Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 85 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: project Gramps

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

Default project Gramps

Well should of made a project thread a long time ago when I was putting my junk together this spring and winter but anyways I have quite a few things that I need to finish so i figured i would recap what i've done since i tore it apart last november and post up a ton of pictures and what I have to still accomplish.

I bought the car back in 2011 when I was 18. It came from southern Indiana (clarksville to be exact). The car had a built motor that was nothing special (383, stock heads, stock intake, baby hyrdo cam, stock pcm, stock oil pan etc...), had a build th400, nitrous and basically little to now suspension. The previous owner of the car was running 6.70's on a 100 shot with no tuning on the spray, with the car at 3715lbs and unknown to him the trans was welding itself together in 2nd gear due to a improper build which i came to find out later lol

I took the car to get tuned by a local tuner here in Michigan that was supposedly a good tuner named Steve, guy turned out to be a complete idiot and slowed the car down quite a bit ( i sent the tune to Moe on here and he asked if the car even ran OK lol)

so the car sat for a while, while I went to school and worked 50 odd hours a week and didn't do much with it, a fuel system popped up on here for dirt cheap and i snatched it up and installed it on the car (because i wanted to put the car on e85 because of the higher cylinder pressure and i didn't want to pay for race gas) and i had plans on having it tuned by someone else. Had a mail order tune sent to me, and drove the car barely just to see if everything was working and kept noticing the car just falling flat on it's face in 2nd gear, almost like it had a anchor behind it. Then winter rolled around and decided to rip it apart and spend some money

Here is a list of things i upgraded over the winter

• Full chromoly front suspension (k member, upper and lower control arms, 3rd gen style packable hub style spindle,) from MWC (previously stock)
    • flaming river manual pinto rack w bumpsteer from MWC (previously stock)
    • front and rear strange drag brakes from MWC (previously stock)
    • Front and rear dual adjustable AFCO shocks from MWC (previously comp 3 way in rear, kyb front)
    • rear drag bar from MWC (previously spohn sway bar)
    • Cromoly rod/rod MWC LCA'S (previously bmr boxed)
    • MWC true weld in subframe connectors
    • new 8" mechanical diode aluminum stator nitrous fti converter (previously 10' converter that had excessisve slippage)
    • th400 all torn down and had to replace just about everything besides the pump, input and output shaft (complete rebuild)
    • new MWC FAB 9", narrowed 3" per side, 40 spline gun drilled pocket milled pro race axles, 3.70 gear, strange pro hd "hybrid" aluminum case with exclusive aluminum pinion support and billet 1350 yoke, huge 3.3" bearing ends, strange billet caliper brackets, black powdercoat, backbraced, strange LW spool, (previously a 9" moser that i have been wanting to narrow and change alot of things on it, so i ended up selling which worked in my favor
    • cromoly torque arm (slide style design with 4 hole bracket) (previously trak pak
    • MWC rod/rod dual adjustable phb (previously single adjustable poly)
    • MWC front and rear tubular bumper supports (previously had factory ones on)
    • have a 3"x pipe that i plan on running with big bullets on the end (previously a y pipe and bullet, gonna see if my exhaust guy can stuff a 3.5" under the car)
    • ls1 lid set up with chrs1313 ram air (previously vortech elbow and moroso cai)
    • ran all new 3/16 brake line front and rear and relocated my line lock and proportioning valve under the master cylinder
    • new strange manual master cylinder with billet mounting bracket and braided stainless brake lines from MWC
    • powdercoated about 30 pieces on the car (fuel rails, hood brackets, headlight enclosures, etc)
    • replaced just about every single bolt in the car with zinc coated (the gold looking ones that cost a lot of money )
    • replaced front and rear hatch shocks (old ones didn't keep the hood or hatch open lol)
    • removed passenger air bag
    • removed huge ugly a/c box out of the engine bay (made my own plate to block it off )
    • relocated flexible lokar transmission dipstick
    • painted the whole engine bay and underneath the car in a single stage urethane quaser blue
    • also before paint needle scaled and cleaned the whole car and applied 2 coats of chassis saver rust prevenative
    • madman low mount alternator relocation
    • re did the "pre fuel pump" lines before the a1000 with -12an and a chrome/billet -12orb filter so it stays happy and fed
    • coated the strange 3" chromoly driveshaft in chassis saver
    • Now that i sold my rear end and a new one is being built and is 6" narrower i have to get a new set of rear rims, i'm really leaning towards getting these http://www.billetspecialties.com/rac...oublebeadlock/ and selling the front in the future
    • having the car tuned by baker engineering around march/april

all this work is being done by a incompetent 21 year old college kid that lives at home and the car sits in the side of a 2 car carage and i drink lots of beer

When i have some time friday i will post up a bunch of pictures of completed work and where the car sits now with a couple mice living in the intake and make a list of to do things before spring rolls around. I've been stupid busy working 55 hours a week driving a semi/delivering food, college 3 days a week, duck and goose hunting and fishing every weekend and a girlfriend so no time for me right now

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dawdaw For This Post:

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

Attached Images Attached Images

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE