Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

Default Transmission cooler tech

There seems to be quite a bit of differing thoughts and opinions about external (auxiliary) transmission coolers. What type, how to run them, and where to place them. Many years ago we did some comprehensive testing of external coolers to answer all the questions. These tests were initiated by a Grand National we had in the shop that kept overheating the fluid and blowing it out the vent. The first step was to make certain that it wasn't any type of internal trans pressure leak, so we actually swapped the whole transmission, but still had the same exact issue. Next, we installed a large "tube and fin" external cooler. The problem was still there. We then installed 2 external coolers, ran in series. The problem was still there. At that point, we decided to install temp gauges on the in and out cooler lines. What we found was disturbing. The fluid coming out of the cooler (s) was hotter than the fluid going in. The series of tests proved that only using one cooler didn't heat the fluid as much, and that running through the factory radiator provided substantially better cooling.
    After spending a week, trying to figure this out, we were directed in the direction of a "stacked plate" cooler that was actually smaller than the first "tube and fin" cooler. The "stacked plate" cooler fixed the car, and actually cooled the fluid. We knew that effect, but were puzzled by the cause. Some research (and some common sense) led us to the reason. Think about a "tube and fin" design. It's basically a tube that has a series of 180 degree bends that run through series of fins. Now, think about fluid dynamics. Everytime fluid is asked to change direction rapidly, it produces more pressure. Pressure generates heat. This also explains why using a larger or double "tube and fin" style cooler generates even more heat.
    As stated, the test also confirmed that running your cooler lines through your factory in radiator cooler first, provides better cooling. We have confirmed this countless times since . A "stand alone" cooler just isn't adequate to keep the fluid cool enough on a street driven car. I've proven this theory to many customers, via the use of a n infrared heat gun.
    Cooler placement is also critical. We've seen people who place them in places "where air can pass through them while driving". The only time you can mount a cooler anywhere other than directly in front of the radiator/condenser is if you're using a dedicated electric fan. When a cooler is mounted directly in front of the radiator/condenser, it uses your stock fan (s) to pull air through the cooler while the car isn't moving. In a normally operating transmission, the torque converter produces the largest majority of the heat. It produces the most heat while it is stalling (slipping). The converter is stalling the most when the car is sitting still.
    Testing an experience has led us to the conclusion that the Tru-Cool 4490 cooler (11"x12"x3/4"), ran in series, mounted directly in front of the radiator is sufficient to cool a streret/strip car with very high stall converters. Obviously, there are others whos results may differ. I can only suggest what I've learned from personal experience and testing on a high number of various vehicles.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CPT For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Great Info! STICKIED!

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Kyle
    Vehicle
    '95 Trans Am

Great explanation! I can now just point people here and not have to explain it myself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
    Kyle

just ur everyday slow LT1. wanna try her out?

Banned

Status
    Name
    Big Papi
    Vehicle
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD
    Blog Entries

Had this argument more times than I can recall, frank do you agree it is just as critical to run the fluid at the proper operating temperature rather than as cold as you can get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    JeremY
    Vehicle
    1972 NovA

Awesome write-up Frank. Thanks once again for some tranny education!

Sent from my S4 Mini
    '72 Nova "HadeSS"

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Had this argument more times than I can recall, frank do you agree it is just as critical to run the fluid at the proper operating temperature rather than as cold as you can get it?

i attribute this reason as to why the trans in my camaro/firebird is now on its way out.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Stan Wells
    Vehicle
    1997 WS6 Trans Am

Great info! You just confirmed mine is properly installed.

1997 WS6 TA, Adj. Panhard, Spohn's F/R adj. tubular LCA's, Edelbrock 3 point front strut tower brace, rear relocation brackets, SFC's, Hooker cat back, full poly kit, 8.5 MSD wires, PCMfor less tune, transgo stage 2 shift kit + + and all the free mods.

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

It will mirror engine oil. The colder the fluid is, the thicker it is. The thicker oil will produce more pressure in the trans. Excess pressure can do some pretty serious damage to many areas in the trans.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPT For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Kyle
    Vehicle
    '95 Trans Am

what would good trans temp be? 150-180?
    Kyle

just ur everyday slow LT1. wanna try her out?

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

Have you ever ran a set of two stacked plate coolers in series? Just curious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast