business.

Pete

303_4128.jpg